Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Yay! Another quilt thread

Ok, I have some 1.1 DWR and a bunch of polarguard coming in the mail on Friday, and I need to make a quilt by next weekend. I know there are threads and websites all over giving directions, but I am stubborn. I tend to make my own directions and try things my own way, so i want to post them here for anyone to comment on. Also, maybe if someone sees any flaws in the plan I am missing they might be kind enough to comment.

I plan on putting the two pieces of DWR together with the outsides facing in, and sew the two long sides and one short side. Now I have a giant pillow case. Then I will turn it right side out so it is a hollow blanket. Then I take the polarguard and slide it into the pocket like a pillow. After that I sew the end of the DWR shut, and sew another stitch around the entire edge including the insulation. This will connect everything together. Then I will sew those little loop things that allow it to loft but stay in place. The whole idea here is to keep from having to try to keep 3" of insulation and 2 sheets of DWR in place and sew it all at once. The pocket will keep the insulation from moving around as I sew it to the nylon so it is easier to handle, and it doesn't get off line and crooked and junk.

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan on using this quilt on a 2 week trip this year, but also on an AT thru next year. That is why I am going with a 3" loft. I would think that could take me down to the single digits.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    just a thought. i've been thinking that if a person wanted to make a synthetic insulation quilt & not do the traditional method, they could...
    pin the 3 layers together as they will end up,
    sew all the way around the edges
    trim the excess liner & insulation
    fold/roll the shell edge over & sew to from the finished edge
    add quilt loops... done.
    note... i would pin it so the insulation will end up a few inches wider than the liner & the shell will end up a few inches wider than the insulation.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P2270002.JPG
    that should cause less compression of the insulation when it's draped over you. ...tim
    Last edited by slowhike; 05-24-2007 at 05:50.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    A suggestion to retain your sanity: Use some of those loop ties used to stabilize the quilt insulation on the corners of insulation itself before sliding it into the 'pillowcase'. The layers tend to slip around a bit as you load it and are a real bear to maneuver once inside. You can use regular thread for the loops that hold insulation only. I use acrylic yarn for those that hold the whole quilt.

Images
    Are you planning on doing a rectangular quilt, or one with a permenat footbox? I have pics in my gallery of my rectangular ones closed by a drawstring at the foot end and 2' of omni tape up the side. I also put a drawcord on the top to help close it around my shoulders. The drawcord takes away a little of the length. I made mine 6" longer than I am tall. as a quilt it comes up to my chin.

I am working on an article for my down quilts. I got a little side tracked with school and trail days. Take a lot of pics through your construction. It would be cool to have both on this site.

Jeff volunteered to convert my .doc to html. Maybe he'll chime in on this.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I am waiting on that article.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I am waiting on that article.
    I am going to try and finish that up today. PM me your email and I'll send my the .doc of it. Size wise it is going to end up a couple megs with the photo's. I don't have the software to make .pdf's at home.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I don't have the software to make .pdf's at home.

I think there are web sites that will convert it to PDF for free. If not, I have a friend that can convert it to PDF for you. Just email the DOC to me and I will have him convert it and then I will send it back to you.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I think there are web sites that will convert it to PDF for free. If not, I have a friend that can convert it to PDF for you. Just email the DOC to me and I will have him convert it and then I will send it back to you.
    I'll look for the websites. I have the software at school. I am just trying not to drive there unless I have to. Gas is getting costly.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    http://www.pdfonline.com/

Try that site. I think I have used it before.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    A suggestion to retain your sanity: Use some of those loop ties used to stabilize the quilt insulation on the corners of insulation itself before sliding it into the 'pillowcase'. The layers tend to slip around a bit as you load it and are a real bear to maneuver once inside. You can use regular thread for the loops that hold insulation only. I use acrylic yarn for those that hold the whole quilt.
    FD: All this talk about quilts over the years, and it never occurred to me to do that!

Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast