Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

The set up you've got now is pretty slick. I was using the Garda hitch on Vectran 12 for a couple of hangs but started to get concerned about what the "squeeze" on the cord in the rings was doing to the cord. The HH cord is sturdier stuff, and a lot closer to the diameter of climbing ropes on which the Garda hitch is frequently used.

Grizz
    So then what did you switch to??

Is there a name for this or will it now be know as the GRT suspension for the Grizz Rings/Toggle suspension?
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 08-24-2008 at 19:22.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    So then what did you switch to??
    Basically a trucker's hitch with hardware assist. My suspension cord has a large (say, 4") bowline loop that goes over the toggle. About 6" down the cord from that I put an SMC ring on the cord using a clove hitch. The cord then goes to the hammock, where on most of my bridge hammocks there there is a ring of some king at the apex of the suspension triangle. If trees are close enough then the cord goes back and forth between the suspension apex and the SMC ring, and gets tied off with a slippery half hitch. If the trees are too far apart for the suspension cord to go all the way back to the SMC ring, I can either move the ring down the cord, or tie off at the suspension apex with a round turn and two half hitches.

This has the weight advantage of using one fewer ring on each end. There is a bit more fussing about needed to adjust the length though.

Much as I like the Garda hitch, I did not like the looks of the Vectran where it had been mashed several times by the rings in the same place. Fortunately the cord seems to be more-or-less self-healing. Also, my son's hammock has similar cord and that seems to be holding up better. So I dunno what's going on.

Is there a name for this or will it now be know as the GRT suspension for the Grizz Rings/Toggle suspension?
    oh geez, I added so little to these ideas I'd be embarassed to have it named after me! I'd call it "Rings for COTS hammock suspensions" where COTS is an acyronm for "Common Off The Shelf" (a term used in computer system design, what I do), but that's no title to base an acyronm on.

how about TS (Tracy's Suspension )

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-24-2008 at 20:25.

Hammock
    HH ULBP or Claytor Exp
    Tarp
    Big Claytor
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    rings & things
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    As an alternative... unitl I decided to divest myself of the stock rope entirely, I attached the rings near the whipping on the suspension rope and ran webbing from the tree to the rings.
    That's my current system. I'm too chicken to cut the ropes and also scared to try to replace them.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't see any benefit to replacing them. But I finally got tired of fighting the mess of all that stuff. I knew I was going to stay with the ring buckles so I just tied the rope off securely and used it as the attachment point for the ring buckles. Yeah there is a weight penalty. When I become a gram weenie I'll do something about that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It wasn't until I got fed up with all that spaghetti that I finally did the dirty deed. I didn't want to use the ring buckles with rope.
    I'm with ya on that one, Ramblinrev!

I have trouble centering between the trees sometimes and it sure is a pain to keep serving up the spaghetti

Thanks for posting your photos and the info!

I'm using a 1/2" diameter dowel rod. Poplar I think...not even hardwood.
    Grizz, are you talking about dowels like you would find at Wallys in the craft department?
    I think I might like to give this a whirl. Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    OK, Grizz, I start following your directions and I'm thinkin' to myself, "This ain't too bad. This is really easier than it lo . . . little boom. I'm on the ground. I didn't do the ring lashing quite to spec and quickly slid to ground.
    Thanks for the heads up, HappyCamper!

I really appreciate it when people show photos of their suspension systems along with their descriptions. I'm not sure yet what I will go with when I get to making more hammocks, but anythings got to be better than tying and untying these lines over and over!

Thanks everyone, for all the good info!
    Perkolady

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tried this the other day and darned if it didn't work... Hang the tarp fist... string it separate..... Then if you are like me and you have the rings real close to the whipping. Set the one end of the hammock rings under the ridge tie out for the tarp, ( I have the 12' hex)

That should be very close to centered for the hammock. If not... then cneter your tarp and futz with the hammock once. Mark the suspension rope so you know where the hammock goes under the tarp. Bingo... next time line up the one end and you gots it down... Booo yah...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    That's a great idea to mark it! Why didn't I think of that? LOL

That could really save some futzing time, esp when its "omg I gotta hurry up and get this set up in a hurry" kinda weather!

Thanks again, Ramblingrev!

Perkolady

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post

Grizz, are you talking about dowels like you would find at Wallys in the craft department?
    I think I might like to give this a whirl. Thanks !
    Yep.
    This Marlinspike hitch thing is the coolest thing I've learned to do since HC4U showed me how to coil up cord so that it doesn't tangle when uncoiled.

Grizz

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Yep.
    This Marlinspike hitch thing is the coolest thing I've learned to do since HC4U showed me how to coil up cord so that it doesn't tangle when uncoiled.
    Thanks again Grizz. Time to go shopping for hammock suspension gizmos! Yipeeeee!!

Hopefully, HappyCamper already fell FOR me, so I won't have to!

Perkolady

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Hopefully, HappyCamper already fell FOR me, so I won't have to!

Perkolady
    Absolutely! Just pay attention to those pictures of Grizz's and do his knots and you won't have any problems. Me, I'm always the slow learner.

The cool thing is that now that I've been hammocking for over a year and making my own stuff, I've gotten pretty at good falling. I've got some real style points going. Another 4 years and I'm trying out for the next Olympics.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast