Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
    Pictures please?!

Why did you go with silk? Did you have to beat up a geisha to get it?
    Pictures will be forthcoming - I haven't had a lot of chances to hang with it other than my backyard due to school/family, but for the time I have spent in it, I love the silk lining. Soft, and actually seems a little less "stretchy." I think for my next hammock, I am going to go with a 40D ripstop polyester, with the silk habitoi lining. That will be a very flat hammock.

I went with silk for my summer hammock, due to it's breathability and weight. Purchased it here. It is not going to be an everyday hammock, even though I have no concerns about the durability. I plan on using this one when the weather is hot, and the skeeters are out. And on the June NCT hang, just to show it off.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Pictures will be forthcoming - I haven't had a lot of chances to hang with it other than my backyard due to school/family, but for the time I have spent in it, I love the silk lining. Soft, and actually seems a little less "stretchy." I think for my next hammock, I am going to go with a 40D ripstop polyester, with the silk habitoi lining. That will be a very flat hammock.

I went with silk for my summer hammock, due to it's breathability and weight. Purchased it here. It is not going to be an everyday hammock, even though I have no concerns about the durability. I plan on using this one when the weather is hot, and the skeeters are out. And on the June NCT hang, just to show it off.
    Whoooo .... can't wait to see it! Looking forward to it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

FF--what weight of silk did you go with?

I'll be sporting a new hammock in June. Isn't built yet though.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    FF--what weight of silk did you go with?

I'll be sporting a new hammock in June. Isn't built yet though.

Grizz
    ANOTHER Hammock!?! Are you outfitting the dorms at school now?

10mm. It was the only weight wide enough for the BB. I seriously thought about the 108" width, and doubling it over for a double layer silk.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    ANOTHER Hammock!?! Are you outfitting the dorms at school now?
    Now now, you know perfectly well you can't have too many hammocks, particularly when as you make them you are trying out new ideas or trying to perfect new techniques.

I need to get a bugnet version up for my next outing, which is only about 3 weeks away. It's not hard making a bugnet, what's hard is putting together a design that is light, allows one to sit and swing in the hammock, and hopefully works for more than one hammock. Two out of three won't be bad.

10mm. It was the only weight wide enough for the BB. I seriously thought about the 108" width, and doubling it over for a double layer silk.
    I'm on a kick to try and make my hammocks lighter, and the fabric is an obvious place to try and shed some weight. I think I'll give this silk a try.

I did read a report over on backpackinglight of a guy whose 10mm silk hammock failed. Hard to know what to think. Just will have to try, with crash pads below.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Now now, you know perfectly well you can't have too many hammocks, particularly when as you make them you are trying out new ideas or trying to perfect new techniques.
    True Dat! Innovation is hard on material.

I did read a report over on backpackinglight of a guy whose 10mm silk hammock failed. Hard to know what to think. Just will have to try, with crash pads below.
    I used the silk as the inner lining of a double layer, so I'm not worried about the silk failing as a support - the 1.1 ripstop outer layer should save me from total failure. I could see how the silk would disintegrate over constant use/body oils/etc..

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Do you happen to know the weight pr sq yard of the 10 mm silk you used??
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Do you happen to know the weight pr sq yard of the 10 mm silk you used??
    No. Unfortunately, I do not have a scale and didn't think of measuring it (you can tell I'm not a gram weenie.) But at 26.6 oz with the treestrap rig, it is about 6 oz. lighter than a traditional 1.1 oz ripstop. Come on, math weenies - you can probably calculate based on the weight savings. I'm not that math inclined - my Pa was a math teacher, so it wasn't my favorite subject.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Had just a little sunlight tonight to take a few snaps of my new BB, so I hung it up and then proceeded to have dead batteries and other camera problems. This is all I got before it got too dark. Hope to get it in some real woods soon!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    With a camo hammock I'd make it about 15 minutes before I lost track of it and either froze to death 10 feet from my gear or tripped over it and busted my face.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast