WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Returning your Clark idea to follow.

So I am looking into the Clark NX 250 and an idea hit. If you are within the 20 day limit and decide you don't like your Clark you can return it for a 12% hit plus shipping, right? Well why not just offer it at a discount in the for sale section here? The member will pay the freight and get a 12% discount (or better depending on how dum...errr, nice you are). Maybe you are well past the 20 day limit and really want to unload this hammock...sell it here. Give a member a break and earn a gold star...

And yes, I am of Scottish stock (Clan Scott infact).

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Incubator
    I may be doing just that. Being new and having no idea what I wanted, I ordered a NX-250 and a WBBB. I got the NX-250 about a week or so ago and am hoping that the WBBB will arrive next week. fingers crossed
    I will only be keeping one of them...whichever one I find most comfortable.

I wasn't too worried about returns on either one because I figured I could sell them on here fairly quickly.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Having been a former NX 250 owner and switched to the WBBB the reason that I can say is that the Clark's are outrageously overpriced compared to pretty much all other hammocks on the market. As such, the resale value on an NX 250 will likely be far less than the 12% you are hoping for. They are nice hammocks, but they are just hard to justify with so many other options out there and the price.

They depreciate pretty quickly once resold. YMMV and good luck getting what you're asking, but my experience (and other Clarks that I have seen sold on here) is that you won't be getting back nearly what you put into it. If it were my call and I had to do it over again, I'd just take the 12% hit. Good luck!

Oh yeah - and I can say that I definitely prefer the WBBB over the 250 any day of the week. The WeatherShield is nice, but with a Bear Burrito Oven from AHE, you essentially get the same concept on a WBBB for less money and more comfort.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    Oh yeah - and I can say that I definitely prefer the WBBB over the 250 any day of the week. The WeatherShield is nice, but with a Bear Burrito Oven from AHE, you essentially get the same concept on a WBBB for less money and more comfort.
    Wondered how long that would take.

Good points Mak as to price and resale (learning something is good). My best hope would be for someone with a beyond 20 days hammock I suppose. I come from a motorcycle perspective and have seen the my bike is better than your's type posts for years (My Beemer beats your Harley blablabla). The same seems to go here eh? What works for one does not always work for all.

The reasons I am looking at the Clark NX 250 is ease of setting up and adaptable to various weather situations...very important when traveling on a motorcycle (as opposed to walking) where climates can change numerous times a day. We moto types could start in Death Valley and be camping at 10,000 feet in hours. I'd wager that by the time I bought a WBBB and then added an UQ and tarp and TQ and etc the price may not be all that far apart. Maybe even more expensive depending on my choices. You will get no dispute from me as to quality, the WBBB is about the most taked about hammock here but I prefer my Beemer (still doing hammock research actually).

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I agree with you about the differences in use Law Dawg (btw, are you one of those 'attorneys that ride' dudes?). However, the Clarks aren't the end all be all that they tend to imply with their marketing. You will still need a UQ and a TQ most everywhere except maybe Death Valley, so you're still going to be factoring in that stuff. Pads work well in both set-ups discussed here.

Ease of use could be argued with the Clark's tarps; I find them annoying. But, like everything else, it's probably just a matter of what you get used to using. Still, the Clarks do come with a tarp included in the price and the weathershield is a nice thing to be sure. I'd be willing to bet that any hammock system you choose is going to be near the same price all said and done as that of a comparable system. It's all massaging the numbers, just like buying a car.

If you have the patience, Clark rigs show-up in the For Sale section with some regularity. Seems like every few months, there is one posted in there and usually at a greater discount than 12%, like mak said.

Regardless, good luck and happy hangin!

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm a card carrying member of the Clan MacFarlane. Still think bourbon is way better than Scotch.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Law Dawg (btw, are you one of those 'attorneys that ride' dudes?)
    Spit when you say that ...I'm a Deputy Sheriff in the twilight of his career. 28 years full time 33 years when part time is factored in. Been riding street and moto camping since 1973 and so a hammock is the next evolution to adapt for a very beat up lawman (they did not hire me for my ability to think, if you catch my drift).

Hammocks; The HH Explorer Deluxe A-sym Zip was/is the first interrest. Looked at the WBBB but frankly the HH beat it for initial price...tarp comes with and upgrade to Hex is free with Snake Skins thrown in. Both would require UQ and TQ (with a tarp for the WB). A good UQ is all the Clark would need for 3 season and 4 season means to ground for me (frankly it means to motel). All in all the jury is still out (a little LEO anology) on the final decision. A real inexpensive lightly used NX 250 would be hard to pass up at this point though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Spit when you say that ...I'm a Deputy Sheriff in the twilight of his career. 28 years full time 33 years when part time is factored in. Been riding street and moto camping since 1973 and so a hammock is the next evolution to adapt for a very beat up lawman (they did not hire me for my ability to think, if you catch my drift).
    You most certainly have my apologies.
    We have a group in Colorado called the Law Tigers, attorneys who ride. You can see my confusion. Funny commercials though.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm by no means getting into "mines-better-than-yours" speak. I've owned both, like both. But there are definitely bonuses on a WBBB that outweigh those of the Clark, which is why I went with the former. As mentioned, it depends on what you like and what you're looking for.

My only suggestion would be that you consider the Clark very carefully before the end of the 20 days because it could potentially end up being a costly mistake if it ends up not being the right one for you. Others, HH, WBBB, etc. tend to have much better resale value from what I've seen and thus less regret later if they don't work out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    But there are definitely bonuses on a WBBB that outweigh those of the Clark, which is why I went with the former.
    Well while I have you...do tell (need info). It's OK to hijack your own thread ain't it?

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm a card carrying member of the Clan MacFarlane. Still think bourbon is way better than Scotch.
    Agreed! Maker's Mark for me. Golf sucks too.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 09-21-2010 at 14:41.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lots of people have traded their HHs in for Blackbirds...very few have gone the other way. That's partly b/c HH has been around for much longer so more people started with it, but a big part of it is in the comfort and features of the BB.

But some people like the HH better...like my wife and son. Both of them prefer the HH over my Blackbird and El Dorado. So it isn't that one is "better" but there are definitely different comfort issues that each individual will have to figure out on their own. Personally, I like the Blackbird MUCH better than the HH, but the HH is still a solid offering...especially considering the price drops that mass manufacture allows.

I'd echo what Cannibal says, though...regardless of Clark's optimistic marketing, I've only see one user claim that they got anywhere near the advertised temps without using additional insulation...and this one used a 0F bag in ~30F weather, IIRC. So you'll probably want to factor in some insulation even if you buy a Clark.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast