Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    [mod] Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest&fleece
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingfool View Post
    It was always a pain trying to find a flat spot for the 2 man tent. Roots, rocks, holes, you guys know what I mean. A few years ago I was in a camping store in Corning, Ny. They had an ENO hammock display. I got in and tried a few. I was sold immediatly. Bought it all. Have'nt been a ground dweller since. Just bought a Clark, Wow! Even better!
    haha, I used to be a tent person too.
    even though I always complained about my back killing me, becuase of sleeping in the tent, when my Dad first bought his first hammock, I wasn't too 'for' the idea.
    But goodness, when we hiked the AT, finding a really comfortable tent spot was SO hard.
    annd then he got the magical Black Bird, and I had to try it out, and I fell in love, [yes with an inanimate object] so voila, I am, and will always be a hammock-er.
    its just cooler.

Welcome to the family!
    ...Says Pawfoot, thats who!! [ Cuz thats how I roll ]
    and Coffins ARE used for transportation...

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    My first love has always been Linville Gorge. Never liked the typical camping sites and that was very limiting as to where one could pitch a tent. Back in the early 70's I had a margin of success with an old V. Era jungle hammock but those were a B'ah'ch to carry and deal with so it went by the wayside. Back in 2000 my son, brother-in-law started an annual Thankgiving Day hike to the gorge and were constantly changing to find the right tent for use ... when we came across HH. Got several of their first models and fell in love. Even with the whole figuring out how to NOT freeze one's arse off. Even had a run at those car sun screens as an option.

Anyway ... still love my HH but have switched to the Assym and a sil tarp ... but hanging in trees is the only way to go. Just had two days with my good friends Ken and Jim and we set up a camp that really can only serve hangers ... and only ... maybe one single person ground dweller.

Haven't looked back since that change back in I believe it was 2001 or early 2002.

Hammock
    Amazonia
    Tarp
    Zpacks hex
    Insulation
    Snug fit
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Found a HH on the web said to Self Self that looks about right. at that time I weighed in at 180# so I got the ULBP loved it. Gained about 40# exceeding the recommended weight limit of 200# went back to my tent for a season or two. Not a good night to be found. Decided that was a good enough reason among others to get back amongst the trees. Proceeded to lose 30+# with more on the way. Since I started hanging out here I have modified my suspension system (Rings and Strapping) obtained an Eagles Nest on sale from Gander Mountain will modify it's suspension add some netting and am contemplating making my own tarp. (the woman I live with gave me instructions on how to use her thread injector) I see my self heading down the path of making my own gear. Is an intervention still possible or is it to late. An aside is when I'm hanging my back no longer hurts when I wake in the AM. So I see another homemade hammock and stand in my room. Leaning toward a Speer type hammock and a stand made of 4"X4"'s

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Last year my friend carried a pack of 35 pounds. His hammock was obviously part of his heavy pack problem. My base pack was SUL (super ultra light = less than 5 pounds).

After my second sleepless night on the ground. He invited me to nap in his HH Expedition. Instantly I was a hanger. Now I have to find a way to get back to SUL.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorus View Post
    Last year my friend carried a pack of 35 pounds. His hammock was obviously part of his heavy pack problem. My base pack was SUL (super ultra light = less than 5 pounds).

After my second sleepless night on the ground. He invited me to nap in his HH Expedition. Instantly I was a hanger. Now I have to find a way to get back to SUL.
    Well, once you've figgered it out, be sure to post ... because my hammock, suspension, tarp and quilts weigh in at 4.92 lbs. .. but I sure am comfortable!!
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    SUL pack list that i created, am planning to use this weekend. However im adding a 5oz camera to be carried around neck, but to be fair it wont qualify as sub 5 after that...

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    Well, once you've figgered it out, be sure to post ... because my hammock, suspension, tarp and quilts weigh in at 4.92 lbs. .. but I sure am comfortable!!
    that and a jolly rancher, and you're set

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    SUL pack list that i created, am planning to use this weekend. However im adding a 5oz camera to be carried around neck, but to be fair it wont qualify as sub 5 after that...
    Thanks for the SUL pack list. VERY Intriguing! Te-Wa under/over quilts may be the way to go.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    whichever works!
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Since I'm the type of guy who jumps into the water without testing the temperature with his foot, I got tired of rocks and roots in my back. About 3 months ago I saw a HH hanging up in Maine at the base of Katahdin (no owner in sight so I couldnt talk/check it out) and was intrigued. After lurking on this website for about a week, I almost ordered a HH, then almost ordered a Clark, then almost ordered an ENO (ya get the idea?). But I ended up emailing Brandon (what's his alias? ) and now i'm on The List for the WBBB and Yeti! Probably gonna go with one of his tarps, too. Its going to be the longest 2 weeks of my recent life!! Glad to meet y'all!

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorus View Post
    Now I have to find a way to get back to SUL.
    Why?

Once I am below about 16-17 pounds, my experience doesn't really change a whole lot with small amounts of weight loss on my back. Will two pounds in your pack actually alter your camping experience?
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast