DD Frontline & Travel
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep & Flt Jkt
    Suspension
    Kmk Python Straps

Python Straps or Munter Hitch

Hi all, for simplicity I'm leaning towards Python Straps or similar. They negate the need for tree huggers & are fully adjustable throughout the length of the strap.

However at $30 a pop + $45 to Australia the real ones are not an option. I'm sure they are easy enough to diy but I don't have a sewing machine & wouldn't trust a hand stitch. My local camping sewer refuses to do any work that involves supporting human weight.

I'm not heaps bothered by weight but if someone uses a lighter option that's just as easy I'd love to hear it. A cheaper version would also be great.

Regarding a munter hitch & rope I've read here that some wouldn't trust it. I don't see how it could fail with a couple of hitches to secure it.

Thanks for any input in advance

Hammock
    DD Frontline & Travel
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep & Flt Jkt
    Suspension
    Kmk Python Straps
    Would Amsteel perform well in a munter hitch or is it to slippery?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A large majority of members used webbing around trees to prevent damage. It has been debated how much damage is actually done but to endorse and protect our style of camping, tree straps look better to park rangers and campground managers. If you do use amsteel around a tree, placing several trail sticks between the amsteel and the tree will protect the tree.

The python straps are good from what I have read but they are still too heavy to use if you are weight conscious and they offer less adjustability. If your local hardware store carries cargo straps made of polyester, they make very good tree straps when used with some descender rings as cinch buckles.

Some of the vendors here offer reasonable shipping for polyester webbing. E-mail one of them and find out. I'm not bad mouthing the Python straps but there are less expensive and lighter weight options.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I have a Python Strap set from Kammok -- it's a great webbing strap and suspension line in one. Recommended. Yes, you could make your own. Kammock uses tubular webbing doubled over, so they are quite strong. Any polyester webbing would work fine.

Hammock
    DD Frontline & Travel
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep & Flt Jkt
    Suspension
    Kmk Python Straps
    From some pics & vids it looks like they are made of tube tape used in climbing. It's super strong but from the ones I've seen they soak up some serious amounts of water.

Have you had this happen with them DJ? Great book by the way

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    From some pics & vids it looks like they are made of tube tape used in climbing. It's super strong but from the ones I've seen they soak up some serious amounts of water.

Have you had this happen with them DJ? Great book by the way
    Thanks Benny!

I haven't used the Python Straps in any serious moisture yet, just some slight snowfalls. No moisture issues yet, but I'll give them a dose of water and see how they do.

Hammock
    DD Frontline & Travel
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep & Flt Jkt
    Suspension
    Kmk Python Straps
    Let us know how they go mate.

I've got a roll 25mm webbing on it's way, I know it's strong enough & if it's weeve is tight enough I'll have to find someone willing to sew one up for me. I've had a lot of little projects over the last few months that would have been easy (if I know how to sew) if I had a sewing machine. If only I had the room.

I'm waiting to recieve my 1st order of Amsteel now so I can do up some whoopie slings & shackles. Until then it's using Spectra sailing rope & munter hitch.

Whoever said hammockers are constantly messing with & tweaking their kit was right. I've had mine for a week, used it twice, & have spent way to much time looking for the best suspension system.

From what I've found there is no best, only methods individuals prefer.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Let us know how they go mate.

I've got a roll 25mm webbing on it's way, I know it's strong enough & if it's weeve is tight enough I'll have to find someone willing to sew one up for me. I've had a lot of little projects over the last few months that would have been easy (if I know how to sew) if I had a sewing machine. If only I had the room.

I'm waiting to recieve my 1st order of Amsteel now so I can do up some whoopie slings & shackles. Until then it's using Spectra sailing rope & munter hitch.

Whoever said hammockers are constantly messing with & tweaking their kit was right. I've had mine for a week, used it twice, & have spent way to much time looking for the best suspension system.

From what I've found there is no best, only methods individuals prefer.
    For me, "best" is what I am planning to make to replace what I am already using.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts