Thread: Noob....UQ???

Noob....UQ???

I am getting close to doing my first trip with my ENO and I have done a lot of research on the forum here but as always seems that I run up on something new that seems I better find out about because it sounds important. My last days tent camping were back in 2004. I did a lot of it then and in the summer time here in TN you would just burn up in a tent. The hanging around I have been doing in my hammock during the day here....testing things out.....the temps have been in the mid to high 90's. I was quite comfortable and was thinking how nice it would be at night to have air circulate around me. I will have a bag under me and a very light wool blanket for the top should I need it at night. The lows I will be experiencing for the next 2 months will be in the mid 60's. But I have read a lot of posts that sounds like if you don't have an UQ, or a pad, even in the summer you are going to get cold. Is this true or am I reading too much into some of these posts? I understand the principals of why you will need something when those night time temps drop down to the mid 50"s. I have been advised on fly placement...given great advice on suspension systems...I had it all wrong and a Whoopie Sling will be ordered this am. I thought I would not need to worry about bottom insulation until fall here in TN. If my thinking is wrong would someone please let me know.

Regards

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock - Tropical
    Tarp
    S to S Tarp Poncho
    Insulation
    Mont Sleeping Bags
    Images
    I do get this problem. I live in the subtropics and find that I want a UQ. I don't know what it is but the wind cuts through the sleeping bag (or in your case a blanket) and makes things very uncomfortable. I don't like the idea of a pad because it kind of ruins the feel of a hammock. I'm searching around for a UQ that will be good for summer (Subtropic Winter) and not too heavy. If a cold snap kicks in I'll atleast be prepared.

My suggestion to you is to try and sleep in your yard or do an overnighter. Sleeping during the day is a lot different than at night. I just cut a 4 day hike into a 1 1/2 day hike because the only way I could stay warm was to keep walking. So that's what I did
    Cocksy from Down Under

http://www.seqhistory.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    I will have a bag under me and a very light wool blanket for the top should I need it at night. The lows I will be experiencing for the next 2 months will be in the mid 60's. But I have read a lot of posts that sounds like if you don't have an UQ, or a pad, even in the summer you are going to get cold. Is this true or am I reading too much into some of these posts?
    If the bag under you is synthetic, I think you will be fine in mid 60's. If it is down, it may compress too much, voiding the insulating properties of the down. Oddly, a cheap sleeping bag works better than an expensive sleeping bag when it comes to bottom insulation in a hammock. That's been my experience, anyway.

Salty

So much to learn!!

Thanks for the info. I wish I had come here before purchasing hammock. I did not want this to turn into a money pit and if I use this forum I think I can prevent that from happening. One thing I do know is that this concept of hammock camping suits my needs for 3 season fishing excursions perfectly and I will get what it takes to stay dry and warm. For those of you who backpack I can only imagine that the hammock seems like a true luxury. I have an 86 year old brother in-law who was in the Navy in WW 2 and he told me they used to save all the old newspapers they could for sleeping in the hammock. They would line the bottom of the hammock with them to help stop some of the air flow from underneath. Of course he told me this after my purchase as I was hanging in his backyard doing testing...LOL. Salty..I am going to start out with the cheap sleeping bag underneath me first. Thanks for the idea. I will be in my car so if it gets too bad I can just come home. I will let all know how it goes. Thanks.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    ...Oddly, a cheap sleeping bag works better than an expensive sleeping bag when it comes to bottom insulation in a hammock. That's been my experience, anyway.

Salty
    You might have something there Salty ... last year I picked up a cheap ... like 16 bucks on sale sleeping bag from Target ... it worked great on a summer night in Linville Gorge ... I went to bed with it under my head but woke up around 1 am and was a bit chilled underneath and rolled it out and slept on it. Thin as the dickens but it was just fine. Not sure how cool it got but maybe in the mid 70's that night.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Alpha,

I've been plugging this product a lot for 2 reasons:

1) it works well
    2) it is cheap compared to underquilts
    3) it is VERY light

Gossamer Gear Thinlight Pad 1/4" Wide.... $30 on the site plus shipping.

My buddy used it on our 5 day hike 3 weeks ago in his blackbird temps dropped around low-mid 60's and he slept great. I used it at 50* for a day hike nap in February and slept great as well.

I highly suggest you take a look in that direction if you dont want to spend an insane amount of money on an UQ and want to save weight.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    or hit up McEntyre for some IX...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi,

I just hung out the other night here in Michigan. It got down to about 47. I was using my DBL ENO and a Exped foam mat(just the mat) and a military poncho liner. I was also sleeping in a pair of running shorts with a tank top on. I will admit I was getting a little chilly towards the morning, but from underneath I was fine. I'm a warm sleeper though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    If you're considering a pad, I picked up one of these ...

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/TorsoPad.htm

... at Trail Days in Damascus, and it works well for warmer weather and weighs nothing. The price is right, too -- just $10. It's just enough to cut that wind chill we get under our hammocks even in summer. I will admit, though, that it made me sweat just a tiny bit. I was sleeping directly on the hammock with the pad in the double-layer pouch of a Warbonnet BB.

Salty

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I made my own QU based on a KAQ design. I used Thinsulate. It blocks the wind and seems to adjust to the temperature. I've used it from 40 degrees up to 70. I use different weight TQs depending on the forecast. By doing that, I never get too hot or too cold with it.

It wasn't too hard to make... just took some time.

Here's one of the pictures of it that I posted.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1
    Last edited by Dudorino; 07-03-2010 at 12:06. Reason: didn't pick up the link...
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

• + New Posts