Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Small weight on the huggers and a little extra bulk, but lets see the "V" illustrations for treehugger use on tarps as well, please.
    Great idea. I'll add that to my list for the next edition!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'm really intrigued by this method, but I feel like I'm missing something in the process of setting up the CRL this way. It seems like, if you're trying to setup the ridgeline first before attaching the tarp, the only way to get enough tension so the CRL doesn't fall off the tree to the ground is by having the carabiners right up against the trees. However, you would then not be able to pull them out at all to attach the tarp since you would need slack on one end to allow the other end to be pulled out.

I'd love to see a video of this method being setup if someone is able. I'd get out and try it here, but we have no readily available trees in my neighborhood (too new).

I thought about putting some small prusik loops on the CRL just to temporarily clip to caribiners to as I'm setting up to make it easier to attach the tarp, but with no mention of anything like that above, I feel like I'm missing something.

~Dan

EDIT: If you reversed steps 3 and 4, it seems like you could put the CRL up first fully tensioned, clip the tarp into the carabiner with the prusik, giving yourself enough slack to form a larger than needed V, then clip into the fixed end carabiner. When you go to clip into the fixed end by pulling that carabiner out from the tree, the larger than needed V on the other end would shrink up as the line is pulled from the other end. Ideally, you'd have given yourself just enough slack to form the two Vs you want on either end. Again, I might be missing something from the way it was originally explained.
    Last edited by DannyBoy2k; 08-22-2012 at 07:41.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy2k View Post
    I'm really intrigued by this method, but I feel like I'm missing something in the process of setting up the CRL this way.
    Danny,

I'll set up a video to show how this is done. It's quite easy and it is important _not_ to get the ridge line taut first. By keeping it loose, you're better able to slide the tarp from side-to-side to center it between your anchors. Once set, you can easily and quickly tension the ridge line.

Check this thread soon or my blog (http://theultimatehang.com) where I will post a video showing this method.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Danny,

I'll set up a video to show how this is done.
    And, here it is!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    That's outstanding Derek. Seeing it in motion is great. Love the simplicity. Need to go play now.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks, Derek! It was the point where you clipped the second carabiner onto the ridgeline and let go that I thought the system would fall apart. I thought either 1) With so little tension, the ridgeline on either side would just slide down the trees to the ground and then you'd have to push them back up into place while also trying to get the tarp centered or 2) The second carabiner would slide back down the line to the second tree and then 1). In reality, it appears you had enough friction on the line that the ridgeline just sagged a little and everything stayed in place long enough for you to get the tarp setup. Nice!

EDIT: Watching the video again, it looks like it was the hammock itself that stopped my 2) scenario above from happening. Without the hammock there, I wonder if that second carabiner would just slide back to the tree. That side may fall down, but the first side would stay up since the first carabiner is snug against the tree. I guess you could then clip the tarp on the first carabiner, walk it over to the second now on the ground and get the whole thing back into place still. So the whole thing would still work, I think. It's such a slick system, I'm just going to have to try it and see for myself!

~Dan
    Last edited by DannyBoy2k; 11-24-2012 at 06:50.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I've seen a lot of shameless promotion. You are not even nibbling at the edges. I love the illustrations and basic explanation with a link to a longer discussion approach. It keeps it interesting for everybody while giving the folks who want more an easy way to get there. It can't be more hammock related. If votes count you have mine for doing what you are doing.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy2k View Post
    ...In reality, it appears you had enough friction on the line that the ridgeline just sagged a little and everything stayed in place long enough for you to get the tarp setup. Nice!
    ... It's such a slick system, I'm just going to have to try it and see for myself!

~Dan
    Thanks Dan! It does work very well and it is the method I most often use. Your questions/thoughts have made me consider how to update the illustration used in my book to make it clearer on how it works.

I've never had the ridgeline slide down before, and I've often pitched the tarp before having the hammock in place (consider during rain storms). The trick is to provide enough tension that the ridgeline stays in place but loose enough that you can clip the tarp later.

In the second video I made yesterday, I used a different method and, indeed, the tarp slid down the ridgeline. This can be mitigated in a few ways: 1) attach a prusik loop mid-way along hte ridgeline where the one end of the tarp can be temporarily attached while you run the line around the second tree/anchor, or 2) clip the tarp to your body while you walk reach around the tree.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I've seen a lot of shameless promotion. You are not even nibbling at the edges. I love the illustrations and basic explanation with a link to a longer discussion approach. It keeps it interesting for everybody while giving the folks who want more an easy way to get there. It can't be more hammock related. If votes count you have mine for doing what you are doing.
    Thanks Northermark! I enjoy the simple explanations and illustrations too. It's a huge self motivation. Publishing my artwork into a book has changed my relationship with HF by putting a commercial barrier between what I enjoy doing and people's perception of my motives.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I used the method in the original post for about a year and liked it.

Then it dawned on me that I could cut out the line under the tarp and make both ends look like the left side in the illustration, just a simple Dutch hook on each end.

The tarp stays permanently on the TWO ridglelines with Klemheist loops. I adjust the tarp by sliding the two Klemheist loops and don't have to worry about a 3rd adjustment at the second tree.

I use two 9' sections of line with a stopper knot on the ends to keep teh Klemheist loops from slipping off.

This is now the simplest tarp suspension I have ever set up.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast