Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Grand Trunk TreeSlings

Apologies in advance if there is already a thread about this, but I've been unable to find it.

Is using 5.5mm Dyneema to attach directly to the tree okay for the tree? If it is as safe as using straps, this seems like a pretty good solution for me. Thoughts?

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    In case anyone stumbles on this thread with the same question, I'll add this note.

Last night I decided to make my own version of these using 1/4" twisted poly I got on the cheap in the marine section of Academy Sports. I used two 25' lengths which doubled and knotted amounted to about eleven feet of available suspension.

Assessment:
    • Too bulky for backpacking. Though the cordage I used was thicker than that of the Grand Trunk version (5mm compared to my 1/4") I imagine their version would still take up more space in my pack than my poly web straps.
    • I did notice there was no damage to the bark of the trees which was half of my interest in the project.
    • The slings also went up very quickly. I would guess it took me approximately a minute from bagged to hanging.
    • I will definitely be using these in the backyard and when car camping, but this is not a real substitute for my web straps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Out of curiosity, what species of tree were you tied to?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Out of curiosity, what species of tree were you tied to?
    Cannibal, I'm embarrassed to say I don't know. It is a small maple on one side, but the other one has me stumped. It's a very soft wood with a pulpy core, very broad leaves (typically about eight inches wide, but some upwards of twelve inches or more), bark like a mimosa or holly, and very sticky cotton-like blossoms. In fact, I've been told it's a cottonwood tree, but that person was just guessing, and the size of the leaves and pulpy branches don't fit the description.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm surprised there was not at least an indentation in a soft barked tree; good news.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'm surprised there was not at least an indentation in a soft barked tree; good news.
    I was, too. I chose the two that I did because I've been debating cutting them down anyway, but I'm glad it worked out because it's actually a very nice spot to hang a hammock!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Your mystery tree may be a hybrid cottonwood, we had some at a house I used to live at, they would have very sticky sap on the cotton pods and the bark and wood was a bit soft and very fiber-us. SP? The ones we had were a tree that Boise-Cascade--no just Boise hybrid for tree farms for paper, the wood is almost stark white and very soft making it good for milling into paper products. I want to get my hands on some more of them as they grow super fast and would make great hanging trees most of the year once the sap wads are done falling in the spring.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Your mystery tree may be a hybrid cottonwood, we had some at a house I used to live at, they would have very sticky sap on the cotton pods and the bark and wood was a bit soft and very fiber-us. SP? The ones we had were a tree that Boise-Cascade--no just Boise hybrid for tree farms for paper, the wood is almost stark white and very soft making it good for milling into paper products. I want to get my hands on some more of them as they grow super fast and would make great hanging trees most of the year once the sap wads are done falling in the spring.
    That sounds exactly like the tree.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    In my experiences this those trees (if in fact they are the same) they have a fairly thin bark as the tree grows so fast they do not build up much of an outer layer until the tree is very old-10-12 years for them. And the inner layers and the wood of the tree tend to be quite soft. You may not have seen any damage to the tree but it may have stressed inner layers. Not a big deal for your own trees in your back yard, but I would not hang off of similar trees without webbing else were. Over time they may begin to show wear that will not be visible until down the road at some point. If they are the hybrids they were only meant to grow for about 10 years and then be cut down milled for pulp and replanted.

Here is the view as you head down the free way near Boardman OR of the tree farms where they grow them.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    This tree is significantly older than that. Best estimate from my neighbor who has lived there 35 years says it's at least that old. Based on it's location, I don't think it was intentionally planted there so much as it was just left standing when they cleared the lot.

That's good information about damaging it beneath the bark. I'm not worried about this one as much since it's obviously seen more abuse than I'll give it (found a nice rusted nail in the trunk -- previous owners were not kind to this house), but I definitely don't want to go out in the woods and damage anything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast