Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blackbird and Yeti used for 1st time on backpacking trip

Last week I went up to Big South Fork for a 3 day 2 night backpacking trip. Pics are here http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572456870oEUoKl

This was the 1st time I had taken the Blackbird and the Yeti out for a
    backpacking trip. I had slept in the Blackbird twice at Ed's Hot Springs
    hangout and used a pad those nights. No problem sleeping or hanging it at all.

The first night I sleep good except for a problem with the Yeti (see below).
    We were camped right by Laurel Fork Creek and the coolness helped me
    sleep. The next night I couldn't get comfortable at all. No matter how I laid
    it didn't feel right. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep that night. I
    didn't hang it any differently that I had any other time. We weren't by a
    creek this time so I am thinking I was just to warm. The temps were in the
    50's and it rained.

I used my 3 season down prototype Yeti for the 1st time also last weekend.
    All I did was to add some small biners to each shockcord and snap them on
    the cord going to the rings.

This was the 1st time I have ever used any type of underquilt and it was easy to hook on and make sure the yeti straddled the hammock. Getting in it wasn't any problem. I had read on here that it would slide up and down the
    shockcord easily. It didn't at first but I kept fooling with it and it would slowly start to move.

Now I am not sure what happened but I woke up around 3am for a break and
    I noticed the yeti was gone????..or so I thought. It seems it had somehow
    managed to work its way off from being under the hammock and slide to the other side of the hammock so it wasn't under me at all. Now I know I toss and turn a lot so the only thing i can figure out is as I rolled over the shockcord slipped and went under the hammock. Anyone ever have that happen to them before?

IMO using the Yeti in 50° temps is just way to warm for me. I think that is
    why I couldn't sleep the 2nd night. The first night I slept great and I wonder
    if that is because the Yeti wasn't under me for most of the night.

Oh for a top quilt I used a demo one than I got from Ed a few yrs ago. I
    think it was rated at 50° or so.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Isn't there a way on the Yeti quilt to loosen the cord at the ends to permit more airflow, or even loosen the suspension somewhat? Being too warm I would think is a good class of problem to have and should be easily solvable by a quilt adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    why I couldn't sleep the 2nd night. The first night I slept great and I wonder
    if that is because the Yeti wasn't under me for most of the night.

Oh for a top quilt I used a demo one than I got from Ed a few yrs ago. I
    think it was rated at 50° or so.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ewker, ditch the biners buddy. The loops of shockcord just loop over the whipping masses. They will hold just fine without the biners, I promise. Don't know what biners you are using, but that should take, at least, 2" of slack out of the shockcord. It will be pulled up very tight against you, but somehow does not compress. When it's tight, it doesn't go anywhere during the night. I had similar problems with the synthetic model that had an adjustable suspension. The new KISS method is much better IMO, but the lines do have to be tight.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    while I don't have a 3-season Yeti (winter version for me), I can see how that might happen if certain events happened...
    if you rolled from your back to your right side (normal lay-out BB), my expirence the Yeti moves with you...it shifts over to the right. A second shift back to the left side might allow you to roll over the left edge and roll off the UQ.
    I never had this happen...but I can see how it is possible. I added a shockcord tether to the left side of the Yeti to hold it in place as I roll around (thread here) BTW, not a Yeti in the pic!
    of course, if you slept better I'd suggest you practice the UQ shift!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Isn't there a way on the Yeti quilt to loosen the cord at the ends to permit more airflow, or even loosen the suspension somewhat? Being too warm I would think is a good class of problem to have and should be easily solvable by a quilt adjustment.
    Old models had an adjustable suspension, new ones are set. To 'vent' you just reach out and slide the Yeti up the hammock towards the head-end. This opens a gap between the quilt and the hammock and provides a ton of cool air.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    When it's tight, it doesn't go anywhere during the night.
    I'll second that. I found that the Yeti needs to be somewhat tighter than the other quilt suspension designs.

Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Isn't there a way on the Yeti quilt to loosen the cord at the ends to permit more airflow, or even loosen the suspension somewhat?
    There isn't any cord at the ends to loosen. On the prototype Yeti's, though, it is possible to fold the draft-tubes on each end to the outside of the quilt rather than laying flat on the inside. That will vent it nicely. I don't think it possible with the finalized version, though.

why I couldn't sleep the 2nd night. The first night I slept great and I wonder if that is because the Yeti wasn't under me for most of the night.
    In the 50ºs is cool enough that you should need something as insulation under/in your hammock, so I don't think that is it. You mentioned not being able to sleep, but didn't say you were feeling hot. Perhaps there is another factor?...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Ewker, ditch the biners buddy. The loops of shockcord just loop over the whipping masses. They will hold just fine without the biners, I promise. Don't know what biners you are using, but that should take, at least, 2" of slack out of the shockcord. It will be pulled up very tight against you, but somehow does not compress. When it's tight, it doesn't go anywhere during the night. I had similar problems with the synthetic model that had an adjustable suspension. The new KISS method is much better IMO, but the lines do have to be tight.
    it is just some really small biners. To me it is easier to clip them on since that would keep the shockcord on the yeti in one place. Plus I after I get the hammock hung I don't want to have to undo it to slide the straps thru the Yeti shockcord.

The cords were tight almost to tight against me as it pulled the sides of the hammock in on me. Who knows I may have put it on wrong

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You don't have to undo the hammock straps to put the yeti on....it hangs nicely on the whipping mass, below the webbing.

But I agree, a couple of small novelty biners add very very little weight to it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    In the 50ºs is cool enough that you should need something as insulation under/in your hammock, so I don't think that is it. You mentioned not being able to sleep, but didn't say you were feeling hot. Perhaps there is another factor?...

I was hot and cool all night long. Top quilt off, then on,then off, then on..you get the picture

To me I would considered this yeti to be a winter time underquilt or when temps drop below 50°

Does anyone make a summer underquilt or would the neat sheet underquilt work as one

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Who knows I may have put it on wrong
    I didn't really think about that, but there is a top and bottom to the Yetis. Easiest to see when you lay it flat on the ground and look for the shoulder 'bump'. If you had it reversed, maybe that could be a factor. I've got a small piece of dayglow string tied to the shockcord on the head-end, just to make my life easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    But I agree, a couple of small novelty biners add very very little weight to it.
    Cookies man! It's all about the number of cookies that could be carried instead of biners. Two small novelty biners; that's gotta be at least 1/2 of an OREO.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast