Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sewing machine

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
    Of course, when things start going wrong with the used one, you won't know if it's you, or if you got a bad machine.
    Very true. My mom gave me a yard sale one and I thought I was unable to sew, but it was just the crappy machine. I think our fabrics (1.1 nylon, silnylon and the like) are tougher on machines than standard stuff, so a machine that'd work fine on cotton might not do so well on outdoor fabrics. Just my speculation.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    Very true. My mom gave me a yard sale one and I thought I was unable to sew, but it was just the crappy machine. I think our fabrics (1.1 nylon, silnylon and the like) are tougher on machines than standard stuff, so a machine that'd work fine on cotton might not do so well on outdoor fabrics. Just my speculation.
    I hear that mentioned at times and I think it is just simply not true. The needles may suffer a bit more at the hands of the synthetics, but in terms of handling and other characteristics, china silk is worse for slipperyness and thinness than silnylon. The older machines usually handled china silk like a champ. I think it is just crappy machines do a crappy job. People don't sew anywhere near like they used to. So a cheap-o machine will not the get the wear and tear from Susie homemaker that folks used to give them. But we ain't Susie homemakers putting the occasional hem on a set of gingham curtains. Some of us use our machines pretty hard.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Hennesy
    Tarp
    Sml asym & LG Rect
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie
    My machine is a 1972 Sears Kenmore 1756. I paid 11.00 for it. Cleaned it up a bit and oiled it. It works great. I have made 3 hammocks, two under quilts, 4 tarps, several bags, tree straps, snake skins, fixed my pants and several of the wife's and daughters clothes along with many other small projects and it has worked well. I can sew through 3 layers of heavy webbing strap with no trouble when I use the right needle and thread combo. The only thing I had trouble with was sewing the synthetic insulation between two layers of the ripstop to make an under quilt. Even with a walking foot in had a very hard time, 99 percent of my trouble was due to inexperience though. This machine does tons of different stitches too, it really is pretty nice for an old machine and is made very well. My only real complaint is that it is slower than some of the newer machines in have seen.
    "I wish I had a swing like that in my back yard"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I hear that mentioned at times and I think it is just simply not true.
    I stand corrected. You know far more than me so no argument there

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cwciwatch View Post
    My machine is a 1972 Sears Kenmore 1756. I paid 11.00 for it. Cleaned it up a bit and oiled it. It works great. I have made 3 hammocks, two under quilts, 4 tarps, several bags, tree straps, snake skins, fixed my pants and several of the wife's and daughters clothes along with many other small projects and it has worked well. I can sew through 3 layers of heavy webbing strap with no trouble when I use the right needle and thread combo. The only thing I had trouble with was sewing the synthetic insulation between two layers of the ripstop to make an under quilt. Even with a walking foot in had a very hard time, 99 percent of my trouble was due to inexperience though. This machine does tons of different stitches too, it really is pretty nice for an old machine and is made very well. My only real complaint is that it is slower than some of the newer machines in have seen.
    If you are making a sandwick with the synth in between pin pin pin. If you are going to turn it to hide the seams inside then _always_ put the synth insulation on the bottom. You may need to adjust the presser foot tension but if the insulation is on the top it is going to snag on the presser foot and cause no end of blue air. Don't ask me how I know this.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
    I stand corrected. You know far more than me so no argument there
    Sorry if I sounded harsh. The reason I brought it up is I've heard dealers and people with a vested interest in sales make the same comment. It just don't make sense to me. Go with the older machines with out a care as long as the needles and bobbins for them are available. With some really ancient machines this can be a problem but most rotary bobbin machines can still be outfitted.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I checking local stores now to see what i find. i am checking goodwin, habitat, and the salvation army. i will check craigslist later

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    30 for a vsm?not sure model but looks in good shape. looks like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-White...item4d0420f010
    Last edited by miyanc; 08-29-2012 at 13:48. Reason: adding link

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    30 for a vsm?not sure model but looks in good shape. looks like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viking-White...item4d0420f010
    Any time I see the likelihood of a misleading title I immediately dismiss the item and the seller as either dishonest or unknowledgeable. Maybe it is me but I have never heard of a Viking White. They are two different companies. The machine is branded White which used to be a good brand but Viking is Husquevanna and White is White. I would say no go. I don't like the smell.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Any time I see the likelihood of a misleading title I immediately dismiss the item and the seller as either dishonest or unknowledgeable. Maybe it is me but I have never heard of a Viking White. They are two different companies. The machine is branded White which used to be a good brand but Viking is Husquevanna and White is White. I would say no go. I don't like the smell.
    that wasn't the one I was just saying that's what it looked like. I will go back to the habitat store tomorrow. This machine wasn't even on the floor yet. So I only go a quick look. The only label I saw said manufactured by vsm. I will try and get a model number.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast