DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie

Klymit inertia X Frame pad

For all you pad users out there. Check this pad soon to come out. I was at a new outfitters shop that just opened up in town today. We we talking about new gear and materials so the guy did a google and brought this product up to show me. It looks pretty interesting. He said it should be out in a few weeks. Don't know how it would do in a hammock.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    I saw this pad awhile ago. Not much on the warmth factor. Also not sure how it would react to a side sleeper or one who moves around a lot. Stick to the neoair.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I think that pad design isn't going to be around long. It just doesn't look that functional. I'll hold judgement until I lie on one. But I really don't see it working very well for any application.

Taking Ultralight too far.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I know that I would never buy something like that. Unless I had an operutnity to give it a try for a bit to see its "magical properties"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Link to the product page: http://www.klymit.com/index.php/prod...riaxframe.html

It's interesting... not sure what to think of it. I guess the real question is how does it compare as weight/comfort to warmth ratio to say, 9oz worth of foam pad. My initial impression is that it wouldn't be too great for hammock use but I'd certainly be curious to hear if anyone gets a chance to try it.

Some relevant tidbits from the product page:

Used in combination with another pad for 4 seasons camping: Simply put the Inertia - X - Frame under any existing pad and it acts like a thermal cot to lift you off the ground for increase warmth and comfort by simply removing your primary pad from contact with the cold ground which doubles to triples the R-value of any other standard pad placed on top.

We have camped on this in areas with day temperatures at camp of about 65 – 70 degrees, and at night of 32. If your day temps are nearing freezing temps we would recommend using an additional pad (i.e. closed cell foam pad) on top of this one at night as the ground will probably be well below freezing.
    Combined with some CCF you could probably get a decently comfortable air mattress out of it for ground sleeping, but I have no idea how that compares for weight to warmth against say, a thermarest or something like an exped downmat.
    Last edited by jloden; 10-22-2010 at 23:18.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    IX
    Suspension
    whoopie
    The guy at the store says it will pack down to the size of a REd Bull can and that it comes with a pump or something. He also said that the spaces allow your SB to loft down into the instead of
    compressing underneath you giving your r value back from your SB. Its one of those products that you wait and see how it reveiws.
    "If the women don't find you handsome,they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    I know this is a really old thread but I was wondering if anyone ever did try this thing. If a sleeping bag really would loft into the spaces, it might be worth it.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    I use both the recon X lite and the full length X Frame on top of my Therarest Ridgerest reflective at the same time inside the pad sleeve of my Big Agnes various temp ratings bags. Just got my HH so my first hang will be this weekend. I have slept on a nylon cot down to 10 F wind chill in that configuration quite comfortably and I also am a side sleeper. Trying to win a XL ultralite on eBay right now. They are great. Will be sleeping out side in he cot in this configuration tonight in expected low 40 F wind chill.
    regards

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordzilla View Post
    I know this is a really old thread but I was wondering if anyone ever did try this thing. If a sleeping bag really would loft into the spaces, it might be worth it.
    I use a full length in my bivi. Love it. It's not noisy like the neoair.
    Never used it in winter so can't comment on how well it insulates.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordzilla View Post
    I have used the 3/4 length, wide Klymit recon on solid river rock when there were no trees available and on primitive 31 mile WW trip down "Rio Chama" NM living out of WW kayak when I should have taken hammock not bivy. Douglas furs. Temp only got down to about 40°F so even mylar space blanket I used one of nights was excessive. I really need to try between layers of WBBB but not sure of benifit mostly just carry occasionally because I know it WILL work if I must go to ground. Try a version of Klymit for yourself if it does not work for you return it. Not for everyone. I like the version with built in minimal pillow and wide enough to keep shoulders off ground but still only a little larger than 12 oz can. Smaller than nalgene 16 oz.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast