Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Here's a reputable place you can get the buckles and webbing. Also, if you're gonna be sewing a bugnet, go ahead and get 4 yards of fabric from somewhere and make your own for probably cheaper.

Welcome to DIY
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Images
    If you want easy go with webbing suspension.

If you want less bulk and weight go with Amsteel from ReddenMarine. The 7/64 is cheep, strong, even when derated for knots and has virtually no stretch.

Webbing slip-rings/buckles are a bit more hassle to obtain and build in than using the Amsteel, and you need some Amsteel for the ridgeline to hold your bug net up anyways, so just buy some more for the lines too.

I like the nacrabiner/softshackle as a solution for replacing the traditional carabiner. Again much cheaper and lighter than proper climbing biners in light weight.

Not that I don't love my Camp Nano biners...
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Is this stuff the same as Amsteel? I ask because I was perusing around my local army surplus store and saw that they had 45' lengths of this cord for ~$5. It was a lightweight, hollow, soft-textured, braided line that the braiding would sort of loosen up/come apart slightly if you pushed , say, and inch length in on itself. Had no stretch that I could tell from pulling on it as hard as I could. Its width was maybe somewhere in the 1-4"-3/8" range when flattened out. Cant find any strength ratings for it though.

http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/inde...roducts_id=702

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robv60 View Post
    Is this stuff the same as Amsteel? I ask because I was perusing around my local army surplus store and saw that they had 45' lengths of this cord for ~$5. It was a lightweight, hollow, soft-textured, braided line that the braiding would sort of loosen up/come apart slightly if you pushed , say, and inch length in on itself. Had no stretch that I could tell from pulling on it as hard as I could. Its width was maybe somewhere in the 1-4"-3/8" range when flattened out. Cant find any strength ratings for it though.

http://wardenssupplyco.com/cart/inde...roducts_id=702
    From the description, it's probably nylon cord. Which means it stretches quite a bit. It's heavy-duty stuff for rigging gear 'chutes, so it probably won't stretch in your hands. However, it would need to be shock-absorbing (read: "stretchy") to be useful as paracord. You don't want your $500,000 piece of gear that you just shoved out of a plane to break because of sudden stops at the end of a cord.

Mind you, this is inference, so I may be wrong.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Is this stuff the same as Amsteel?
    That's just nylon paracord; it stretches too much for hammock suspension (unless you like waking up on the ground). I don't think you'll find Amsteel Blue or its equivalent at an Army/Navy store.

If you are going to spend money, you may as well spend it on what I consider the best combination of strength, light weight, and simplicity, Amsteel Blue whoopies with tree huggers. And don't forget the wow factor. People who have never seen Amsteel Blue will say, "that rope won't support your weight." When it does, they just say, "Wow!" The neighborhood kids are absolutely fascinated by my Amsteel suspension.

If you don't want to make the whoopies yourself, you can buy a pair from one of the cottage vendors like whoopieslings.com, which sells 6-ft whoopies for 18.50. Add a pair of tree huggers for $14.00 and you have a hammock suspension for $32.50. There are better prices out there too.

Making your own whoopies is relatively easy with all the tutorials hammock forums members have provided on this site. Here's my noob hammock suspension and approximate costs:

Two DIY 8 ft. whoopie slings = $8.40
    Two 8 ft. tree huggers = $5.20 from strapworks.com
    Total $13.60

Your shipping costs may vary, but we're not talking a lot of money to get a decent suspension, one that will probably last longer than you. I'll bet you would spend more on a polyester webbing suspension and buckles.

And the only knot involved in the whoopie/tree hugger system is the marlin spike hitch, which you tie in the polyester webbing/tree hugger to hang the whoopie from.

Though I haven't timed myself lately, I can have my hammock up in less than 3 minutes. 1) Hang tree strap; 2) tie marlin spike hitch around toggle; 3) hang whoopie off marlin spike hitch; 4) do the same on other end; 5) adjust whoopies; and 6) take a nap.

I'm a noob, and I'm just one opinion. I spent weeks evaluating all the suspension options, but the best thing to do is to get hanging as soon as possible so you can see what works for you!

Enjoy!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I weigh 145 and am 5'3"....surprisingly enough I do not bear a "ring of power". Sorry for the bad joke.
    Have you considered the Hennessy Hammock Scout? For $99.95 (excluding shipping), you could have a complete system including hammock, suspension, tarp and bugnet. Note: Children under 12 must be supervised by an adult when using the hammock.

It's designed for people 5'8" or shorter, and 150 lbs. or less. This would get you hanging immediately, and then you could take your time evaluating all the options. At your size and height, you'd be hard pressed to get hammock, hammock suspension, bug net and tarp for that price.

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/specs/scout_zip/

At your leisure, you could then build your own system with the hammock, tarp, suspension and bugnet you want (or DIY). When it's ready, you could sell the HH Scout.

When I first got into hammock camping, I was overwhelmed by all the options. This is my second year at it and I'm still overwhelmed. However, the best thing I did was buy a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip ($149.95) so I could get in the trees immediately. The Hennessy hammocks are complete systems and the only thing you have to learn is how to tie a figure eight knot to the tree huggers.

I've subsequently built two more hammock systems for my sons, utilizing the knowlege gathered on this forum.

The other two are configured thusly:

Two 8 ft. whoopie slings = $8.40
    Two 8 ft. tree huggers = $5.20
    One Byer Moskito Hammock = $35.00
    One Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp = $35.00
    30 ft. tarp ridgeline from cheap Home Depot nylon cord = $1.50

I've recently replaced the tarp ridgeline with Zing-It 2.2 mm rope (approx. $4.50), and the tarp hangs off the ridgeline with Zing-it 1.75 mm DIY soft shackle prusiks (less than $1.00 for two, I would guess). I've also added an adjustable hammock ridgeline from Zing-It 2.2 mm ($3.00), along with a Zing-It 2.2 mm soft shackle at the other end (25 cents?).

So I've spent approx $89.35 on these hammocks systems. However, they really cost a lot more 'cause I tried stupid stuff like the Walmart 10x10 cheap blue tarp ($16.95). The grommets ripped in less than five minutes (grommets are bad). I also tried using a Coleman tent tarp and bought seam sealer ($7.99) but that was a waste of time and money.

So before you go buying things, try to figure out the total cost of everything you want, and then decide if the time, money and effort to DIY is going to make it worth your while. Or maybe you can just get a Hennessy Scout and start hanging immediately! (Note: I do not work for Hennessy or get paid for pitching their products.)

Enjoy your hang!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-30-2011 at 17:42. Reason: typo

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Sounds like Ill be ordering some Amsteel. Works for me. Everyone here is mostly using the 7/64 correct?

Heres what I ended up getting, bought it before I saw the above suggestions which kind of sucks but this is really the most appropriate setup for me at the moment:

Hammock bliss double
    Hammock bliss cinching tree straps. I opted for the bigger hammock so my wife and I can lounge in it when camping. We mostly car camp right now and she still camps with me and has no interest at this time in sleeping in a hammock. -Im hoping to change that. I decided to upgrade to the larger hammock and go without a mosquito net for the time being. All total I spent about the same as I originally planned but got a bigger hammock, no bug net and (hopefully) better tree straps. Im hoping the cinching tree straps will provide for a relatively fast setup but I will probably change the stock suspension over to amsteel. The tree straps are 95" long and have two seperate end loops past the buckle. Im not sure how to do the marlin spike hitch knot given this configuration but thats what I would like to do. There appears to be two 100" lines on both ends of the hammock. If I take these lines off and replace them with a single (?) amsteel line, how long should the lines be? is 100" too much or in your experinces do you find that you typically need longer lines? Im considering just using a carabiner on each end with a ridgeline between the two. I should then be able to hook them directly to the straps and adjust tension with those but im not too keen on buying carabiners. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Yes. 7/64 is the right size. Go ahead and get at least 100 ft. You will use it ALL. I did and now I need to buy more because I want to set up a bear bag system that won't sag. There is a special going on this month at http://www.reddenmarine.com/amsteelblue/
    Once you have chosen the line and have moved to the checkout you can enter the discount code "Hammockforum" and the discount will appear on the total page. Shipping will likely be $4.95 HINT: Stay away from black, as some have reported it gets all over everything.

Look on this board for nacrabiner/soft shakle intructions. You can use 7/64 to make a couple of those intead of carabiners.

Make yourself 2 whoopie slings. Again, instructions are on this board . I have found 6 ft whoopies are sufficient for all but the longest hang widths.
    The Marlin Spike Hitch is so easy to do. Again, instructions are on this board.

You can use 7/64 for a ridge line, too. Or you can use ZingIt or LashIt. The ridge line can be adjustable or structural, as you like it. Again, instructions are on this board . The lighter ropes are OK for ridgelines because they are not weight bearing. 7/64 is the smallest you should use for weight bearing applications, even at your size.

Having loops at each end of the tree huggers is good and will give you more flexibility in how to rig everything.
    NOTE: Amsteel, ZingIt and LashIt are all dyneema, single braid rope. That is what you want for hanging and splicing.
    Have fun!!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Yes. 7/64 is the right size.
    Sounds like Ill be ordering some Amsteel. Works for me. Everyone here is mostly using the 7/64 correct?
    I'm sorry, but "everybody" does NOT use 7/64. Some (many?) use 1/8, which is easier to work, much stronger, and weighs pretty much nothing extra. Lots of advantages and no real disadvantages. Not trying to debate the issue, except for the issue of whether everybody uses one or the other.

No matter which you choose, it's hard to go wrong with Amsteel. Good stuff.

And, of course, the rule is "hike your own hike."

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 10-01-2011 at 20:48. Reason: Corrected from "1/4" to "1/8." Sorry!
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I'm sorry, but "everybody" does NOT use 7/64. Some (many?) use 1/4, which is easier to work, much stronger, and weighs pretty much nothing extra.
    No matter which size you buy, it's probably more than enough for hammock hanging. Here are the specs on the various sizes of Amsteel Blue:

Diameter-Average Breaking Strength
    7/64-1600
    1/8-2500
    5/32-4000
    3/16-5400
    1/4-8600
    5/16-13,700

Every one of those sizes have a serious "Wow" factor.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast