REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    WL-Tad Pole -Black
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by pellet gun View Post
    Do most Hammock hikers out there carry a firearm as protection?? If so, what caliber and where do you stow it when in the hammock??
    Good question. On advice from local residents and friends who grew up in Kentucky, when I backpack/camp/atv there I do carry a Ruger P95 9mm.

However, since I've just transitioned to Hammocking I am interested in the responses to your question since I'll ATVing/Hammocking next weekend in Kentucky.
    TRIUMPH
    Go Your Own Way

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've often thought about making a rifle sleeve like what the cowboys used to carry their 30-30 lever guns in while on horseback. A couple of small loops to hang it from the ridgeline and you'd have quick access to the rifle. If I was a hunter, I'd probably think more about it.
    i want this ....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=260200451#PIC
    this would work great for your idea
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post

I dont have a CCW so it is open carry. Assuming I don't get my clark, anyone got ideas?
    Backcountry or camp use has nothing to do with Concealed Carry laws. You could keep it in or on your hammock as normal. State laws are different, but transporting a firearm is not always relevant to CC laws.
    As for accessories, I bet there is a lot of stuff available for the Taurus Judge.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    WL-Tad Pole -Black
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    My only reason for getting one of those would be if I woke up with a Black Bear clawing at my hammock with me in it, and the bear is unphased at me yelling and screaming like a little girl. I need something small and lightweight for hiking, but with a caliber strong enough to stop a black bear at close range.

I'm also debating if I should just skip the gun idea and go with bear spray.
    On my multi-day backpacking trips in bear country I have started carrying Bear Spray. "Those in the know" tell me this is MUCH more effective in managing bears than a gun.

"When" I do carry a firearm it is to deter to humans, not 4 legged animals. seriously. Especially when backpacking/hanging in potentially drug cultivating areas of the backwoods.
    TRIUMPH
    Go Your Own Way

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by enoorange View Post
    On my multi-day backpacking trips in bear country I have started carrying Bear Spray. "Those in the know" tell me this is MUCH more effective in managing bears than a gun.

"When" I do carry a firearm it is to deter to humans, not 4 legged animals. seriously. Especially when backpacking/hanging in potentially drug cultivating areas of the backwoods.
    yeah i had a few guides tell me bear spray or a whistle works best
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7/ENO Dbl Nest, WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phx UQ/BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    web/whoopies/DCs
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post

I dont have a CCW so it is open carry. Assuming I don't get my clark, anyone got ideas?
    You could think about getting a warbonnet blackbird that has the nice shelve you could store the weapon in, but may have to add a guyline to keep it from sagging into you but I think this would work. The length is nice and could accommodate a short rifle with a stubby barrel probably.

I would love to test this personally and get back to you, but Japan's laws won't allow me to even own a gun here.

I hear great things about he Taurus judge too! Very ideal for backpacking and staying light, yet having stopping power!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 oz. Asym
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Micro
    Insulation
    CCF
    Nothing against guns, but I think a good can of bear spray foots the bill just fine. It's lighter weight and does not requires maintenance.
    And as for storage, I like it strapped on the pack hip belt or, at night, hanging from the ridgeline pocket.
    less is more

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    Canadian here. If I, or most other people, were caught carrying a handgun that would be the end of camping for that weekend

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    I like titanium, whatever I bring I had my wife make a ridge line pouch for me.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Is that a whiskey bottle next to your gun?

I carry a Springfield XDM-9mm inside of a Safepacker hoslter. It's definitely not the most lightweight option but I'm very comfortable with it. It stays on my waist while hiking and I hang it from my ridgeline while in in the hammock.

BTW you guys really need to get off of the bears vs. guns topic. If you can't tell, that's probably where the moderators do not want this thread to go, lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast