BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I have never had a problem with USPS. I always request USPS if I can get it. Usually if the shipper uses UPS, I have to wait MUCH longer because my wife and I both work when UPS delivers. Thus we come home to stickies on the door saying they came, but no package for us. With USPS, it usually fits in our box. If it doesn't, the office is just down the road, not through the mot congested part of Chattanooga as we arrive home at rush hour.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Moded Guide Gear
    Insulation
    HG Incu 0 degree
    Suspension
    Straps, rings
    Images
    Ordered an incubator from hammock gear, USPS, no problem tracking, quick shipping (I live in Ohio also). I'm just glad my neighbor picked it OUT OF THE STREET where her package was also. I know it was a small package but it was couple hundred dollars, did I mention IN THE STREET? My neighbor called to complain because it was her SECOND time, the post office told her "our carrier wouldn't do that." and hung up! Customer service, yup. Meanwhile, the FedEx guy goes back in his truck to get a big dog treat for my big, scary dog that was too afraid to take it from him.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered & Whipped/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings Duh
    All I'm saying is that it's 2013 and they don't have a tracking system. Time To Update. I understand that it's cheaper but they don't have a clue ( at least in SPFD mo) where your package is, even if its in their building.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    All I'm saying is that it's 2013 and they don't have a tracking system. Time To Update. I understand that it's cheaper but they don't have a clue ( at least in SPFD mo) where your package is, even if its in their building.
    I will say that, with priority, they do usually track. That's why this time is different. The tracking froze in Ohio, which is something it's never done before.

Now, I'm not sure why sometimes they track, sometimes they don't, etc.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    My mom just called me yesterday to tell me that she sent her Mac Book Pro to get fixed via UPS (I think) and after a half day of tracking updates it just stopped updating (like what happened to the OP) and that was two weeks ago.

So far no laptop.
    Last edited by R00K; 01-13-2013 at 13:59.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Personally I think USPS is getting a bum wrap in this thread....

Having shipped 12,000 + JRB orders with only two losses (and one was eventually returned to us) and three stolen deliveries off porches or apartment stoops (most of you really would not want signature receipt as you are not home and would have to go to the PO after recieving notice they had a package requiring signature). FTR... JRB made good on these orders on an expedited basis.

USPS does pretty good IMHO....The vast majority are well within the 2-3 day delivery guideline. Darn fast compared to the old parcel post and up to 2Xs faster than UPS or FEDEX when going 2000 miles or more.

FWIW, we used UPS for a while, costlier, two times slower on coast to coast, unless paying a much higher shipping for air...They also lost a package, interestly it was during our first busy holiday season. The claim process was as slow or slower.

My $0.02....and thousands of facts.

Pan
    ...ZQ here...I agree 100% with Pan. We receive and ship via USPS 99.9% of the time. We have had basically no issues...what issues we did have were very minor. Our local postal workers are great. UPS and FedEx are great also...but their cost and travel time isn't.
    EDIT: I want to add....I completely understand everyone's frustration. I'm sure that Hammock Gear isn't thrilled that one of their packages is somewhere out there in lala land! None of us wants their stuff delayed or lost...senders or receivers. People and computers aren't perfect! I have to remind myself of that often!
    Last edited by 2Questions; 01-13-2013 at 10:28.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtupnsmoke View Post
    Kinda defeats the purpose of priority shipping.
    And you think private skim-the-cream-off-the-top shippers are different. I'm reminded of the time FedEx made a late delivery for me when they had constant ads on TV about "when it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight." The fine print somewhere else contained all their exceptions, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    It's no wonder that USPS is on the verge of going out of business.
    The only reason that is true (IF it is) is because an agenda-driven Congress politicizing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    The USPS does not have tracking. Their service is called delivery confirmation and is for that in a nut shell.
    Correct. People are bad-mouthing the USPS for not doing something the USPS doesn't even claim to do. What is that called? Setting up a straw man to knock it down?

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    She uses USPS Priority and problems are extremely rare. Interesting factoid, when it comes to UPS, (not sure about FedEx) they use USPS for some of their delivery chain.
    This is closer to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Personally I think USPS is getting a bum wrap in this thread....

Having shipped 12,000 + JRB orders with only two losses (and one was eventually returned to us) ... and up to 2Xs faster than UPS or FEDEX when going 2000 miles or more.
    Also close to the truth, or, indeed, the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I have never had a problem with USPS. I always request USPS if I can get it.
    Same here, though once I received a package very late, but was no big deal, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    ...ZQ here...I agree 100% with Pan. We receive and ship via USPS 99.9% of the time. We have had basically no issues...what issues we did have were very minor. Our local postal workers are great.
    Amen. I've had two sisters and at least two uncles work for the USPS. And my letter carrier is the sweetest lady in the world.

If you want postal nightmares and something real to sit around and whine about, send something overseas via FedEx or UPS, but get ready to mortgage your home, or just deal with foreign postal systems. You'll come to your senses about the USA's USPS in a hurry.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings Duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    And you think private skim-the-cream-off-the-top shippers are different. I'm reminded of the time FedEx made a late delivery for me when they had constant ads on TV about "when it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight." The fine print somewhere else contained all their exceptions, of course.

The only reason that is true (IF it is) is because an agenda-driven Congress politicizing things.

Correct. People are bad-mouthing the USPS for not doing something the USPS doesn't even claim to do. What is that called? Setting up a straw man to knock it down?

This is closer to the truth.

Also close to the truth, or, indeed, the truth.

Same here, though once I received a package very late, but was no big deal, thankfully.

Amen. I've had two sisters and at least two uncles work for the USPS. And my letter carrier is the sweetest lady in the world.

If you want postal nightmares and something real to sit around and whine about, send something overseas via FedEx or UPS, but get ready to mortgage your home, or just deal with foreign postal systems. You'll come to your senses about the USA's USPS in a hurry.

Rain Man

If its true. There is a reason they are possibly getting rid of Saturday services and have been all over the news treading a very fine wire. They have not been profitable for awhile. They lose 1 billion dollars a MONTH. One huge reason is because more and more people pay bills on line and everything is completed over email. That was a huge part of their business. I never said that they have tracking. What I said was its 2013 and its crazy they don't have it. But I guess when you are in the red month after month it's hard to implement new technology. Maybe it is just a few weak areas but SPFD mo happens to be one. They are not easy to work with generally and more often than not have no earthly idea of where your package is. Our family owned business uses all three of the above mentioned business and has pretty good luck across the board, but personal home delivery from USPS is another story.
    Last edited by Chewy; 01-13-2013 at 12:44.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings Duh
    I didn't mean to unload on USPS. We have some issues in our area. I see now why some of you are offended by some of the posts about USPS. If I had friends and family that worked there I would possibly have a different outlook. I'm sure for every bad encounter with USPS there is one for UPS and FED EX to go with it. Unfortunately the thread was about USPS. I'm sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intention. I think we have had some issues over the holidays and this thread got me fired up a bit. So that being said good luck with all your shipping. On a positive note you have a great family owned business on the other end of this and hopefully all is well shortly.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    ...ZQ here...I wasn't offended...no worries!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast