Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images

Another noob UQ alt post

Because I'm still fairly new to hanging (just started this spring) and have done only a few chilly nights (none cold) and because I'm too cheap to buy an UQ this year (and like run on sentences) I needed to do SOMETHING to keep the cbs away. I've tried with a CCF pad and hated it, the bunching, rolling off etc. Drove me nuts. /u/Slo mentioned this stuff called Reflectix and /u/ckmaui told me to go to lowes and get some. Check.

Still wasn't thrilled about having it in the hammock with me, plus needed to do a sewing project of some sort... I wanted to make a mini hammock for my daughter (3) so she could hang with daddy in the backyard. So I made this 7' blue thing with sewn channels on all sides. Turned out to be perfect for shock cord and mounting to the bottom side of my hammock. Check.

After a few variations (I got the 16" width and taped them together with duct tape) and watching Shug (again) and reading Just Jeff's SPE page I came up with this layout.
    IMAG0080[1].jpg

The wings fold in and it all rolls up super small (16" wide right?) comes in at 13oz. (Not that it matters to "walk in" / car camper me....)

Here's the 'under hammock.' Uses mini S-biners on the shock cord to attach to the whoopie slings. By using the side channels (like an UQ) I can slide it back and forth until it's centered up under me, then cord locks to adjust end channel shock cord to keep it in place.
    IMAG0078[1].jpg

I use a 20* Coleman bag (it's big, heavy, and super warm) that will someday be replaced with quilts and used this setup two nights ago in the back yard when it got down to 40*. There was a steady 5mph wind from the north, tarp pitched high...frankly I was too hot to sleep comfortably. So I guess it works!

Leading an outing next weekend with a group of non-campers, I'm excited to see how it all holds up. As always, feedback and suggestions are always appreciated. (And I'm not planning on winter camping...this year)

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    Hmmmm, I may have to try something similar - I've been wanting to buy some reflectix anyway to make some cozys.
    I often sleep in my office where I have one of my tablecloth hammocks hanging from eye-bolts. I use a thermarest pad but tried hanging another hammock underneath with a stadium blanket thing (think fleece on one side and poly on the other - folds up with carrying handles) in between. Unfortunately, it would "swim" all over the place and I got tired of trying to clip it / cord it to keep it in place.
    I think something like you made may have some rigidness to it that may keep it in place. Not sure I'd want to pack it but it may work for home use.

Eventually, I'll get me an UQ!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Nice idea -- please post updates and let me know how it goes.

I just started hanging this Spring so have never had a chance to test my UQ. I'm doing some lakeside camping this weekend -- lows expected in the high 50's-low 60's. My insulation is a PLUQ and a 40F topquilt so I'll be interested in seeing how hot/cold I end up. I've been considering adding some windshield reflectors or something similar, but I like your idea.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon woodland camo
    Tarp
    DIY woodcamo 11x10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, HG 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie / cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonACraft View Post

Leading an outing next weekend with a group of non-campers, I'm excited to see how it all holds up. As always, feedback and suggestions are always appreciated. (And I'm not planning on winter camping...this year)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
    I'm doing some lakeside camping this weekend -- lows expected in the high 50's-low 60's. My insulation is a PLUQ and a 40F topquilt so I'll be interested in seeing how hot/cold I end up. I've been considering adding some windshield reflectors or something similar, but I like your idea.
    So, how did your outings go?
    I went out for an overnighter here in TN last weekend and it got down below 40. Unfortunately, I got cold! I was using a 32 degree wally special down cocoon sleeping bag and a thermarest pad along with a fleece blanket type stadium blanket rig underneath it. As I mentioned in my other post, it "swam" all over the place and where I slipped off, I got cold. My feet got a little cold too even with a reflectix cook cozy in the sleeping bag foot box.
    I really want an UG now! I may try to rig up something with the extra reflectix I have. I may make a pad like JasonACraft and use another homemade hammock underneath to hold it in place. Maybe I'll get an UQ for Christmas!

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ccartertn View Post
    So, how did your outings go?
    I went out for an overnighter here in TN last weekend and it got down below 40. Unfortunately, I got cold! I was using a 32 degree wally special down cocoon sleeping bag and a thermarest pad along with a fleece blanket type stadium blanket rig underneath it. As I mentioned in my other post, it "swam" all over the place and where I slipped off, I got cold. My feet got a little cold too even with a reflectix cook cozy in the sleeping bag foot box.
    I really want an UG now! I may try to rig up something with the extra reflectix I have. I may make a pad like JasonACraft and use another homemade hammock underneath to hold it in place. Maybe I'll get an UQ for Christmas!

Sorry I forgot to update!

I've gone on two trips since postings, the first one was an "indian summer" and the low 50s that night actually turned into high 60s. I baked in the reflectix. Left the sleeping bag open all night for venting out the top and finally passed out. Second trip was in the low 40s (although I think it got colder than that...) and breezy. Perfect October weather. I stayed toasty with my crazy oversized coleman bag (i really hate that thing, but it's what I've got) and had no problems with my feet of back side at all. The under hammock stays right up against my backside and I had no cold spots nor felt any wind through it.

I asked my wife to consider letting me get a quilt setup come spring time, just planting seeds, ya know? It was a long discussion and I'm very glad I've worked something out with the reflectix for now. I'm using heavy shock cord I got from West Marine at the start of summer, going to swap it out with that thin black shock cord Dutch sells and loose a lot of weight and bulk on the under hammock. The UH is about the size of a baseball all squished together and weights (without the cord) almost nothing. I stuff it inside the center opening of the reflectix for packing. Otherwise the reflectix rolls up nice and tight, just like a pad, strapped to the outside of my pack.

Thanks for asking!

• + New Posts