Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Regional Forums in Hangouts

Has anyone ever considered breaking the Hangouts forum/thread down with sub forums dedicated to a geographic region? Maybe have sub folders for New England, South East, Great Lakes......the list goes on. This would organize that section of the forums more and keep hangs that produce multiple threads (like the Hoosier Hang) more consolidated and it would allow users to more quickly find hangs in their area of interest.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    To cover each geographic region, there would be more sub-forums than there are active threads in that forum at any given time..at least for now. Perhaps as the forum grows that will become necessary, though.

In the meantime, it's easy to scroll through the list of titles and subscribe to the ones you are interested in attending.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Banned
    Images
    This would probably result in a bazillion sub-forums that get little to no usage...

That said, I would love to see this happen. Even if my area only had a half-dozen or so threads, that would at least give us (of course, "us" right now seems to be "just me"... but I'm working on that) *something* to help get together easier.

All I ask... if you guys do this....

Please, don't lump "Northern California" in with those "bay area people" :-p

California is longer than Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Washington, and Florida all put together!!

"Northern California" makes up about the same space as from the Northern end of Pennsylvania to the Southern end of Washington. Typically from the Northern border down to the North of Santa Rosa / Sacramento.

Than you've got "Central California" which is Santa Rosa / Sacramento down to San Luis Obispo / Bankersfield.

Than you've got "Southern California" which is from there down to the MX border.

Each of these regions realistically should be their own sub-category. Much the way that Alaska should be a couple of regions. And, some might say that Texas should be a couple of regions.

All in all... this would make a hell of a mess for the owner of hammockforums... but, I think it would be an awesome next step in the progress of this website!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think it's a great idea, but I agree with AS...not ready yet.

We recently re-organized the subforums to make things more intuitive, and one of the results of that was cutting down the number of subforums. There currently aren't enough trip threads to warrant the geographical approach...but there was only one hammock hangout in the country when we started HF, and that was Ed Speer's yearly SEHHA in Hot Springs. Then we started the annual HF Winter Hang at Mt Rogers, and the Tennessee one, and the Mid-Atlantic one, and the Colorado one...so we're starting to grow. And several one-off get-together threads pop up, too. So we're growing, and one day I'm sure we'll have enough threads to justify dividing that subforum by geography. Just not yet.

But it's definitely a good idea to keep in mind.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Don't think you need to get too specific.

Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, Northwest. Just that alone would narrow down the posts you need to look at by a large margin.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    RedwoodGuy:
    I used to work with a couple of Texans who used to remind me on a regular basis that TEXAS is a Country in its own rite!!!!! Not picking on Texans, great bunch of guys, but I couldn't help but laugh when one of their friends visited and introduced himself with his belt buckle(visual image now: thumbs behind buckle the size of a #4 washtub base and a giant Howdy!!!!!!!)............I know, I know no stereotypes are to be brought up here but it was funny!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post

Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, Northwest. Just that alone would narrow down the posts you need to look at by a large margin.
    yeah what he said

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post

Add in Central and you have what we need to break down the Texas regions.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    RedwoodGuy:
    I used to work with a couple of Texans who used to remind me on a regular basis that TEXAS is a Country in its own rite!!!!! Not picking on Texans, great bunch of guys, but I couldn't help but laugh when one of their friends visited and introduced himself with his belt buckle(visual image now: thumbs behind buckle the size of a #4 washtub base and a giant Howdy!!!!!!!)............I know, I know no stereotypes are to be brought up here but it was funny!!!!!!
    Whats you point?

• + New Posts