Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tarp ideas

tarp ideas

hi guys i'm new here. i split my time half and half with a tent and a hammock because of my dog. i decided because of the deal on the hh i was going to spend more time in a hammock and got one. i have been using a off the shelf hammock form sportsmans warehouse with a lowes tarp. now that i'm using a good hammock i want a better tarp and the one that comes with the hh is too small for me so i was thinking of making one. the problem i have is that i know nothing about the different cuts/designs or sizes. any help ya'll could give would be greatly appreciated and pics would help too since i dont know what ya'll are talking about. and what is a cat cut?

Images
    well, 11-12 feet seems a popular length, 10 feet is about the widest width and alot seem to like that, although 8 is a popular width too. the most popular shape is something 6-sided like a hex or elongated hex, but people have been making 4-sided tarps lately too. cat-cut is just cutting the edges to be a little curved/concave rather than a straight edge, this just cuts away what would otherwise be loose fabric along the straight edge, it can make it possible to get a tighter pitch and also makes for less noise in wind. looks cooler too. good luck

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! Your opinion of the HH tarp is shared by many others. The stock tarp is 'sufficient', but not more.

You say that you're interested in making a tarp? I would start by having a look at the BlackCat Directions. That is a very well thought out design of the 'cat cut hex' style. Having a good look at it will answer some of your questions about tarp types.

If you want to have a look at commercially available tarps, some of the most popular are the OES MacCat, Speer WinterTarp, JRB 11x10, and Warbonnet SuperFly.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

there seems to be many options. so far i like the winter tarp design. where i usually go it can rain a lot and if i'm right it would help with the rain and should allow me to use the hammock more in the winter. but someone might bring up something that works better. in the mean time does anyone have more info on the winter tarp?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are some posts about the JRB and Speer winter tarps here on HF if you use the search function. And here's a tarp page...a little dated right now but it has pictures and descriptions of the different options that may help you.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What info are you looking for about the winter tarps? I used Warbonnet's SuperFly (winter tarp) on the AT last season and continue to use it here in Colorado. I have not personally used the Speer Winter Tarp (on my Xmas list), but camped for a couple of weeks with a fella who did. Both are fantastic; amazing protection from rain AND wind, well built, and (for what they are) lightweight.

Due to their weight, for me, they are an *extra* in my gear collection. I wouldn't want the extra weight for warm weather trips. For those I use one of my MacCats. They are as much as a 1/3 (Spinntex Standard Size) of the weight. Think full can of beer! The larger MacCats would be a fine choice for warm rainy weather.

I've got a lot of time under a winter tarp, so ask away. I'll answer as best I can.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've got a lot of time under a winter tarp, so ask away. I'll answer as best I can.
    I'm going to start a new thread for winter tarp questions, spurred on by your reply to irrationalsolutions, Cannibal. It's a very good topic, and timely.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I'm going to start a new thread for winter tarp questions, spurred on by your reply to irrationalsolutions, Cannibal. It's a very good topic, and timely.
    Sure, blame me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Sure, blame me.
    Not to steal your signature, but:

BLAME ON!

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    The trend seems to be toward larger winter size tarps. For those who can afford more than one tarp, the idea would be to have one for winter and one for summer use.

I have 2 homemade tarps, one 10 x 10 and one 9 x 5, both flat. I really want an 8 x 10 for 3 season use as the 9 x 5 can be too small at times. Hopefully a McCat is in my near future.

I have found some really good hammock sites on the trail where my 10 x 10 is just too big. Here in the PNW, I tend to hang more from conifers where they can be brushy down low or in a grove with some smaller trees and the 10 x 10 is just too big sometimes and does not always allow me to fit into tighter spots. This is where a hex cut can be a big advantage. In other areas where you might be hanging primarily from deciduous trees, this may not be an issue.

I would suggest that you consider when the bulk of your tarp use will occur, and if it is primarily summer or 3 season use, you can easily get by with a smaller tarp and save a few onces and a few dollars. Again, I think something close to an 8 x 10 is a good all around size for 3 season use and without the weight penalty.
    "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun" -Ben Franklin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast