Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: tie up.

Hammock
    Hennessy deluxe zip
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly 70D
    Rings and biners.

Images
    I use pretty much everything, depending on which hammock I grab. I have 3 HHs that I have not yet changed the rope/hugger/fig 8 lashing yet. Actually, I changed it on my 1st HH UL Explorer to cinch buckle/webbing. But I took it off to use on another hammock and put the old rope back on.

I really don't mind using the stoch HH set up. The others are faster and easier, but no big deal. Not like I am trying to set a speed record once I am in camp. I got a kick out of how fast I could set up at first, and how it was even faster with other set ups, but I'm over that now. But if you are into it, there are faster/easier set ups for sure.

The biggest pain with the stock HH is if you have to adjust centering or height. But I rarely adjust centering, if it is off I will just raise or lower the foot end to compensate. When possible ( most of the time) I don't wrap the huggers more than once around the tree. I just put them one time around the tree, and usually don't cinch. (hard to put in words. Like this except huggers and rope: http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Tri-glid...eb%20Small.jpg ) This way, if I need to change height, I can just move the straps up or down the tree as needed without untying the fig 8 lashing.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    whoopies, soft shackle / marlinspike (depending on the insane girth of some of the trees I bump into around here)

Hammock
    Hennessy Ul Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    Noah 9 / Hen Hex
    Insulation
    reflector/T-rest/
    Suspension
    back to rings
    Rings and biners, but am making whoopies.

Hammock
    HH Asym
    Tarp
    Hex
    Rings and biners here!! Simple, quick and easy is good for me as 'ImSoConfused'.

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Whoopies. I also stole two of those elastic things my girlfriend uses to make ponytails in her hair. Just a loop of loose shock cord. I use them to just make sure the whoopies don't slip off the marlin spike before I get in.
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arbot View Post
    Whoopies. I also stole two of those elastic things my girlfriend uses to make ponytails in her hair. Just a loop of loose shock cord. I use them to just make sure the whoopies don't slip off the marlin spike before I get in.
    Hey this is excellent! Toggles seem like the cheapest and easiest way forward for me, but I was worried about the slippage, but didn't want to head out and find biners (more weight). This is great!
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    HH lashing with biners - I was getting wear on my tree huggers from friction of the rope.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm no expert in hanging. Been about a little over a year and I have a handful of hangs under my belt. I will say this. If I had to rely on the HH lashing, it would consider hanging a pain. It was my biggest hangup (pun intended) of hanging. Talking to a couple hangers who extolled the vultures of whoopie slings...virtues...LOL, my mind was made up.

It really boils down to hang your own hang. To me, an alternate suspension system is what I prefer. You may think that the stock HH suspension is fine for your needs. I live in Florida. A lot of the places I hang don't have a huge selection of anchor points. One day I may have a perfect distance between anchors and another day I may have few. When I made my WSs, I made them long for flexibilities sake. A longer suspension may not be ideal but at least I'm not on the ground. If you are in an area with lots of possibilities for anchors and you don't mind the HH lash, do it your way.

I fussed around with my rig for way too long than I should have when I REALLY should have been hitting the woods. I have since figured that out and spend more time in the woods (and hanging in the backyard) than fussing with my rig.

One comment made here was "setting up for me has never been a race" (or something like that). Awesome. If that's how you approach your time in the woods, don't change your tactics. Me? I prefer to get my stuff straight quick and be done with it. For me, the WS mod on the HH is what makes it happen.

I love this forum because it seems like everybody has their own particular nuances that work for them and nobody will criticize you for sharing your tweaks. Sharing is caring here. It isn't about egos and some thinking their rig is better than yours. If you're hangin' and it works for you, great.

Sorry, I got long winded. It was a long night at work and I need a nap!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    ~Redd Foxx

"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Whoopie loops with 12' yellow Harbor Frieght straps and Elephant trunks. Fast, light and easy. HYOH
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast