Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wow, I thought spinn was stronger than that!?!?

Not sure what you could get for it? Other pieces of gear have sold that had been repaired, not sure what the depreciation was , but they have come up on the for sale thread (don't think I have ever seen a repaired spinn tarp though)!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Well it looks from the pics that panel pulls seem to do the job pretty well!

I don't own a spinn tarp so I can't comment on the material, I have sil and no issues with the material and my bridge, and it has rubbed it, but left no marks or anything!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    I have a Spinn tarp, and I could see a metal rod puncturing a hole in it, given enough force. I can visualize sitting on the very edge of a bridge hammock would cause the opposite side to go back and up. I am always worried I will get a tare in it if I drag it on the ground during setup, especially if I'm in tall grass, and can't see a stick, or branch, on the ground. It seems to be just durable enough, but I'd like to not test it.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    BUMMER for sure! Spreader bars and problems with tarps have been much discussed here. I have had the spreaders rub against the tarp many times, including with the wind driving the tarp against the bars. But far as I can tell, I never had the least damage(Sil-Nyl tarps)

However, here is one way I totally solved that issue:

Notice that this is even with the tarp ends pretty much closed! ( but this was with JRB 11x10 rectangular tarp) I just put a grip clip at the ~ point where the bar rubs the tarp. Then take some light cord and run to a hiking pole and stake to ground, or better yet run it to a tree or tall bush. Works like a charm, gives plenty of clearance. Not only that, it makes the tarp roomier inside and makes it easier to get in the hammock without rubbing against a condensation soaked tarp.

Also, as you probably have already figured: There are ways to sit in the hammock- like way out on one edge- that drives the other end up higher (and into the tarp) than sitting down a little more towards the center.

Is Spin more easily punctured than Sil-nylon?

Spinn is alot thinner than sil. very lightweight, if a spinn tarp is not taunt it will give a crackly sound because it is so thin. Not as thin as cuban but thin. Here is the PM I received from Pan than is very informative:

Obviously the spreader bar is an issue for tarp pitch...First defense is site selection for protection from excess wind, key point for any hammock camper.

Second, the tarp must be pitched with adequate clearance. Note a weighted hammock will drop lower and provide more clearance...If you will not be in the hammock for some period and wish to reduce risk, while away from camp for instance on a short evening hike, the spreaders are easily removed, untilretun and ready to occupy the hammock.

Additionally, how one enters and exits can be important if the tarp is pitched closely...It will swing excesively if one does not use care.

Finally, if forced to pitch with steep sides and wind is expected or already an issue, it may be wise to pad the spreader bar ends with a sock, bandana etc...

Light tarps, Spinn and Cuben, are at more risk than silnyl or Urethane coated nylons...If the tarp does not have panel pull out you might want to conside Grip clips to reinforce the tarps stand off capability.

Personally, we recommend the JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp, The baker pitch provides full side wind blow in protection and a normal hang height as well as good spreader bar clearance.

Hope these ideas/considerations help.

Jack/Pan

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That tarp will now have character...... you can fix it for sure. Right?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Since this was queried in PM as well I'm copying the PM comments into this post since it apples as general info/response to the OP.

Originally Posted by OBOZ
    I hiked this past weekend and it was really windy and rain was moving in. I pitched low and as I sat to in my hammock the spreader bar swung and went right through my Spinn Tarp A $160 mistake.

What advice can you give a bridge hammock newbie on the best way to pitch a tarp that will provide the best coverage without worries of repeating this same mishap?

Thanks for your time and reply.

Obviously the spreader bar is an issue for tarp pitch...First defense is site selection for protection from excess wind, key point for any hammock camper.

Second, the tarp must be pitched with adequate clearance. Note a weighted hammock will drop lower and provide more clearance...If you will not be in the hammock for some period and wish to reduce risk, while away from camp for instance on a short evening hike, the spreaders are easily removed, untilretun and ready to occupy the hammock.

Additionally, how one enters and exits can be important if the tarp is pitched closely...It will swing excesively if one does not use care.

Finally, if forced to pitch with steep sides and wind is expected or already an issue, it may be wise to pad the spreader bar ends with a sock, bandana etc...

Light tarps, Spinn and Cuben, are at more risk than silnyl or Urethane coated nylons...If the tarp does not have panel pull out you might want to conside Grip clips to reinforce the tarps stand off capability.

Personally, we recommend the JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp, The baker pitch provides full side wind blow in protection and a normal hang height as well as good spreader bar clearance.

Hope these ideas/considerations help.

Jack/Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WARBONNET RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    UG WINTER PALACE
    Insulation
    ZREST
    Suspension
    WEB AND BUCKLES
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That tarp will now have character...... you can fix it for sure. Right?
    Shug
    For sure Shug! lol

The blue patch on the grey tarp definitely gives it character

For those asking about Spinn UL compared to Sil, this is alittle cut n paste from Warbonnets site on his tarps:

"Our Spinn UL tarps are offered in many of the same sizes as our silnylon tarps. These spinn tarps are several oz lighter than their silnylon counterparts. Spinn UL weighs about 1.0 osy vs. 1.3 for silnylon, being lighter, the fabric does have a lower tear strength. It's popular with those looking to shave a few oz from their tarp without sacrificing coverage"

More info on SpinnUl vs Sil from OES website:

Great info:

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/fabric.html
    Last edited by *HangMan*; 04-04-2011 at 20:10.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    MLD Hex Tarp syl
    Insulation
    No Sniveler UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I know that was a painful lesson Oboz.. As a new owner of a BMBH and a soon to be owner of a pricey (to me) MLD Tarp I really appreciate your sharing. I may have to slice up an old pair of tennis balls to make spreaderbar pads.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    8X10 all purp tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    12ft dble webbing
    can you put a spreader bar in any hammock...say an ENO dbl?
    God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.

Genesis 1:31

Quote Originally Posted by Sambeaux View Post
    I may have to slice up an old pair of tennis balls to make spreaderbar pads.

Maybe this would be a good time for all whom own a bridge to think about how and what could be used to pad the ends of the bars!? What would be a lightweight and or UL way???

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast