hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner

30D Hex Tarp review

I bit the bullet and finally went for a non stock HH tarp. I know i know i always bang on about how the HH design is ideal for me and there is nothing that i would change about it. BUT, my friend was going to the states and agreed to pick one up for me and bring it back, so i saved myself the $60usd shipping fee to the uk.... sigh... always comes down to money eh...

anyways, thoughts so far....

the stock diamond shaped or asym tarp comes to 434gms/1lbs. This is one of the main reasons that i didnt want to buy a 70d hex tarp as its 800gms/1.8lbs. Yeah the idea of having a larger canopy was great but adding nearly double the weight wasnt in the spirit of my uber lightness.

The 30d version is 500gms/1.1lbs..... so yes it is a tad expensive but in terms of adding weight it is minimal!

I have only just got it and unfortunately we have near hurricane conditions hear at the moment, i tried my best to peg it out in the garden and that resulted in me getting blown over and the thing almost getting shredded. hehe a sensible man would have made himself a cup of tea and waited till tomorrow...

In every corner of the hex tarp, is a tiny sil nylon pocket where the guy lines can be rolled into, this is quite a nice feature as when i want to use it as a freestanding tarp i wont have to watch out for lines all over the floor. Unlike the normal HH tarp, it also has this feature across the apex as well, which means that you can set the tarp up independent of the hammock and the chord is already there to tie it to the trees, for those of you who love the tarp and hammock together or tarp lower argument (dont start!!! For the love of god!) this allows you to do it whichever way you fancy!

I am going to try my best to set all of this up tomorrow and film a new hennessy hammock video, a follow up of my hennessy hammock 101 on youtube. Theres some more tit bits about internal storage potential and ways of making life easier for yourself that i feel need to be shared with the world.

for now, heres a couple of photos to show size for those of you that are contemplating buying one.

btw, as everyone knows, everything outdoors is measured in SIGG, it is the international unit of measurement for ALL outdoors people. So a SIGG it is....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    I used my HH Hex to great advantage. Temps were 7F in the am, and the view was phenomenal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DEBATING eno and diy at the moment
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    20° incubator :)
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    You need a us coversion, everything seems to be measured in nalgenes over here...everything is different across the pond
    When life gets you down......make an underquilt!

Images
    Have they changed the tarp specs? It seems to me the weight on my Explorer UL diamond was ~ 11 oz( 312 gm ?) though I can't find specs at HH site. But I'm fairly sure that is right, as I remember my 13 oz MacCat DLX was a couple of oz heavier than my stock HH diamond. ( but I think the newer ones are 3" longer, so I they would be a bit heavier also, but I an surprised at ~ 5 oz increase) They list the 30D Hex as 19 oz/530 gm, which is about what mine actually is.

Anyway, I have found that do be a nice tarp, for about 8 oz more weight than the my stock tarp. WAY more coverage. Which can be nice for hanging around on a rainy day, even with friends coming to visit! Look forward to your evaluation.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    billy bob!!! the ul tarps are of course lighter! i have the explorer delux asym so its not ul silnylon, just normal 70d.

there is a comparison chart on the hh website that lists all the weights of all the tarps and all the weights of all the hammocks.

we are currently more or less in the middle of a hurricane so will try and wait till tomorrow and then give it a bash!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    ok, first thing ive found out which interests me a LOT is that it does fit in the snake skins with the hammock as well!!!!

one of the only reasons i didnt but the hex tarp ages ago was because everyone kept telling me that it wouldnt fit in the snake skins!!!!

guess that proves you should try things for yourself eh!!!

AND the whole lot also fits into the original explorer stuff sack as well!!!

tried filming but the wind today was ridiculous. will post soon enough....
    Last edited by trekkingnut; 02-06-2011 at 08:12. Reason: add

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    billy bob!!! the ul tarps are of course lighter! i have the explorer delux asym so its not ul silnylon, just normal 70d.

there is a comparison chart on the hh website that lists all the weights of all the tarps and all the weights of all the hammocks......
    Hello TN! OK, for some reason I was sure you had the diamond UL sil-nylon! I did not even realize they had a diamond shaped(in use) tarp that was 70D! Live and learn!

I see these pages at the web site:
    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html#cat
    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs_asym_30d__xl.html
    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs-explorerUL.html

But I still can not see a tarp weight listed for the UL diamond tarps. Anyway, I weighed mine: ~ 11 oz. But here was the surprise: I would have bet good money that it was 137" long on the "RL". But I measured it and got 148"!

ok, first thing ive found out which interests me a LOT is that it does fit in the snake skins with the hammock as well!!!!

one of the only reasons i didnt but the hex tarp ages ago was because everyone kept telling me that it wouldnt fit in the snake skins!!!!

guess that proves you should try things for yourself eh!!!

AND the whole lot also fits into the original explorer stuff sack as well!!!
    Good to hear, I don't think I ever tried the big tarps in the skins with the hammock, only with the stock tarp. I did used to put the SS UC ( bit not the pad) inside the skins with the Explorer UL hammock. It fit with no problem, and I had separate skins for the tarp.

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html

see if you can find what you need on that!

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    7.5oz for the backpacker and hyperlite according to that chart. The explorer UL they list as 11.5oz.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Images
    http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html

see if you can find what you need on that!
    Yes, that is the chart I remember from times past, but could not find the link recently for some reason. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast