Page 86 of 320 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast
    Or maybe set the tripods up on some sort of a stand?

Or you could look at some of the pipe stands that could be made to fit the exact footprint you have.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaitch View Post

Or you could look at some of the pipe stands that could be made to fit the exact footprint you have.
    Right, or this. ^ If it's a winter setup that will be staying put, you can make a rigid stand that will work. There are any number of designs for stands that have a smaller footprint than these do.

The tripods are popular because they're portable but maybe that's not what you need necessarily...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ENO Pronest
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 Zeppelin
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Can you shoot from corner to corner? You can get about 15' that way.

Otherwise you have a couple of options. You make the stand shorter and use a short hammock, or you could have the tripods as far apart as possible and let the pole extend beyond them. It's possible to do that but it's trickier. If you don't hang the hammock from just under the attachment points, the ridge pole is subject to a lot of flex. Many have had failures because of this, but it's possible to overcome, especially if you're not too heavy.
    I could feasibly shoot corner to corner but I fear it will take up too much space. I am hoping to get my winter shelter built next week. I love the functionality of this stand but I have a feeling I will need to custom build to fill the space. You all are amazingly inspirational. Thank you.
    It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Awww shucks...

It never hurts to help!

height of tarp over hammock?

Ok, i am only 6'4" and 230 or so, but I was wondering... how high do you folks have your tarp over these hammocks? Seems like for me, I would like to be able to walk up to my hammock, get in and get to sleep without too much bending.
    How high is a tarp when friends come to visit while it is raining out?
    All the pictures I have seen show the hammock right close to the ground with the tarp just above it.
    I' thinking I will be using longer poles just to hang my wider than usual tarp from.
    Long enough so that it will reach to the ground beside the hammock but still be high enough to walk under.
    What am I missing here? If this is not for this thread can someone point to the right one?
    Thanks
    PoleHangin everywhere

aluminum poles

My aluminum military poles will be delivered tomorrow 16 of them, to duplicate what someone else on this forum has done (maybe several of you).
    I like the idea of eight foot poles for the stand, and a 16 foot ridge pole.
    Shipping weight for all was 25 pounds, and the cost was $59.99 including a bag.

Now I can set up anywhere (legal) at anytime with no worries about finding trees or wondering if the ground is too hard or soft for stakes
    TD stand is a great idea, but I loved the idea of using aluminum in 4 foot sections. Makes the stand much more portable also

Does it make any sense to start another thread on just the aluminum version of the TD stand?

Just thinking.
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Petez, it all depends. Depends on your stand, your tarp, the weather, everything.

For example, you might put your tarp over top of the ridge pole if you aren't expecting rain, or tuck it in closer under the ridge pole for more inclement weather. Just depends. Some shorter stands, (shorter in length that is,) have had to find ways to wrap the tarp over the stand, but if you're making one 16' long you certainly won't have that issue.

I think it will be clearer to you when you get your stand put together that you have many options.

Congrats on the purchase! Where'd you get that deal? I'm really tempted for car camping to have the 4' lengths...

Start another thread? Why not? There are at least half a dozen or more using the aluminum stands like you're getting.

Congrats on the purchase! Where'd you get that deal? I'm really tempted for car camping to have the 4' lengths...

I found this about a month ago in this thread I think, cut and pasted it and sent it to the seller. Will let you know how they are tomorrow when they arrive FedEx.

(After contacting an ebay seller directly, he sold me 16 poles for $54.99 shipped. The poles worked great for me and he would pass on this deal to other people as well. If you would like a bag with it it would be $5 more.)
    Their ebay name is little_apple_liquidation and their email is [email protected]
    PoleHangin everywhere

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    That's right I remember that, only I temporarily lost track of it in my mind...

thanks.

And pictures when you get your stand going!

aluminum poles

My aluminum poles just arrived!
    Could not be happier
    Just the same as all the pics of military poles.
    Will make a wonderful portable hammock stand, but I think the total weight is more than 25 pounds
    PoleHangin everywhere

• + New Posts
  • Page 86 of 320 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast