old hammock dead, new hammock rising.

Hello, new guy to the forum but been a fairly dedicated hammock user for a while now. My last hammock gave up the ghost a few weeks ago, it was a home made unit copied from a HH picture. So now I am thinking about the next one and have a few questions.

First, I have a bunch of lightwieght tafeta, but its not waterproof. Thats not a problem, but I am wondring about Mosquitoes biting through the fabric. My last hammock was Nysil of a sort, and I used to mock them as they tried to get through it. any thoughts on that? I like the idea of it breathing better, but Mosquitoes lurrrve me. a lot.

Second, entry. The slit design might give way to a top entry. I don't like zippers, so am thinking about using hook and loop on the lower 1/2 to 3/4 of one side of the netting. or perhaps more toward the middle...
    That would depend on if I do a A sym design this time. If my legs will genneraly be to the left of center due to the A sym, then the entry should be on the left side, right? The less worming around done to get into posish the better, because it would disturb a sleeping pad and bag less. thought about a sleeve for a pad, but I am a wieght/bulk weenie, sort of.

My last hammock had a clip on the ridgeline so that I could unclip it and lower the netting, flip the hammock and use the net to hold an open sleeping bag against the hammock, with a light quilt over me. Good to about 15 degrees F. Has anyone else done anything like this?

How much rope do most hammocks have on the ends? My last one had 15 feet on each end, I am thinking about ten this time, but there were times that I used every bit of rope. But when I only used five feet on each end, unless I could do a double or triple wrap there was just a lot of rope to deal with in tying off.

Anyway, I have some time to work on this, and lots of material to mess up in patterns.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by delver View Post
    How much rope do most hammocks have on the ends? My last one had 15 feet on each end, I am thinking about ten this time, but there were times that I used every bit of rope. But when I only used five feet on each end, unless I could do a double or triple wrap there was just a lot of rope to deal with in tying off.
    I can't help much, but I will say that you should skip the rope and use poly straps with some sort of connection (rings, biners, or just a short looped rope from the hammock end). That way you can loop the webbing round the tree and to the hammock, with any excess just hanging by the hammock. I would still stick with about 12-15' on either side, but this is JMO.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

• + New Posts