Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The hitchhiking sign is my favorite use.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The hitchhiking sign is my favorite use.
    Mine would say something like:

"NEED A RIDE PLEASE. I WON'T KILL YOU. PROMISE"
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post

Mine:

"NOT A SCUMBAG, I JUST SMELL LIKE ONE"
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post

With how creepy the two of us look, we need more than that. Maybe put some smiley faces and Spongebob stickers on it.

What I am making is a ground pad for my dog. After careful consideration and some issues at home, I have decided to take him on my thru hike. I will take the tyvek and a piece of vellux blanket and make a sleeve to hold half a z-rest. The tyvek will be on the ground and vellux will be on top. Vellux is all nylon and easy to clean but very warm. This way if I put him in the hammock I can take the sleeve off and use it as a sheet to protect the hammock.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    With how creepy the two of us look, we need more than that. Maybe put some smiley faces and Spongebob stickers on it.

What I am making is a ground pad for my dog. After careful consideration and some issues at home, I have decided to take him on my thru hike. I will take the tyvek and a piece of vellux blanket and make a sleeve to hold half a z-rest. The tyvek will be on the ground and vellux will be on top. Vellux is all nylon and easy to clean but very warm. This way if I put him in the hammock I can take the sleeve off and use it as a sheet to protect the hammock.
    That's interesting about taking your dog... will you have to haul the dog food with you as well? Or will he carry a pack with food in it? Will you leave no trace of the dog? Or will you let him leave "traces" or whatever wherever? I guess I need for WB to come back so I can ask these types of questions there. I guess you could make him a small hammock. (to say On topic here ).

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    That's interesting about taking your dog... will you have to haul the dog food with you as well? Or will he carry a pack with food in it? Will you leave no trace of the dog? Or will you let him leave "traces" or whatever wherever? I guess I need for WB to come back so I can ask these types of questions there. I guess you could make him a small hammock. (to say On topic here ).
    Since it involves hammock camping, it's all related. I have a pack for him, and plan on keeping it around 10 lbs or less. He weighs 40 lbs. I will keep my water filter, maps and compass, his colapsable water bowl, his jacket (for the really cold rains and snow), and some of his food in it. I will carry the rest of his food.

I am all for leave no trace. The poo bags I use at home are biodegraeable. So I will carry them, and when he goes I will dig a hole, put up the poo with the bag, and put it al in the hole. You can't train a dog to poop in a hole, and I'm not gonna pick it up by hand obviously. So the bags may take a little while longer to decompose, but they are safe.

Before anyone asks, yes he will stay on a leash. I have had some bad runins with dogs on the trial being off leash. I will be the hiker with a dog that everyone loves. I don't sleep in shelters, I keep him on a leash, I bury his "traces", he drinks out of a bowl not the water source, he doesn't like to play in water so he won't dirty up water sources, and I don't say "my dog doesn't bite" (they always bite when someone says that). I know he is a dog, and he may bite. Luckily I can read him very well and know his body languange and can tell when he is about to snap. All I have to do is call his name and give a certain command and he won't bite. I hike with the mindset that we are sharing the trail. Thoe on the trail didn't come out there to doeal with me or my dog and our mess and more than we are out there to deal with theirs. I expect others to be curteous, then we will be too.

About me looking creepy and needing a sign like Headchange, I am gonna train my dog to beg on command. So when a car drives by he will be on his hind legs begging for a ride.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds like you have a good plan, and have thought about many more issues than most people would. I still think you need a small hammock for him, even if you just hang a small one underneath yours. .

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Sounds like you have a good plan, and have thought about many more issues than most people would. I still think you need a small hammock for him, even if you just hang a small one underneath yours. .
    Do you think the tyvek would be strong enough? I could design it with a channel on both ends so I can run a line through it and it hang like an ENO. I think he would hate it though. I'm gonna put him in my hammock this weekend and see how he likes it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think I'd put some other light material over the tyvek, to make it comfy, warm, and to keep claws from tearing up the tyvek. Does your dog have a favorite blanket? (You could make a cover out of that, and not take the whole thing).

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My mom built a doggie hammock for her ailing dog; he loved it! He's hangin in the clouds now, but he loved his hammock. If you can get your dog to try it a couple of times, I bet he'll fight anybody that tries to mess with it.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast