Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images

Which mod?

I plan on sending my Hennessy to 2QZQ for a zipper mod. I really just want to be able to get the inside to arrange things or access stuff outside the hammock when I am laying in it. Mod 1 or 3 would do that. My question is how hard is it to unzip a mod 1 when laying in the hammock? Is it reasonable to do things like reach up and unzip and flip the bug net toward my feet then put everything back together while still laying there?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

The zipper Mods

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I plan on sending my Hennessy to 2QZQ for a zipper mod. I really just want to be able to get the inside to arrange things or access stuff outside the hammock when I am laying in it. Mod 1 or 3 would do that. My question is how hard is it to unzip a mod 1 when laying in the hammock? Is it reasonable to do things like reach up and unzip and flip the bug net toward my feet then put everything back together while still laying there?
    The Mod 1 was our first mod to a Hennessy hammock. My idea was to do exactly what you are thinking. I simply unzipped the top halves and flipped the netting over itself. The advantage of this mod was that I could reach both sides of my underquilt for adjustment. When in the hammock, I could easily reach up to zip it up. I had a ULBA. I did tie strings to the zipper pulls, about 8-9" long, to make it easier to grab to unzip. I will say this about the Mod 1, it is possible to side enter the hammock but I wouldn't recommend it. I was very careful and never felt comfortable that I wasn't stressing the zipper....thus the Mod 2 was created. The advantage of the Mod 1, 2, and 4 is that you can access both sides of the hammock, the Mod 3 is only one side. Hope that helps some.
    2Q
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It does and is a better answer than I got when I emailed you. Thank You. I have no interest in side entry as I really like the bottom entry. It sounds like zipping a mod 1 back up would be a problem if you had to add long pulls. Is this correct?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

My question is how hard is it to unzip a mod 1 when laying in the hammock? Is it reasonable to do things like reach up and unzip and flip the bug net toward my feet then put everything back together while still laying there?
    I recommend the more the better on zippers on hammocks and highly recommend 2Q's work (actually, his wife's work).

As far as how hard it is to unzip when laying in the hammock, I did put short cords (old shoelaces) on my zipper pulls. Otherwise, I couldn't reach up high enough to grab them above my head. Also, I knotted the cords, so I could tell one from the other with my fingers. After that, it wasn't hard to unzip when laying in the hammock, no. And yes, I have done what you describe, flipping the bug net off and then back again.

A BIG improvement over the old standard Hennessey.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't have the mods on my HH.. as I purchased the zip model so my input is just this.
    I highly recommend side entry as opposed to bottom entry. If I were to modify the HH I would go for the full unzip mod that way you have access for both gear and body.
    I have recently switched to the WBBB, and I love the side entry on both my HH and WBBB.
    My son has the bottom entry HH and is thinking about going with the Mod 3 or 4 and closing up the bottom.

Just my thoughts.

Jerry

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    It does and is a better answer than I got when I emailed you. Thank You. I have no interest in side entry as I really like the bottom entry. It sounds like zipping a mod 1 back up would be a problem if you had to add long pulls. Is this correct?
    Actually not. I hold the zipper pull and keep pushing up until it doesn't go any farther...closed....assuming your arm is long enough. The long pulls just make it easier to unzip it.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts