Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DIY Reflectix Pad
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Images

DIY harness for CPAP machine

I have sleep apnea and require a CPAP machine to sleep with. Here is a DIY harness I made to hang my machine while I sleep. I will hang the battery for it separately.

The base is a tray from a small electric "toaster" oven. I drilled holes in the four corners. The I cut 2 pieces of rope, inserted each end in a hole on the same side, then tied a stopper knot (figure eight) to prevent the rope from slipping through the holes. That gave me a loop of rope on the front side and the back side. I was careful to make the loops as close to the same size as possible so it would be level front to back. I checked this with a level to make sure. Then I used the level and found what point on both loops would make it level side to side. I inserted another short piece of rope through the rope loops, perpendicular to the rope (skewered it), and wrapped around twice (once on each side of the skewer, in opposite directions) then tied an overhand knot on top. Then I finished making a small loop with the short piece, connecting the ends with a square knot.

P.S. The reason for making sure it stays level is because there is a humidifier tank on the bottom (the blue part) that has air pass over it. The tank needs to be level.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0dl + DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    This is really cool. I'm a respiratory therapist so I love to see innovation that allows folks to get outdoors regardless of breathing-related issues... just don't forget to charge those batteries

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7 / HH ULBA / GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    SWT JRB 8x8/Poncho
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Leighs/HHSS
    Suspension
    7/64 and 2mm WS
    Images
    Very cool but not what I was expecting because i misread the title of the thread.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    There is actually a special knot for doing exactly what you've done there. Can't see the knotwork in the picture. It's called an asher's equalizer and the knot always rebalances to keep the bottle (load) balanced. Usually the asher's equalizer is tied in a bottle sling.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2246967_tie-...equalizer.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2191872_tie-...jug-sling.html

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Monsoon
    Insulation
    DIY Reflectix Pad
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerP View Post
    This is really cool. I'm a respiratory therapist so I love to see innovation that allows folks to get outdoors regardless of breathing-related issues... just don't forget to charge those batteries
    Definitely won't forget. The battery stays next to my bed on a trickle charger, always hooked up to my machine as a backup that automatically kicks in when the power goes out. (I love my Devilbiss IntelliPAP)

Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    There is actually a special knot for doing exactly what you've done there. Can't see the knotwork in the picture. It's called an asher's equalizer and the knot always rebalances to keep the bottle (load) balanced. Usually the asher's equalizer is tied in a bottle sling.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2246967_tie-...equalizer.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2191872_tie-...jug-sling.html
    Hmmm.. That's not the knot I used. But it looks like a cool knot. I'm going to play with it some.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunt87 View Post
    Very cool but not what I was expecting because i misread the title of the thread.
    LOL, me too!

Hang CPAP from my Hammock Ridgeline

OMG!!! I cannot believe I found this thread! I am not alone!

I too have SEVERE sleep apnea, and I am actually attending a survival course in less than a week. I used my battery powered CPAP once in my ENO Double with bug screen, but left it outside my bug screen and ran the hose through the bug screen door. Less than idea to say the least. Worked, but I really like the idea of hanging it inside my hammock with me. Easier to reach, more hose length, better protected from the elements, and no gap in the bug screen zipper where the hose passes through. LOVE this idea! I am going to make a version like this myself.

Thanks for the inspiration and it is SO nice to know that sleep apnea sufferers can hammock too!!! It is so nice to know there are others like me out there!

My next mission is to figure out a way to warm up the air taken in by the CPAP in cold weather so I am not getting blasted in the face with arctic air while the rest of me is toasty warm. Wonder if JRB would make me a 900 fill down tube for my CPAP hose??? I kid!!!

Will post pics of my version when I am done! Thanks again!

I use a plastic box- cut a hole in the lid. Hang the box upside down with the cpap inside.. it protects it from rain and or birds....

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

CPAP batteries

Hey Folks,
    Great info on the CPAP hanging. Fortunately I don't suffer from this yet (sleep study just said I snore like a chainsaw). One of the parents in my son's scout den does need a CPAP though. I'm trying to help him out with a DIY battery pack.

He's got a REMstar Plus with the humidifier installed. I've already let him know that trying to power the humidifier is going to be a huge problem. Is there anything else to condsider so far as DC power requirements?

I don't expect him to be in a hammock but rather a big family tent in mild weather (above freezing). Are there any other considerations so far as tube condensation, orientation, etc??

Please point me towards any external info. I've been doing some searching but seem to come up with little info about outdoor CPAP use.

Thanks,

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My mom uses a CPAP but I don't (yet) Maybe I will some day. I've been told I snore pretty bad... but I suspect they're exaggerating out of jealousy because I sleep so well

One question comes to mind... My mom's home version CPAP has a water tank that should be filled about half way. It wouldn't take much movement to slosh water out.
    Are the water tanks on the portable versions more inclosed?
    Reason I ask is that I know that hanging anything from the hammock ridgeline or suspension will get rocked pretty good when getting in & out or just moving around in the hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast