Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    nice video shug!!

I might even know some of the HG elves who helped build that tarp your hangin under!!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    it is a serious piece of gear. But silnylon and stuff is very nice too.
    Yeah I have a Big Mambajamba and MacCat standard, both in silnylon right now. Would love to get this tarp though because if the doors and it being my first cuben tarp purchase. Plus HammockGear has me as a customer for life because they are honestly one of the best companies I have ever dealt with so I have no problem purchasing ANYTHING from them!!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bchboy1206 View Post
    LMAO!!! Too funny and I want one!

jimT
    Thankee....

Quote Originally Posted by kc7fys View Post
    I proposed (and then flaked out on) a cuben fiber group buy last year. I wonder if it's time to give it a try this year? I'd love to work with the stuff--and I ain't gots the Ska-dizzle to spend quite this much. Although it IS a high quality product made by a worthy maker.

Perhaps it's time? Any ideas? I'm in--if we can get maybe a dozen of us... who knows? PM if interested.
    Hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    How hard compressed is it, in that stuff sack? Me want
    It is in the snake skins and packed it. Cuben packs tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Really great video Shug. Finally got a chance to sit down and watch it.

I contacted Stormcrow and Thorwren a few weeks ago asking if they can make it wider but at the moment they can not due to the width of the cuben they actually receive.

A Winter tarp for me would need to be 10 feet wide so I can pitch it really low to the ground to battle that nasty winter wind from sneaking in underneath. Obviously that's my preference others may disagree.
    It seems huge to me after my DIY black sil tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    My thoughts, exactly, Raul. A wider version would also allow me the flexibility to pitch it over two people.

In my vision, the perfect version would be pretty near to a Superfly in cuben.
    Hope you find one.

Quote Originally Posted by sswens View Post
    Thanks for Another fine Production and the tarp is Great Too!!
    'Preciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    as of a few months ago (this may have changed) Cubic Tech doesn't provide a discount for bulk orders.
    Their minimum order is 10m...which is the perfect size for a tarp + a stuff sack or two (or in my case, a pack cover!)

A group buy wouldn't save anything (unless there is another supplier I'm not aware of)
    Hope rules!

nice video shug!!

I might even know some of the HG elves who helped build that tarp your hangin under!!
    Thanks you Elf.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Yeah I have a Big Mambajamba and MacCat standard, both in silnylon right now. Would love to get this tarp though because if the doors and it being my first cuben tarp purchase. Plus HammockGear has me as a customer for life because they are honestly one of the best companies I have ever dealt with so I have no problem purchasing ANYTHING from them!!
    Hard to beat that quote.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

I contacted Stormcrow and Thorwren a few weeks ago asking if they can make it wider but at the moment they can not due to the width of the cuben they actually receive.

A Winter tarp for me would need to be 10 feet wide so I can pitch it really low to the ground to battle that nasty winter wind from sneaking in underneath. Obviously that's my preference others may disagree.
    i wouldn't hold your breath on getting it wider than 8.5 feet anytime soon. Joe at zpacks' widest tarp is 8.5 feet as well. something about the width of the rolls of cuben and having any wider puts too much stress on the seam...

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i wouldn't hold your breath on getting it wider than 8.5 feet anytime soon. Joe at zpacks' widest tarp is 8.5 feet as well. something about the width of the rolls of cuben and having any wider puts too much stress on the seam...
    I suppose there could be two seams instead of one...?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good thought all.......
    To me it seems HUGE inside.....I look forward to snow and cold and putting it through the paces here in Minnesota.
    Shug

IMG_0012 by Sean Shug Emery, on Flickr
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    I suppose there could be two seams instead of one...?
    Having 2 seams would equate to more material which equals more cost and a cuben tarp is already expensive enough as it is.

For winter hiking use, most people are pulling a sled of some sort so weight becomes less of an issue. Using a larger silnylon tarp like a SuperFly or a WinterDream or any of the cheaper options (Kelty Noah 12, GG 12x12, etc) are all very viable alternatives for more coverage.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hello everyone,

First and foremost I want to thank Shug for that great video. I really appreciate that my friend. Very informative and hilarious, as always. I am glad you warmed up to the cuben fiber material (now known as CTF3). I was a little reserved myself until I tried one...then I was hooked. I will probably start making tarps with silnylon as well but I wanted to launch into tarps with the CF3 because I believe in it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBait View Post
    Sweet! That is a LOT of tarp for 6 1/2 ounces. Love that Stealth Bomber look. Stormcrow is gonna be mighty busy! Thanks ol' lighter & faster one.
    The tarp division (also me) IS getting pretty busy around here. This stuff is fun to work with. The bonding techniques are a little different than just running fabric though my faithful Juki, but it is getting more streamlined with every phase I complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Thanks for the entertainment and review . Been kicking around the different cuben tarps and had some unanswered questions. It looks like a continuous cat cut. Is that correct? I was trying to figure out the shape of the tarp. It looks like the doors can be closed down without pulling inward like on a typical rectangular tarp. Does that mean it is longer on the bottom sides then the ridge line? I was also wondering why the OES tarp weighs more. It doesn't seem like it is that much bigger. Nice tarp, definitely want one.
    I am working on getting a drawing to post on my site that shows the footprint of the tarp. I know you guys like/deserve that kind of stuff. In the mean time I will try to explain the shape...

The ridgeline is just shy of 11 feet (10'10"). The width of the tarp is 8'6" at its widest. The two middle tie outs on each side (think of the tarp without doors) are 6'6" apart. There is a catenary cut on all sides except the edges going from the corner tieouts to the ridgeline. From corner tie out to corner tie out is approximately 13'. This enables the user to shut the doors before the sides of the tarp are too confining...if that makes sense. I am sure I missed a few dimensions but they will be in the drawing...

Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Great Review Shug.

I really enjoy my new CF HG tarp.

The weight savings are great, and I love the coverage with doors.

Hope to use it a bunch on the AT soon
    Glad you like it TZ. Thanks again!

Until more companies start producing CF3 material, I do not see the prices coming down enough to make that extra seam of material cost effective. CF3 comes on rolls of 54" ...and since the manufacturing process is so different, sometimes even THAT width varies.

Having said that, I can make a tarp that is 11 x 10.5 for an extra $50. That cost is mostly for material. I would have to draw it up as a custom job because I certainly do not have a pattern for THAT one....lol. Who am I to say if it is worth the money or not? Would I be jealous of that person's tarp?....yes.

as of a few months ago (this may have changed) Cubic Tech doesn't provide a discount for bulk orders.
    Their minimum order is 10m...which is the perfect size for a tarp + a stuff sack or two (or in my case, a pack cover!)

A group buy wouldn't save anything (unless there is another supplier I'm not aware of)
    I found out that they DO in fact give a discount on bulk orders...If you order more than 500 meters, they will give you a 5% discount. Needless to say, I have not seen the discount. lol. And I think there minimum is still 9 meters (almost 10 yards)

Lastly, Thank you everyone for your kind words. Thorwren likes to limit my exposure to threads like this because she says they give me a " big head"...She is certainly right.
    Last edited by stormcrow; 06-16-2011 at 12:55.
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Lastly, Thank you everyone for your kind words. Thorwren likes to limit my exposure to threads like this because she says they give me a " big head"...She is certainly right.
    There ya go! Bang! -New Trailname! (and well earned)

I am happily awaiting my Cuben Tarp; can't wait to show Tinny!
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I found out that they DO in fact give a discount on bulk orders...If you order more than 500 meters, they will give you a 5% discount. Needless to say, I have not seen the discount. lol. And I think there minimum is still 9 meters (almost 10 yards)

Good to know about the minimum...maybe if 50+ people were interested in the group buy...

and finally, I think "Big Head" would be an awesome trail/screen name!!

enjoy the new business division!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast