Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The RidgeRunner View Post
    All i will say is,

THAT HAS TO GE THE GREATEST NAME FOR ANY PRODUCT......EVER!!

Now i have to resist the urge.
    didn't even think somebody might be using that as their screen name, what are the chances?

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    didn't even think somebody might be using that as their screen name, what are the chances?
    You are lucky i don't have a TM behind my name or else I would have had to settle for a free set-up. lol
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    This thread is killing me...

I really, really, dig the looks of this hammock. It has all the features in a bridge that I always wanted, but couldn't figure out how to get...no shoulder squeeze, side pockets, awesome bug net, lots of room. It's like my blackbird, but morphed into a bridge...different...but much the same. And then the lynx underquilt...

I think I have to get one of these...

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    It has all the features in a bridge that I always wanted, ...no shoulder squeeze.....
    I agree that the wider spreader bar on the WBRR will change the direction of the forces that cause your shoulders to roll forward but there will be shoulder squeeze. It is inherent in the design.

I expect the WB RR will be comfortable for a wider range of people than the BMBH due to the wider spreader bar at the head end.

The two minor drawbacks I see from that decision is the very slight weight penalty and the more complex geometry of the UQ.

Looking forward to seeing one at a hang.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    11'WBBB Multicam
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba w do
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ X 2
    Suspension
    Adj webbing

Big Tall

Oh Well! I'm right at the limit. So much for the Big/Tall.
    BigRed77

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Time for a new hammock?

Looks to be great new hammock. Shoulder squeeze & wt. has limited me to using the Traveler and BB. Cannibals testimonial to no squeeze is good news. Bridges will probably always have a weight penalty. The BB 1.1sl (1st gen) is getting bit old. Sounds like time to squirrel away some $$s for a new hammock!

Brandon, question regarding the 4" section of the head spreader bar. You noted removing increases stability. Less chance of shoulder squeeze with the 4" section inserted? I'm short & relatively light (64", 128lbs). Would the addition or removal of the 4" section make any difference? The Spindrift sock, does it breath enough to let most your vapor escape under colder temps (cooler than 32*F)?
    Noel V.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Tis true. It isn't for lack of trying either. I have a JRB BMBH and a Grizz Bridge at home. I've camped with them a handful of times, but mostly been in the yard trying to make myself dig them. The Grizz Bridge works better for me, but I wasn't able to love it; I like it as a 'friend'. Still, the lineage of the RR is pretty obvious, visually. There is definitely a Grizz in the woodpile when looking at the RR family tree.
    The GrizzBridge friended you on FB C, too, ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The RR is more stable than the Grizz. At least, for someone of my size. That is a huge point for me.
    Two things come to mind. One is that the RR looks to have really big suspension triangles. The hammock is going to rotate relative to the line from top of suspension triangle to the other, and the bigger triangles raise that up.
    The distance between triangle tops on my current GB is 10'. I would guess that distance is at least 13' on the RR.

The other factor is how wide the hammock is in the middle. You might have one around 30", with a narrower foot end (in fabric) as well. That version means there's not a lot of hammock above your mid-section, and that would contribute to a sense of stability. Don't know what the fabric width of the RR at the middle is, but it "looks" closer to 34-36" than it does to 30". That's where I've been aiming with my last few rigs.

The nice thing about just tinkering around with DIY designs is that I get to change my mind all the time....
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-23-2012 at 14:40.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Heh.
    No doubt, Grizz.

I thought I'd join in and say "Kudos" and "great job" to Brandon and his team on
    launching the RidgeRunner and accessories. The timing and coordination it takes is
    often challenging and, from where I'm sitting, it looks like you guys executed
    perfectly!

Great work and I applaud this new offering from Warbonnet!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I agree that the wider spreader bar on the WBRR will change the direction of the forces that cause your shoulders to roll forward but there will be shoulder squeeze. It is inherent in the design.

I expect the WB RR will be comfortable for a wider range of people than the BMBH due to the wider spreader bar at the head end.

The two minor drawbacks I see from that decision is the very slight weight penalty and the more complex geometry of the UQ.

Looking forward to seeing one at a hang.
    One more maybe, same as with the GrizzBridge. And I think the main reason JRB never did respond to many requests ( including from me when I returned my 1st one ( a mistake ) saying I was going to wait for the big boy model) over the years for a wider bridge, though I am just guessing:
    The tarp/spreader interaction. There have been a few folks for whom that one problem was the deal breaker. You need a bigger tarp to over come this issue and/or a wider pitch and/or some sort of additional tarp side pull out design to keep the tarp pulled away from the bars. Or a sock/UQ protector. Storm pitches and broadside wind can quickly become a challenge, especially with smaller tarps.

I actually have some smaller spreader bars for the JRB foot end which have little effect on comfort but make it easier for me to close the foot end and stay away from the bars.

Those of you who have dealt with this problem with the JRB: just picture your current tarp jammed up against your spreader bars because you are trying to achieve a storm pitch or trying to close the end "doors" to block the wind. Or you even have a fairly wide pitch, but broadside wind gusts keep slamming the tarp into your ~ 32 wide spreader bars. Now picture the exact same hanging conditions but your bars, which were already in contact with your tarp, are ~ 7" wider.

Seems to me, the wider the spreader bar the greater the tarp challenge. But since Brandon seems to have designed a tarp meant to deal with this very problem, AND has designed socks and UQ protectors to go with this hammock, which should allow wider pitches while maintaining wind protection, all of the above may be a moot point. At least for those who buy the extra goodies designed for this hammock. Which I am very tempted to do! ( Though I feel sure My wife will probably be less enthusiastic than me!)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-23-2012 at 14:13.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Looks to be great new hammock. Shoulder squeeze & wt. has limited me to using the Traveler and BB. Cannibals testimonial to no squeeze is good news. Bridges will probably always have a weight penalty. The BB 1.1sl (1st gen) is getting bit old. Sounds like time to squirrel away some $$s for a new hammock!

Brandon, question regarding the 4" section of the head spreader bar. You noted removing increases stability. Less chance of shoulder squeeze with the 4" section inserted? I'm short & relatively light (64", 128lbs). Would the addition or removal of the 4" section make any difference? The Spindrift sock, does it breath enough to let most your vapor escape under colder temps (cooler than 32*F)?
    yes, more spread equals less squeeze, less spread equals more squeeze
    yes, should be breathable enough to use zipped up

Brandon

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast