Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

starting to fall in love

Man, it is a tough choice between the pros and cons of my favorite hammocks. Several of them each really have their individual strong pros and cons.

I still really like my original HHEXPUL with SS, though I have not been using it much in a while. In some ways I think it is the most bomb proof storm shelter I have, what with the built in wind and rain blocking abilities of the UC and the fast drying synthetic pad. For me, when it comes to blocking wind and side driven rain/snow, though not perfect, it is better than a large tarp. Though I usually use it with a large tarp any way, I don't have to worry near as much about a perfect pitch. I'm sure I mainly love it due to nostalgia, as my first couple of weeks worth of super sleep in the woods happened in this hammock. The big discovery of the advantages of hanging happened in this hammock.

My Claytor No Net with Speer Pea Pod is some sort of super comfortable, super warm easy to set up sweet deal. It is also my most comfortable gathered end hammock when it comes to sleeping on my side with both legs more or less straight.

My JRB BMBH, especially with the MWUQ is the all around super comfort king. Zero center ridge problems at my left calf, total flat lay comfort on my back, or fully/partially on EITHER side with legs straight or slightly bent. And it makes a unique sit up with back supported chair/lounger, untouched by other hammocks. And it is GREAT with a pad. It has been my overall favorite comfort wise for a while.

Each of the above( and others) has has it's own list of little imperfections. But I can be way happy in any of them compared to on the ground.

Due to initial reports, I had super high hopes for the WBBB 1.7 dbl, but I was unable to quite join the crowd in declaring it my fav, despite it's many appealing design features. Immediately fell for the "shelf", the stock suspension/buckles were the best I had seen, the net was extremely functional and stayed far from my face. It is extremely comfortable on my back with all that shoulder room. It was pretty comfortable on my left side with legs straight( not quite as much as the Claytor and def not as much as the BMBH), but not so much on my right side. However, it was a bit better than my Claytor for left side fetal, and I can not do fetal in the BMBH. So that makes it the best for left side fetal. And though a benefit in some ways ( like the shelf!), I wasn't crazy about the wall on the right side blocking my vision, not being able to get the net/wall all the way out of the way on the right and not being able to reach out on that side. The main thing though was: pressure on my left calf, which was as bad as any of my gathered end hammocks, and maybe worse than most. I seemed to be suffering with that problem way more than most others. And it is a bit heavier than most of my hammocks, though not more than the BMBH with bars.

So these minor drawbacks kept me from jumping on the band wagon and joining the crowd declaring it best hammock ever. Though I'm sure it was for many, it was not quite able to take that position for me.

But lately, I am just a little closer to joining the crowd( still not quite!). See, the thing is: if I put the leg pad in the pocket, that gets rid of about 90% of the left calf problem, and with or with out the pad, if I just use my old HH trick of a stuff sack under my legs, then that gets rid of 100% of the problem. At that point, I have comfort matching any and exceeding most other hammocks, plus I have all of that shoulder area spaciousness, plus stuff goes in the shelf and doesn't fall out as I get in and out. And like my Claytor, it works perfectly with my torso Climashield WB UQ /leg pad combo. I really like this combo, since I always carry a pad anyway, it is a very weight efficient approach, and the calf pressure is automatically dealt with.

OTOH, I remember it also worked well at a windy 18*F with my MWUQ, which kept me from having to worry about any body part getting on a cold spot. So that is a winner also. And of course, it is easier to close a tarp down on the ends to block wind when you don't have to deal with spreader bars, though they can be dealt with.

So, good stuff. It is still a tough call for #1 IMO, but this thing is a definite contender for #1 overall, despite the drawbacks I have mentioned. I can find drawbacks with all of my hammocks. Unless, of course, I am comparing them to a pad on the ground!

Images
    i've been messing with the lower leg ridge too, and it does seem to be intrinsic to end gathered hammocks and also to laying diagonal. probably more noticable the more diagonal you get.

i find having little force on the rl lessens it, but the reason it was never a problem for me is because i use the same setup: leg pad and knee-sac combo, and it does get rid of 100% of the problem. i don't notice the knee ridge much or if at all with just the leg pad, but the added comfort of the knee-sac is substantial imo. i feel the knee sac really goes a long way toward insulating my legs as well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good write up. I hopefully someday will try a warbonnet but for the mean time I am really happy with the BMBH. I'm jealous to see you have the MWUQ to go with it. I'm not sure I need it here in AZ but I might have to get it anyway this winter, then I can have peace of mind. It was interesting to see how you compared your hammocks. I never would have guessed the claytor no net was most comfortable for side sleeping with legs straight. Is it even more comfortable then the BMBH in that position? It would be interesting to see which hammock you would keep if you had to get rid of all others.

Hammock
    BBWB
    Tarp
    reflective cuben
    Insulation
    wb bag and sc uq
    Suspension
    testing w slings
    knee sac????????/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by piotr01 View Post
    knee sac????????/
    yeah, you know... a large stuff sack filled with whatever, placed under your knees (while laying on your back)...it's really so much better (for me) than laying on my back without it. hands down favorite sleeping position

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Good write up. I hopefully someday will try a warbonnet but for the mean time I am really happy with the BMBH. I'm jealous to see you have the MWUQ to go with it. I'm not sure I need it here in AZ but I might have to get it anyway this winter, then I can have peace of mind. It was interesting to see how you compared your hammocks. I never would have guessed the claytor no net was most comfortable for side sleeping with legs straight. Is it even more comfortable then the BMBH in that position? It would be interesting to see which hammock you would keep if you had to get rid of all others.
    Well, as I'm sure you know, if you ever do any winter camping in your AZ mountains, you might need that MWUQ and then some. Though it was only one night, I still remember a MINUS 23 one night at my house in Flagstaff, and colder reported in some surrounding areas! That was rare, but there were plenty of near zeros, and even in the late fall and early spring it was not uncommon to hit 20 or lower. So you might find a use for it even in snowbird country, sunny AZ!

No, the Claytor is not more comfy than the BMBH on my side (with legs straight, BB more comfortable than Claytor in fetal, can't really do full fetal with BMBH, as I'm sure you know). I'd just say it is most comfy among the gathered end hammocks I have tried(EDIT: in that particular position- on side legs straight or nearly so), and comfy enough, but the BMBH is the champ (IMO) for this position(EDIT: and possibly the champ on my back, and definitely so if not using anything under my knees). The great deal with the narrow Claytor was that I could get comfortable enough on my side- especially with legs straight- then I could rotate my PeaPod so that I had a breathing hole right around my nose and mouth, with the top of the pod laying down in contact with my body and head, with my head fully covered. That was really warm and comfortable, very similar to being in a mummy bag without the claustrophobia and movement restrictions of an actual mummy bag. So that great compatibility with the PeaPod would be a main reason to use the Claytor.

Actually, among these hammocks, it is choosing the insulation almost as much as it is choosing the hammock. For example, the MWUQ is such a perfect fit requiring almost zero fuss on the super comfortable BMBH and good to really cold temps, that is a hard combo to resist. And the SS on the HH has it's strong pros. And the WB torso UQ on the WB ( or on the Claytor for that matter). Choices, choices among good choices, and among various pros and cons!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-19-2009 at 17:28.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yeah, you know... a large stuff sack filled with whatever, placed under your knees (while laying on your back)...it's really so much better (for me) than laying on my back without it. hands down favorite sleeping position
    You know, a case can be made for that with ANY hammock, even the BMBH, though I have not yet done that with the BMBH. In surgery, when we work on the old folks for cataract surgery- sedated but awake with eyes numbed- we routinely put a pillow under their knees. Even though the bed is as flat as- well- a bed, this makes a significant dif in their comfort, though mainly their lower back rather than their legs. I don't see why it would not be an additional benefit in any hammock, though maybe more in some than others.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    to me that sounds really uncomfortable.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Give it a shot, Ewker... It sounded bizarre to me at first, but it works really well. Also keeps your clothing warm and, if you use a dry bag, it keeps your body's humidity from getting the clothes wet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    You know, a case can be made for that with ANY hammock...

i agree, it works well in conjunction with a tq also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast