Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies

Need advice on setting up a pair of 7' turtle stands

Hey everyone,

I am heading to Lowes in a few minutes to get the materials to put the turtle stands together but have a few questions.

I weigh 240lbs and use a WBBB and a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock and am concerned about what length pipe I should try? I know everyone is mostly using a fence pole but I'm wanting to use a two piece pole so it would be more compact when broke down. I'm guessing I need a 13-15' pole so I was thinking about using 3/4" black cast iron pipe with a coupling in the middle. Any reason this would not work?

The other main thing I need help with is I've read to go 20" up and drill a hole to take a rope to connect the three legs to keep them from spreading too far. Can anyone tell me what length I need to have the rope?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

****Update*******
    pics and results posted down in thread
    Last edited by leeinmemphis; 05-16-2012 at 16:53.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I use the same WBBB, and weigh 215. I used 2 sections of chain link top rail, cutting them at 7 ft 6 inches so they would store better in the garage, and they also match up with the 7 ft 2 x 2s. Top rails are 1 3/8ths and have a nice end cap that has a place to clip in the carabiner, if you use them. No need for a coupler, as they slide together. Cost for the top rail is about $11 each. I am just now posting pics of mine in the other thread.

ETA: I used 10 ft of amsteel for my tension restrictor. That is, it was 10 ft from end of loop to end of loop. I had them already, and they worked out fine. I suppose there is really about 11 ft of amsteel there.
    Last edited by olzeke; 05-15-2012 at 17:28. Reason: added rope details, and spelling.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    leeinmemphis, I used 1 section, 10', of chainlink fence rail and cut it into 2 pieces, olzeke used 2 rails for to get his extra length. Since mine is for travel I wanted to keep the folded length down. The blackiron pipe would work but will be heavy. As for the spread limiter I just used some poly cord after setting the tripods up, really not sure what the length is. One leg has 2 holes drilled for the limiter the other 2 1 hole. After feeding the cord thru I knotted one end tensioned the cord and knotted the other end.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    yeah, there isn't much stress on the limiting line, so anything will work. I just used what I had on hand. I might drill a smaller hole in the next set and use Zing It!

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    yeah, there isn't much stress on the limiting line, so anything will work. I just used what I had on hand. I might drill a smaller hole in the next set and use Zing It!
    thanks guys. I have everything at home and plan to get it together tomorrow. I'm thinking about going with a 6' stand instead. You don't by chance remember how much line you used for yours do you? I went ahead and got to the fence pipe since it was flanged and figured it would be the best way to break them down. Did you guys put a bolt through the pipe joint to ensure it won't come out?

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    No bolt needed on the joint, as the hammock is putting compression on the ends of the pipe, pushing it together any time it is occupied.

As I stated above, I used about 11 ft of line, splicing loops in the ends so it ended up 10 ft end to end. I then clipped it together with a biner.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    No bolt needed on the joint, as the hammock is putting compression on the ends of the pipe, pushing it together any time it is occupied.

As I stated above, I used about 11 ft of line, splicing loops in the ends so it ended up 10 ft end to end. I then clipped it together with a biner.
    I apologize. I read your post several times and somehow I missed it.

Thanks I plan on getting it together tomorrow.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    OK the fence rails buckled and down I went. Heading to Lowes for cast iron pipe. I went and weighted in at 250 so the fence post probably needs to be different for someone who is my weight

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Remember, the weak link in your system will be the coupler. With black pipe, you might be better off with electrical galvanized rigid conduit. It screws together. 1.5" or 2" would work for you, I am certain.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    OK the fence rails buckled and down I went. Heading to Lowes for cast iron pipe. I went and weighted in at 250 so the fence post probably needs to be different for someone who is my weight
    How long was the ridgepole and where/how were your connections between the hammock and ridgepole?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast