Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I think I'm gonna try a DIY tyvek tarp... can you help point me in the right direction?

Hello all,

So, after some great posts here and a lot of digging, I've decided to give a retry to making a DIY tyvek tarp. Can you help point me in the right direction on what I need/dont need?

My thoughts are that with an 8 foot by 8 foot tarp, I can hang on the diagonal and have a length of roughly 11 feet... Is that long enough? The only way this is really cost effective is if I can find scrap tyvek. Otherwise with $25 for tyvek and another $14 ro so for tape I might as well just grab something like this off of amazon. If I was going to buy tyvek, I was figuring that something like this cut down to 8x8 would do.Or even two sets of this to tape together if necessary.

Then, I guess I'd need some tyvek tape, and a few pieces of paracord that I have laying around to make loops.($13). So, I'm figuring that if the tarp is basically a diamond, I just need a loop on each corner. Two to connect to a CRL (that I recently ordered from Dutch), and one on each side to stake down... Am I missing anything here?

Again, Really... the only reason I have to do it this way is that I would be really cost effective to try out tarps. I'm not opposed to just finding a cheap purpose built tarp setup though (~$40-50) and then reinvesting in the future for a more long-lasting solution. I'll be hanging with my ENO doubleness hammock for now (9.3 feet).

Are there any threads I should be looking at? Any thoughts on my "plan"? I thought I remember seeing one where someone did something very similar where they turned a square chunk of tyvek into a hex tarp?

-jon
    Last edited by jrm27; 06-19-2017 at 13:46.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    Search for Tyvek Tarp on here and there should be discussion. Just make sure you used Tyvek and not Typar. Typar is not as water resistant.
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I, too, wasn't willing to pay for a decent tarp and tried everything to avoid it. I made a Tyvek tarp with tape, but the tape made it too bulky. I took it on a couple of trips, then retired it.

I also tried to get by on cheap $20 tarps. I have two Grand Trunk Funky Forest 10 x 10 tarps ($20 each on Amazon, but I haven't seen that deal since) - they're waterproof, but too heavy and can only be hung in a diagonal, which is not particularly helpful in blowing precipitation. I also bought two Guide Gear 12 x 12 poly tarps from Sportsman's Guide for $20 each - these tarps used to be all the rage on HF, but they leaked like a sieve, even in a drizzle. You don't hear much about them anymore.

I did luck out and found an HH Hex tarp on Amazon for $20. It's a great value, normally $70, but weighs a ton and doesn't go hiking with me. I also have a DIY silnylon tarp, but it's not really a 4-season tarp so doesn't get out all that much. My primary tarp in the HG 4-season Winter Palace cuben fiber tarp. After all my experience trying to go cheap on weather protection, I finally ponied up $395 for the Winter Palace and it performs well in all weather.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just buy a Warbonnet Superfly and call it a day.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably just buy a Warbonnet Superfly and call it a day.
    Really? You wouldn't go for the Winter Palace again?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Really? You wouldn't go for the Winter Palace again?
    Well, yes, now that I know what I know - the Winter Palace is worth every penny. However, back then, I couldn't envision spending $70 for a tarp, and $140 for a Superfly was out of the question. I probably would have been happy with a Superfly, but I skipped that price point and just went for the Winter Palace.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-19-2017 at 20:29.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    A Tyvek tarp is going to 1) excessively bulky, 2) loud when it rains, 3) weak at the seams and may need tending or early replacement, and 4) not necessarily any cheaper. In short, its not as good as it sounds.

You may find that for all of the money you spend trying not to spend money, you end up spending more than if you had just gotten the "good tarp" to begin with.

Cheap alternatives that require no effort or cursing: HH Hex tarp or Kelty Noah tarp.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Easy thing about starting with a tyvek tarp is you can tape it vs sewing a tarp. Sheathing tape is amazing.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    I had considered doing one then realized how much the Tyvek cost and ditched the idea, then I was given a 9' roll of the stuff!!! NOW I might make one for the heck of it! Only have to put tie outs on it!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    I have made quite a few Tyvek tarps. They are noisy in the wind, but I mostly used them for summer sun shades in the back yard over the hammock.

I would make it 9x9 as that is the width of the tyvek.
    Just use a marble at each corner, tied into the tyvek with your tie out and ridge lines. no tape or added expenses, though a folded back corner would be stronger.

The reason I made multiples is if a corner might tear out I just did another whole tarp, but it takes a LOT of wind to tear one out and usually it was due to neglect and continued sun exposure
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    I have made quite a few Tyvek tarps. They are noisy in the wind, but I mostly used them for summer sun shades in the back yard over the hammock.

I would make it 9x9 as that is the width of the tyvek.
    Just use a marble at each corner, tied into the tyvek with your tie out and ridge lines. no tape or added expenses, though a folded back corner would be stronger.

The reason I made multiples is if a corner might tear out I just did another whole tarp, but it takes a LOT of wind to tear one out and usually it was due to neglect and continued sun exposure
    Tom,. Can you dye Tyvek?
    Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast