Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strung out View Post
    Great times and Great video man.

Let it be known that MOST OF US SLEPT OUTSIDE EVERY NIGHT.

It was around -16F on the second night. Third night was only around +12 but a bit windy.

thanks everyone for everything you did to make it a great weekend
    Thanks for clearing that up I did wonder after fonkeys camera pan of all the indoors hangers.

Congrats to all that hung the entire trip.
    Looking forward to your trip reports I've got much to learn about hanging at -20F

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Great video Fronky. Thanks for takeing us along sure looks like a grand ol time. This hang is on my to do list for next year.we don't get temps like that around here Glad y'all stayed warm and had fun those spoons look really neat
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images
    Fronkey, what a fantastic video! That looks like it was a contender for best HF hang ever! Boy, I wish I could have been there. Sometimes things just come together great, this looks like one of those. Reminds me of another one that I think was a fantastic hang, way down in AL, at what I think might have been the 1st official Sipsey Wilderness hang in Feb a couple of years ago. The reason that one was so memorable was not only were a bunch of us HF guys- all mostly newly acquainted- being steered through rain past many magnificent waterfalls by Skippy, Angrysparrow, Thomas, Hetorai who all knew the area well. A lot of high water to deal with, big waterfalls as a result and then it snowed! A lot! In Alabama!

So that just could not have come together any better for all concerned. Looks like Y'all have also had a similar perfect outing, dealing with incredibly challenging temps! And superbly recorded by you and Shug! Way to go!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Excellent video, Fronkey!
    We Florida folks are mighty proud of you for not dying out there in the cold!
    I had to represent my fellow Floridians up here. I am looking forward to getting back to S. Florida though. I miss the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Nice! Having that cabin to get a break from the cold sure was a good thing I'm sure.
    And it was good to see Keys! Haven't herd anything from her in some time.
    It really was nice to have it there and the spoon carving was so much.
    Keys had been thru-hiking the A.T. which maybe why she hadn't been on in awhile. Really cool girl she is.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcsandSparks View Post
    Great vid as usual dude! However, I believe I am now renaming you Yard Sale......
    Everyone has a thing. Mine is I always leave something behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Good job Fronkey. Great to see so many folks bravin the cold. More than i could do i think .

bill
    Thanks man. It was a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Great video dude! Good times and you all survived! I'd need to acquire a whole lotta more down before trying those temps. Nothin' like going to town for breaky after a camping trip!

Cheers
    Thank you. I don't know how people did it before down. It was a fourdog night for sure in those temps. That breakfast sure did taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLazy View Post
    Great video, thanks for sharing. Can't believe minus 19. That's got to be tough. I thought I was doing good at around 20 (above zero ).
    Thanks for watching dude. haha -19 sure was something fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Thanks for the trip report, Fronkey! Your borrowed, camo, snow white hammock sock is pretty good and so is that parachute, military, tarpy thing! 2:02AM, –19.8 and a you had to flick the drips – ouch!
    At night I had trouble finding my hammock sock. That late night pee was the worst thing I've ever had to do while camping. ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Buenos View Post
    Truly wish I was there! You guys sure know how to put on a good show. These gatherings are what inspired to put the Central WA mid-winter Hang together.
    We need to get some Minnesotans to the Pacific NW. I call dibs!

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Great video Fronkey!!! Looks like you all had a wonderful time and I'm glad everyone lived and no one's eyeballs froze!
    Thanks a lot Diva. I am really looking forward to the next time I get to hang with those people again. Everyone was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Great capture of the event Fronkey

Sure hope we can do it again

I think you need venting in your sock at the ends, and possibly a breath tube out the end, it will cut the frost a lot.

I only have 3 days to prep for the next adventure outdoors, near Travers City MI, with the Boy Scouts. Leaving again Thursday AM.

I hope to get my report up before tonight though
    Really great advice TZ. I got some good ideas when I was out there too when it came to socks. I loved yours!

Have a blast on your upcoming trip and looking forward to your trip report.
    Again, it was awesome meeting you.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up I did wonder after fonkeys camera pan of all the indoors hangers.

Congrats to all that hung the entire trip.
    Looking forward to your trip reports I've got much to learn about hanging at -20F
    Everyone but 4 of us hung outside the 2nd night. That's why I put it in the video that a few others and I were in there. We were up late in the morning playing cards and didn't want to make the brutal walk back to the hammocks when we were already falling asleep.
    Hanging at -20f wasn't too bad actually. Just over pack everything and you'll be fine. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Great video Fronky. Thanks for takeing us along sure looks like a grand ol time. This hang is on my to do list for next year.we don't get temps like that around here Glad y'all stayed warm and had fun those spoons look really neat
    Thanks for watching man. It was a blast out there and everyone did so great for the -19f night.
    I can't wait to finish carving my spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Fronkey, what a fantastic video! That looks like it was a contender for best HF hang ever! Boy, I wish I could have been there. Sometimes things just come together great, this looks like one of those. Reminds me of another one that I think was a fantastic hang, way down in AL, at what I think might have been the 1st official Sipsey Wilderness hang in Feb a couple of years ago. The reason that one was so memorable was not only were a bunch of us HF guys- all mostly newly acquainted- being steered through rain past many magnificent waterfalls by Skippy, Angrysparrow, Thomas, Hetorai who all knew the area well. A lot of high water to deal with, big waterfalls as a result and then it snowed! A lot! In Alabama!

So that just could not have come together any better for all concerned. Looks like Y'all have also had a similar perfect outing, dealing with incredibly challenging temps! And superbly recorded by you and Shug! Way to go!
    Wow! That's an awesome story. Snow in Alabama is just weird for me to hear.

Thanks a bunch for watching, I really appreciate it.

Fronkey

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Nice video Fronkey. After spending 1 night on the SHT w/TZ and 3 at the Frozen Butt it was weird sleepin in a warm house again. But I got me an awfully nice spoon here. Possession is 9/10's of the law. Put it in the freezer 4 ya.
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Again, nice video fronkey. It was great hanging with all of the guys again! After freezing the first night, i'm glad I was able to tweak a few things to stay warm the second night. I had second thoughts about giving it another shot after not sleeping much at all. The water bottle full of boiling water really helped! The first night, i only had "warm" water and it wasn't enough. Overall a great trip of testing oneself.

Images
    Testing the limits and sharing the info, awesome! Great video, as always. Ya'll seem to have a good time all year long. Life is good!

Images
    I see that while some slept plenty warm, a couple of guys slept kind of cold. Which is hard to understand if it was only minus 19.8, what could the problem have been? (wink,wink) But we might benefit and get an education to see what the problems were. Just an individual think, with some really cold sleepers vs hot sleepers? Did any one go to bed already too cold or without enough hot food in them?

Or was it gear related? What do they think they could add or do different next time to be warmer?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by stairguy View Post
    Nice video Fronkey. After spending 1 night on the SHT w/TZ and 3 at the Frozen Butt it was weird sleepin in a warm house again. But I got me an awfully nice spoon here. Possession is 9/10's of the law. Put it in the freezer 4 ya.
    I hope you took some pics of your trip on the SHT. I was so jealous. Thanks a bunch for grabbing my spoon. I'll have to get it from you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by db View Post
    Again, nice video fronkey. It was great hanging with all of the guys again! After freezing the first night, i'm glad I was able to tweak a few things to stay warm the second night. I had second thoughts about giving it another shot after not sleeping much at all. The water bottle full of boiling water really helped! The first night, i only had "warm" water and it wasn't enough. Overall a great trip of testing oneself.
    I'm really glad you hard a warm 2nd night. We'll for sure be hanging again soon and have to plan a trip(s) to the SHT this year. I already miss my hammock!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Testing the limits and sharing the info, awesome! Great video, as always. Ya'll seem to have a good time all year long. Life is good!
    Mn is a fun place to live. Thanks a lot for watching!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I see that while some slept plenty warm, a couple of guys slept kind of cold. Which is hard to understand if it was only minus 19.8, what could the problem have been? (wink,wink) But we might benefit and get an education to see what the problems were. Just an individual think, with some really cold sleepers vs hot sleepers? Did any one go to bed already too cold or without enough hot food in them?

Or was it gear related? What do they think they could add or do different next time to be warmer?
    A couple guys slept cold because their uq wasn't hanging properly. But, the 2nd night they dialed it in a little better and were nice and toasty.
    I personally did some laps down the trail before jumping in my hammock to be a little warm.
    I'm not sure why the others that I didn't talk to were cold. But, from the ones I did, it was pretty much either not enough insulation or the suspension was a wee bit off.

Fronkey

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast