Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

NY-CT > Hiking the AT in NY, May 31-June 5, 2015

Am headed up to Bear Mountain State Park, NY next weekend to pick up where I left off on the AT last year. Going to hike the 62 miles or so to Kent, CT with a few Nashville and forums friends, doing about 12-mile days.

Give a shout if anyone would like to join us or come out for a meal some time, some where.

Also, any hints, suggestions, warnings, advice, or questions about the AT along in there are welcome!

After this trip, I will have walked every step from Georgia to New England on the AT, plus all of NH. In September, I head to Maine to hike a couple of weeks there.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Am headed up to Bear Mountain State Park, NY next weekend to pick up where I left off on the AT last year. Going to hike the 62 miles or so to Kent, CT with a few Nashville and forums friends, doing about 12-mile days.

Give a shout if anyone would like to join us or come out for a meal some time, some where.

Also, any hints, suggestions, warnings, advice, or questions about the AT along in there are welcome!

After this trip, I will have walked every step from Georgia to New England on the AT, plus all of NH. In September, I head to Maine to hike a couple of weeks there.

Rain Man

I'm very tempted to join you but have no way of shuttling at such short notice. I am in Harriman a lot. I am sure you know the trails there are pretty rocky/rugged, as they are throughout most of the Northeast. My one suggestion would be to make sure you have a head net (unless you enjoy bugs flying in your eyes, nose and ears). I was out weekend before last and the gnats and mosquitos were getting pretty intense. I wore my headnet most of the time, but, last weekend was a different story with cooler and more breezy conditions.. Just a suggestion to be prepared in that regard.

I do a weekly hike which is between 5 and 11 miles depending on the route starting at Bear Mtn Inn, up the Major Welch trail to the AT at the top of Bear Mtn, and continue south, sometimes to West Mtn and then back the SBM trail, so who knows, we may run into each other.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    Strawberry and Black fly's are pounding us here in the north east .(and it's just starting) The net is a must for sanity reasons ...lol

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suede View Post
    I'm very tempted to join you but have no way of shuttling at such short notice.... My one suggestion would be to make sure you have a head net (unless you enjoy bugs flying in your eyes, nose and ears). I was out weekend before last and the gnats and mosquitos were getting pretty intense. I wore my headnet most of the time, but, last weekend was a different story with cooler and more breezy conditions.. Just a suggestion to be prepared in that regard.
    Yep, the ranger at Fahnestock told me yesterday to be prepared for vicious mosquitoes and black flies. I almost always carry a head net anyway, and most certainly will. Plus, bringing two kinds of bug repellant.

If you'll shoot me your cell number, we can text or talk about you joining us. There are two others (PA and MD) joining us with cars, so we have the shuttle issue worked out, I think.

Should be a great hike!
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    You are starting on Sunday? When and where are you starting from? Best I could do would be a day hike on Sunday but I would need to either work out a shuttle back or hike back, or just meet you guys and then do my usual park loop.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suede View Post
    You are starting on Sunday? When and where are you starting from? Best I could do would be a day hike on Sunday but I would need to either work out a shuttle back or hike back, or just meet you guys and then do my usual park loop.
    My plan is to eat a late, leisurely breakfast at the Bear Mountain Inn, in the park, and get to the Zoo at 10:00 for its opening.

So, say 8:30 or so at the Inn or 10:00 at the Zoo? Not sure we'll actually spend any time in the Zoo, but it's famous on the AT and also the lowest point on the entire trail, so I want to see it while there.

Got your PM and will reply there too. Hope to see you, somehow! Always nice to put faces to online names.

We hope to have a hiker with vehicle join us at Fahnestock on Monday evening, to shuttle back to our vehicle at Bear Mtn and shuttle it to Kent that evening. Don't know if that might fit into any of your schedule.

Rain Man

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Am headed out early in the morning. Y'all play nice while I'm gone and PLEASE don't have 10,000 posts for me to read when I return! LOL

I look forward to seeing some HF and WB members on the trail!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Here is a link to my photo album of our 64-mile, 6-day hike from Bear Mtn SP, NY to Kent, CT--

Link to Photo Album.

I'm happy to answer any easy questions! We had a great hike, with all water sources flowing freely, and no problem with bugs.

We did have three days of rain and drizzle and then three days of sunshine and blue skies.

Rain Man

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dtp2c111 View Post
    Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
    Happy to do so. I like to go back later on and look at 'em again myself! Plus, it's an easy way to tell family and friends about my hikes.

Rain Man

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast