Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I think the difference between this forum and Whiteblaze is that just about everyone that posts here has the common bond of hammock hanging....regardless of what we're discussing. This forum could be talking the flight of the bumblebees and it would never turn into a Whitebaze. Whiteblaze caters to a much more expansive audience. When it's all said and done we'll still be hammock hangers and the focus will always return to and revolve around hammocking. I think if it's related to hammocking and supports the hammocking way of life then it ought to be good to go. Just my humble opinion.

Miguel
    second that
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

So I was laying in my hammock wondering what the ratio of alcohol stoves to Jet Boils was at the Mt Rogers campout.....

--cargo

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    So I was laying in my hammock wondering if alcohol had thinned anyones blood at the Mt Rogers campout ...... They could get credit for a couple degrees lower if alcohol was consumed I'm just jealous I wasn't there

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    So I was laying in my hammock wondering if alcohol had thinned anyones blood at the Mt Rogers campout ...... They could get credit for a couple degrees lower if alcohol was consumed I'm just jealous I wasn't there
    LOL not that I noticed...although after Friday night, I kinda wished I'd brought a flask of Jack or something...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    second that
    Third that.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Look - I agree with a lot of what's being said. At the same time, I hate the clutter that junks up WB so much of the time, and I don't want to see this site go that way. I love this setup too much.

Apart from anything else, try to consider that Jeff and Troll made this forum because WE requested it. And whatever guidelines they set are because they want it to be a good place for US to talk about hammocking. I said what I said about non-hammock topics because I know they're both very busy and I didn't want to make more work for them since they're nice enough to provide US with this forum.

I'm honestly getting a little irritated at the sarcastic posts that are springing up all over the place. And the comments that I somehow 'hijacked' this thread. I love this place as much as anybody. If nothing else, I've been more of a proponent of moving topics here than most people. So lay off, OK guys? I thought I screwed up by straying off-topic and I tried to make up for it. End of story.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    LOL not that I noticed...although after Friday night, I kinda wished I'd brought a flask of Jack or something...
    Sounds like its time to break out the flask, Can I have some? I enjoy my hammock and it is the center piece of my outfit but it is only part of the picture. My pack, stove, clothing etc compliment my hammock and I would like to discuss this on one site with people that understand using a hammock. I think everyone was wondering where the line was and your post just renewed the discussion. I think it is a bigger picture item for this site not directed at you. I was fine with the Whiteblaze site even though I am not an AT hiker because it did bring more input from non hammock sources. Nothing like a ground dweller to point out a problem with your setup

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I thought I was pretty clear that stoves were off topic for this site. It's not a hiking site, it's a hammocking site. Gear that's directly related to hammocks, to using hammocks, or that directly affects how you use your hammock is on topic. Anything else is not. Thus, asking what trekking pole works for setting up a hammock on the ground is still primarily about hammocks.

If you want to say "I used an alcohol stove to heat a water bottle to stay warm in my hammock," that's fine. If someone follows up that post with "What kind of stove did you use and how long did it take the water to boil?" then that should go to a PM.

A good natured jab here and there is fine, even if it's a bit off topic...as long as the thread remains primarily about hammocks. I don't want to be a stickler about every single post...that's too stuffy for most of us...but it's the intent to keep the forum on topic that I care about.

If you're still unclear about what's appropriate, please PM me instead of shooting random "It's not fair!" comments into the other threads.

Now can't we all just get along? And if you're still pissy then I'll buy the beer at the next campout.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Now can't we all just get along? And if you're still pissy then I'll buy the beer at the next campout.
    I think I might have to be pissy before the next campout, in that case

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I thought I was pretty clear that stoves were off topic for this site. It's not a hiking site, it's a hammocking site. Gear that's directly related to hammocks, to using hammocks, or that directly affects how you use your hammock is on topic. Anything else is not. Thus, asking what trekking pole works for setting up a hammock on the ground is still primarily about hammocks.

If you want to say "I used an alcohol stove to heat a water bottle to stay warm in my hammock," that's fine. If someone follows up that post with "What kind of stove did you use and how long did it take the water to boil?" then that should go to a PM.

A good natured jab here and there is fine, even if it's a bit off topic...as long as the thread remains primarily about hammocks. I don't want to be a stickler about every single post...that's too stuffy for most of us...but it's the intent to keep the forum on topic that I care about.

If you're still unclear about what's appropriate, please PM me instead of shooting random "It's not fair!" comments into the other threads.

Now can't we all just get along? And if you're still pissy then I'll buy the
    beer at the next campout.
    I'll bring a big mug because I have to admit I'm still feeling a wee bit prissy right about now. So let me see if I have this straight.....in essence you can stray off topic as long as you are creative and relate it directly back to hammocking. That should be fun!

I guess I can't quite understand why this post about stoves has been singled out when thread topics such as...."coffee table book idea"....."poison ivy vs stealth camping"....or "great weather site" are deemed appropriate. I didn't bother looking back further than the initial page.

This is your site Jeff so I guess that makes you the boss. I'll try to stay within the (in my opinion) somewhat foggy parameters of posting. If I stray too far in the future feel free to use your power to yank my post and send it off to the nether-lands of cyberspace.

I appreciate the hard work you've put into creating this site and I will continue to visit it albeit with a somewhat more cautious eye.

Happiest of hanging, Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast