Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sell it to me...

I'm a long-distance bike tourist- mountain and road. Have great older tent set-up I like a lot and no NEED to replace it- except I was smacked down by a car on my bike about 3 years ago and 3 reconstructive surgeries later, my shoulder's arthritis flares up something fierce with nothing but a pad between me and the ground.
    I'm riding the Colorado Trail Denver to Durango this summer and the only thing I'm worried about is this shoulder issue- it's bad. Looking at a hammock as one possible solution- so here's my questions/needs:
    1) I have ZERO interest in making my own hammock.
    2) Will the hammock potentially address the shoulder/arthritis issues?
    3) I will potentially be camping above treeline 1 or 2 days. How realistic is the bivy set-up some have listed as options- I, obviously, will not have trekking poles but will have a bike (potential "pole").
    4) If I still wanted to use my existing pad (for warmth), what might work?

And, finally, I'd like to have something that would fit in my pack set-up- this means about 18" at longest.
    Suggestions?
    Think 150 or so in budget- I was looking at Hennessy and the JRB-bridge thing from first persuals.
    Mike

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    I'm a long-distance bike tourist- mountain and road. Have great older tent set-up I like a lot and no NEED to replace it- except I was smacked down by a car on my bike about 3 years ago and 3 reconstructive surgeries later, my shoulder's arthritis flares up something fierce with nothing but a pad between me and the ground.
    I'm riding the Colorado Trail Denver to Durango this summer and the only thing I'm worried about is this shoulder issue- it's bad. Looking at a hammock as one possible solution- so here's my questions/needs:
    1) I have ZERO interest in making my own hammock.
    2) Will the hammock potentially address the shoulder/arthritis issues?
    3) I will potentially be camping above treeline 1 or 2 days. How realistic is the bivy set-up some have listed as options- I, obviously, will not have trekking poles but will have a bike (potential "pole").
    4) If I still wanted to use my existing pad (for warmth), what might work?

And, finally, I'd like to have something that would fit in my pack set-up- this means about 18" at longest.
    Suggestions?
    Think 150 or so in budget- I was looking at Hennessy and the JRB-bridge thing from first persuals.
    Mike

Welcome to the site. A Hennessy should work as a bivy with your motorcycle and a tree. I've never used it as a bivy though. What kind of pad do you have?
    As to the JRB bridge, which I own, what is your height/weight if you dont mind me asking? This is important in regards to this hammock IMO as well as others.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Welcome! I am also a cyclist, and I have been interested in hammocks simply for their packability. I will try to answer your questions, and also offer some suggestions...

1. I made all my own hammocks so far, so I can't give you advice on a company.

2. Your shoulder is something I think may be an issue if this is a mountain biking trip you are embarking on. I rode Steamboat Springs to Salida on the Great Divide Route, and I was very surprised at the abuse my hands, arms, and shoulders recieved on the off road decents.

If you are getting upper body pain while riding your bikes, I suggest you look into recumbents. I am riding one now primarily, and there is zero pressure on my hands and arms. All the weight is going into the foam seat and the mesh backrest.

But, you are asking about hammocking, and your shoulder. Well, all I can say is if you are waking up after sleeping on the ground and feeling pain, I would look into hammocking for sure. I have always been a trooper, and never complained too much about sleeping on the ground, but when I get into my hammock, it is a whole other ball game. I have literally dozed off within minutes while testing without even noticing I was falling asleep!

3. I have no experience setting up a bivy with my hammock. I think you are referring to the Hennessey setup. I think you could use the bike as a pole by backtying it. Finding just one more place to tie-off should be relatively easy.

Quite a few here have said that the stock tarp that comes with a HH is too small, and from looking at it, I agree. It wouldn't be for me. And when the clouds open up and the storm starts swirling you would want to be as covered as possible. IMO, the idea of bivying up my hammock while using a small tarp like that in a tent mode that is barely covering you is no good.

4. There is a system by Speer called the Segmented Pad Extender. I feel it looks really funky, but people have really liked theirs. Speer Hammocks Segmented Pad Extenders! This would also cover your need to go to ground.

If I had a bad injury I would probably not be mountain biking. But, you Colorado folk are really crazy for your mountains! And, we Kansans are very jealous! So, I guess if you are going to go, I would think the hammock is likely to rejouvenate you better than sleeping on the ground.
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 05-15-2008 at 09:46.

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Welcome to the site. A Hennessy should work as a bivy with your motorcycle and a tree. I've never used it as a bivy though. What kind of pad do you have?
    As to the JRB bridge, which I own, what is your height/weight if you dont mind me asking? This is important in regards to this hammock IMO as well as others.
    6 ft even, 165 lbs.
    It's a MTB, not a motorcycle. I'll be doing 500-plus miles of MTBing loaded, so weight is part of my concern- trying to keep total package including food but not water below 25 lbs.
    Pad is a standard 1.5 inch Thermarest- I have a system using compression straps that makes it MUCH smaller than you'd think.
    I'm open to other pad suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Welcome! I am also a cyclist, and I have been interested in hammocks simply for their packability. I will try to answer your questions, and also offer some suggestions...

1. I made all my own hammocks so far, so I can't give you advice on a company.

2. Your shoulder is something I think may be an issue if this is a mountain biking trip you are embarking on. I rode Steamboat Springs to Salida on the Great Divide Route, and I was very surprised at the abuse my hands, arms, and shoulders recieved on the off road decents.

If you are getting upper body pain while riding your bikes, I suggest you look into recumbents. I am riding one now primarily, and there is zero pressure on my hands and arms. All the weight is going into the foam seat and the mesh backrest.

But, you are asking about hammocking, and your shoulder. Well, all I can say is if you are waking up after sleeping on the ground and feeling pain, I would look into hammocking for sure. I have always been a trooper, and never complained too much about sleeping on the ground, but when I get into my hammock, it is a whole other ball game. I have literally dozed off within minutes while testing without even noticing I was falling asleep!

3. I have no experience setting up a bivy with my hammock. I think you are referring to the Hennessey setup. I think you could use the bike as a pole by backtying it. Finding just one more place to tie-off should be relatively easy.

Quite a few here have said that the stock tarp that comes with a HH is too small, and from looking at it, I agree. It wouldn't be for me. And when the clouds open up and the storm starts swirling you would want to be as covered as possible. IMO, the idea of bivying up my hammock while using a small tarp like that in a tent mode that is barely covering you is no good.

4. There is a system by Speer called the Segmented Pad Extender. I feel it looks really funky, but people have really liked theirs. Speer Hammocks Segmented Pad Extenders! This would also cover your need to go to ground.

If I had a bad injury I would probably not be mountain biking. But, you Colorado folk are really crazy for your mountains! And, we Kansans are very jelous! So, I guess if you are going to go, I would think the hammock is likely to rejouvenate you better than sleeping on the ground.
    First, I'm a MTB-er- it's my passion. The shoulder pain is constant all day and riding actually makes it better. It's the sleeping on the ground part that kills it. I live in North Carolina- this CT trip is part of a life goal to hit the few long-distance trails open to MTBing. I've gotten some advice from a forum with experienced CT thru-bikers that using the hammock as intended will be a non-issue- plenty of trees, can plan so not camping above treeline.
    I think I'm going to go for it, but would like more feedback about pads and pad usage- bearing in mind I ain't out to break the bank.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, Mike.

Since there are a lot of light-weight-style hikers on this site, your gear concerns and goals are shared by more than a few. There are a multitude of differing approaches, you just have to find the one that suits you.

As a suggestion, given that you've stated you are interesting in non-DIY, packability, using pads, and keeping the cost down - I think that you are looking for one of the Claytor hammocks, specifically check out the Expedition model given your stated dimensions. You are well within it's sizing recommendations, it has a pad sleeve to facilitate comfortable pad use, and includes the bugnet for versatility.

I would recommend getting your tarp from another source, though. The Claytor tarps are on the heavy side. Perhaps one of the OES MacCat models would suit you.

Good luck!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    yeah, if you plan on using an inflatable pad, go with a double bottom hammock, you will be glad you did.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 Cat Cut
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    I'm 5' 11" and 200 lbs (wide in the shoulders) and found the bridge hammock to be uncomfortable due to shoulder squeeze. YMMV. I'd give one a try and see. I'm pretty sure they have a good return policy and the Jack's are stand up guys from my personal experience with them. I have since returned to using my Hennessy paired with JRB quilts and tarp. I find the hennessy much more comfortable for me. I'll be sending my hennessy of for the zipper mod discussed elsewhere on this forum in the next couple of weeks.

I think I'd like a Claytor Jungle model as well but I haven't gotten around to buying one yet. They seem to be a great value for the money.

hth
    This brings a whole new meaning to the question
    "How's it hangin?"

Images
    I know you are going to love riding in Colorado, Mike! My favorite trip by far...albet grueling.

It sounds like you are dedicated to the pad. Since yours packs down so small, I think you should stick with it. However, the pad causes issues inside a hammock because they tend to slide around and generally cause a wrestling match. Most people do one of two things:

1. Get a double layer hammock. Your pad will slide in between the two layers and your body will hold it in place. (Theoretically. I have not experienced a double layer yet.) I believe there is a company that manufactures them, and someone will chime in as to who it is.

Even if you don't want to make one, do you know someone who can sew? This is the easiest project possible; they will spend about 40-60 minutes working on this, so you can proabably get by w/ very little labor. I know that I won't be able to sell you on this, I'll stop trying....

2. Go with the Segmented Pad Extender. It is made for using pads in the hammock.Did you look at that from the link above?
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 05-15-2008 at 11:00.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    Get a double layer hammock...believe there is a company that manufactures them, and someone will chime in as to who it is..

..Go with the Segmented Pad Extender...
    The Claytor I linked above is double layered, and would elminate the need for an SPE.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast