Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

1.1 Sil is HOW water proof?

With the words "sil nylon" being in so many thread it was hard to find the answer to this question so I just thought I wound ask and see what answers I could get. Oh, and if someone DOES know the thread I am looking for..link me baby!

Now the question. I got some really light silnylon from Joannes and I am just wondering about water proofness again. Does this light weight nylon HOLD water or just shed it really well? Of course I know there are many different makers of the cloth but I am making a poncho out of the stuff so..

I have read about the "misting" sometimes encountered with sil nylon tarps. I have also heard some people talking about this material breathing and others saying it doesnt. I must be confusing too much information or something.

The test I did last night was simple. I just used a rubber band to make a pocket of the material over a 12oz cup. I then filled the pocket with about 3 in of water. It did not pour right though but it did eventually all get though in less than 15 min I would say.

I will be a little sad if my poncho wont work because it turned out fairly well...

Adam

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Are you using the poncho as diving gear?

Seriously, my tarp (and a lot of other tarps) are made of the stuff - we'd use something else if it wasn't effective "enough".

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    With the words "sil nylon" being in so many thread it was hard to find the answer to this question so I just thought I wound ask and see what answers I could get. Oh, and if someone DOES know the thread I am looking for..link me baby!

Now the question. I got some really light silnylon from Joannes and I am just wondering about water proofness again. Does this light weight nylon HOLD water or just shed it really well? Of course I know there are many different makers of the cloth but I am making a poncho out of the stuff so..

I have read about the "misting" sometimes encountered with sil nylon tarps. I have also heard some people talking about this material breathing and others saying it doesnt. I must be confusing too much information or something.

The test I did last night was simple. I just used a rubber band to make a pocket of the material over a 12oz cup. I then filled the pocket with about 3 in of water. It did not pour right though but it did eventually all get though in less than 15 min I would say.

I will be a little sad if my poncho wont work because it turned out fairly well...

Adam
    That's not sil. Sil would not have leaked through in 15 minutes. Probably calendered (heat treated nylon/shiny, kinda looks like sil but is not waterproof at all,) to leak through that quickly. Even DWR would have taken most of the day for 3 in. water to soak through.

Did you try that same test with the nylon sportswear fabric I sent? That should be totally waterproof - s/b no leak through at all. I have a little more of that fabric in a different color if you want to make a poncho out of that.

BTW, the bishop's sack on my BB was 1.1 sil (from Brandon.) Should have compared your fabric to that b4 you shipped it back to me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Deep sea hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Are you using the poncho as diving gear?

Seriously, my tarp (and a lot of other tarps) are made of the stuff - we'd use something else if it wasn't effective "enough".
    LOL...nice. Nope not diving gear. My question isnt so much whether silnylon will work as it is if anyone has noticed different qualities of the fabric. So silnylon IS permeable? I thought I read that somewhere.

Adam

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Back to the drawing board!

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    That's not sil. Sil would not have leaked through in 15 minutes. Probably calendered (heat treated nylon/shiny, kinda looks like sil but is not waterproof at all,) to leak through that quickly. Even DWR would have taken most of the day for 3 in. water to soak through.

Did you try that same test with the nylon sportswear fabric I sent? That should be totally waterproof - s/b no leak through at all. I have a little more of that fabric in a different color if you want to make a poncho out of that.

BTW, the bishop's sack on my BB was 1.1 sil (from Brandon.) Should have compared your fabric to that b4 you shipped it back to me.

I posted then last post as you were typing Fishinfinn.

DUH, I do have a number of other gear that IS quality Silnylon. I have a Etowah Outfitters tarp and a HH hex tarp I will test. I am a little sad that my poncho might suck. I will just have to do the DIY silicone treatment everyone is talking about in the other thread!

Man, I could have sworn that was water proof. Has anyone else seen this lightweight gray ripstop at Joannes? I will do the test on that material you sent me too FF.

Adam

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    At the risk of oversimplifying things... put your poncho on.. since it is finished... and go stand in the shower. You'll know in short order if it will function for you or not.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Made my very first tarp from that material ... seam sealed it, rigged it up, water tested it with a hose, leaked all over, I felt like an arse, Decided that it was "just a mock-up anyways and now I can make the real thing", wept, laughed, threw a cat off a bridge, started again.
    I feel the pain.
    I always get my silnylon from Ed speer!!!! always top notch and a sticker included.....
    Shug of the Seeping Syl
    Last edited by Shug; 02-08-2009 at 14:15.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post

Adam
    Sounds like DWR to me, not silnylon.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I've never seen Sil at JoAnne's, only DWR. It is what my BB sock is made of, and I know that the sock is vapor permeable, and only water "resistant."

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Doh!

Thank you all so much for the quick replys...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    At the risk of oversimplifying things... put your poncho on.. since it is finished... and go stand in the shower. You'll know in short order if it will function for you or not.
    That was actually my next step but I am starting to think I KNOW how it will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Made my very first tarp from that material ... seam sealed it, rigged it up, water tested it with a hose, leaked all over, I felt like an arse, Decided that it was "just a mock-up anyways and now I can make the real thing", wept, laughed, threw a cat off a bridge, started again.
    I feel the pain.
    Shug of the Seeping Syl
    It is good to know someone else as tried the same material to know what I am talking about. I was going to make a coat and some other things that need to be waterproof so i am glad I found out. Smarter people than me would have did more testing and less assuming. Time to put an order in somewhere for some good stuff.

sigh...I think I will go outside and find our cat....

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Sounds like DWR to me, not silnylon.
    I even recently made my quilt (with about 13 or so oz of down in it) out of this stuff. I am not sad about the fact that it is just DWR (might breathe better) but it is good to know that it is not water proof so I dont treat it as such.

On a side note. Does anyone have a decent poncho/tarp pdf or link.

Adam

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast