Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    I was concerned about the bulk too, but it stuffs into a 9x19 sack. It will still fit my vapor trail pack but I would not recomend a quilt any thicker if you plan to pack it. Update: This climashield is pretty amazing stuff, I think it's actually lofted up a little more the last couple of days. -- John
    try tossing it in the dryer, it will loft even more.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    How much lower do you think you could go with just the one layer of 5 oz xp, do you think you could go to 20 with out a hitch or would you have to wear more clothes, etc.?

I'm thinking of making a quilt and UQ out of this stuff but as I don't sleep out when its in the single digits 2 layers seems like over kill for my needs.
    you could do a layer of the 5.0 and then a second layer of the 2.5 instead.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    How much lower do you think you could go with just the one layer of 5 oz xp, do you think you could go to 20 with out a hitch or would you have to wear more clothes, etc.?

I'm thinking of making a quilt and UQ out of this stuff but as I don't sleep out when its in the single digits 2 layers seems like over kill for my needs.
    I think 2 layers would be overkill too. Usually the 20's is about as low as it gets, and if it gets lower I will just add clothing, so I am covered. The climashield really surprised me. My wife ordered it, and she ordered 5 yards. I'm glad because she is impressed with it too, and now wants to make the whole family quilts out of it. She is also about to sew an insulated hammock using the climashield, which I want her to double the bottom up on the butt and shoulders.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    She is also about to sew an insulated hammock using the climashield, which I want her to double the bottom up on the butt and shoulders.
    How is she going to do this so that the insulation isn't compressed when you're in it? Just curious...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    try tossing it in the dryer, it will loft even more.
    I'm guessing that would be on low heat? Does this make it loft better after it has been put in a stuff sack ?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I do mine on no heat...just fluff. It does help rebuild the loft after a long trip and takes some of the lingering moisture out of it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    How is she going to do this so that the insulation isn't compressed when you're in it? Just curious...
    She will make the main hammock body, then we will hang it up. I'll get in it for a while using a ccf pad, and let the nylon stretch. After we think that the nylon has fully stretched, she will measure the underside of the hammock, and then just cut enough insulation and ripstop to cover it. This should make it where I do not crush the bottom insuation after I get in and settled.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    She will make the main hammock body, then we will hang it up. I'll get in it for a while using a ccf pad, and let the nylon stretch. After we think that the nylon has fully stretched, she will measure the underside of the hammock, and then just cut enough insulation and ripstop to cover it. This should make it where I do not crush the bottom insuation after I get in and settled.

Dwight
    Sounds good. Your task in this procedure sounds especially difficult . I think I need to get an assistant too...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Sounds good. Your task in this procedure sounds especially difficult . I think I need to get an assistant too...
    This morning it would have dificult, the temp was 11F with a wind chill of 0 (yes Zero degrees F) . I would have needed another ccf pad, and my old 0 degree mumy bag. Oh, and another assistant, there would have been no way she would done her best measuring at those temps lol . She's a good wife, but sometimes she gets lippy when its cold.

I am so glad she doesn't read this
    Dwight

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    There are plenty of DIYers around you, just sucker... er ask them to come help you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast