WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Turkey

Last weekend I was hanging and heard a pretty weird sound.. then I saw it.. it was the biggest turkey I have ever seen. Now, I am 5'11" and this turkey almost came up to my chest...just above my stomach.. It was making some strange noises. The more I talked to it.. the louder it got. Must have known November is quickly coming up.
    Needless to say.. it was freaky.

Jerry

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If you use bear sent, (urin)
    Do I want to know how you collect it ???

While hanging in my hammock along the Neuse River here in NC I got to listen to all the power boats going up and down the river. One of them turned out to be some fishermen going slowly along the shore in their boat and when they got to where I was they hit my hammock with their spotlight and I heard one of them tell the others "I think theres someone camping there", I yelled back... and your light is real bright.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    McCat Ultra
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Images
    A friend and I were awakened one April morning about sunrise by barred owls fussing at wild turkeys. They were hooting and gobbling at each other for almost an hour. I finally went back to sleep.

Don't argue with the alligator until after you cross the river.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I had a coyote howl a blood-curdling scream at the moon one night, about 40 feet from my camp. Didn't get back to sleep for a LONG time!

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    I was Staffing a Wood Badge course in Idylwild last Aug. And the owls (Grate Horned) coyotes and coons were having a party both weekends. But i hear mostly the coyotes when I camp.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY Uglyquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was sleeping in my parents camper at their house for 4th of July (they live in the woods of Oregon) and I was woken early one morning by what sounded like a loud maniacal laugh followed by a goose-like honk, every 30 seconds or so for 5 minutes. Turned out to be a peakcock.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Back in the dark ages (about 3 B.H.--before hammocks), I was out with the scouts and was awakened in my tent by the most awful sound. It was a raw gruff snorting, loud and harsh. We were on a friend's property, and I was aware wild hogs had been spotted on a few occasions; in fact, there was a penned hog just 50 yards away, but it was much closer than that. It kept going, and I could not get back to sleep, frankly concerned about the hog outside the tent. After finally drifting off and being woken again, it suddenly dawned upon me that it was the other scout leader in snoring in the tent beside me.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Armadillos.

I woke at an established campsite to the sound of what seemed like an entire cub scout troop tromping through the bushes next to my site. I got up, hoping that it wasn't a bear or someone trying to steal my bike, and looked out, and sure enough...a single armadillo was making all of that noise.
    On the last day of my Woodbadge course back in 2006, I was sitting up with unbelieveable heartburn (caused by walking tacos), when I heard something making quite a racket outside my tent. Eventually I put on my headlamp and stuck my head outside to find an armadillo rooting about 10' from the tent on the edge of the bushes. Man, those things make some noise!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Sometimes I pity those poor city folk who never come out and enjoy the wonderful (scary, eerie, screechy, etc, etc,) sounds of nature.

In the city at night,
    there is all kinds of fright.
    Most just out of sight.
    Makes you wish it was daylight!

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    Quote Originally Posted by easyriver View Post
    Sometimes I pity those poor city folk who never come out and enjoy the wonderful (scary, eerie, screechy, etc, etc,) sounds of nature.
    Agreed. I moved to a small city to go to collage years ago. I lasted 2 agonizing months before I decided to move home and commute.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    12 x 12
    Insulation
    Pad & Pack
    Suspension
    Rings & Straps
    Images
    I don't mind most night noises in the woods. Two things do freak me out though, the first is the sound of human footsteps. The second is the Tawny Owl call, which is a haunting call best described as sounding like a person imitating an owl call. Added fear factor since it's usually responded by a second one which makes it sound like you're being bracketed.

Have a listen --> http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Strix-aluco-5.mp3
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast