Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Quick advice needed! Snow, wind, cold

I'm heading out for some backpacking this weekend and after saturday night, it will be getting cold, around 10-15F° at night. Winds appear to be 20-30mph with gusts up to 40+mph. I'm pretty sure I can get out of the wind for the most part, but I'm starting to think about taking the tent instead of the hammock...after I've finished all my packing of course

My main concern is snow blowing up under the tarp and making a mess. Or thru the opening between doors on my BMJ. I may not be able to get the tarp all the way to the ground. NOT enough snow exists to build up walls. Although it would be handy I don't have a hammock sock, nor do I plan on adding one for the type/amount I do.

So this is just basically a "what would you do" to help me make up my mind in the short amount of time I have before leaving.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I'm hard core and look forward to the challenges that mother nature sends my way. With a sheltered location out of the wind to pitch your tarp. Assuming that you have sufficient insulation for the temps you expect. Perhaps throw a extra pair of insulated clothing in your gear to put on if you do get cold. A bottle with warm water brought into the hammock with you will add lots of comfort. I would say go for it.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Pitch your tarp with the windward side all the way to the ground, like a lean-to. Also don't forget the hot water bottle trick.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You can use ground litter (leaves and sticks) to build-up the ground to close the gap between ground and tarp. Snow is the easiest thing to use, but there are plenty of options. You just need a break in place, not a total barrier. Hang a jacket on one end of your tarp and your pack at the other. It doesn't block much, but you might be surprised how much it does block.

I agree with Poppabear about the challenges of Mama Nature. There is no better teacher than a little bit of suffering. It forces you to find solutions. Be smart and be safe, but push the edge when you come upon a new one.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I firmly believe that pads have a place in cold weather hanging. A flexible ccf will cut all wind from under you and can be used with an underquilt. They don't weigh much and if you need to go to ground because of the cold you have it.

My. 02!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Go for it! Just pick location as much out of wind as possible and hang tarp as low as you can. That's what I do anyway. I will usually try to put all my gear not being used on the side the wind is coming from to help block the wind from coming in under tarp if not enough snow to build up. I had a buddy stop at Wally World and pick up a cheap blue tarp one trip that the wind was bad and fixed to ground and ove his hammock tarp. It didn't go all the way to ground on other side but didn't need it too. It was cheap and light enough and did the job. Have fun either way you go!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    Go for it! Just pick location as much out of wind as possible and hang tarp as low as you can. That's what I do anyway. I will usually try to put all my gear not being used on the side the wind is coming from to help block the wind from coming in under tarp if not enough snow to build up. I had a buddy stop at Wally World and pick up a cheap blue tarp one trip that the wind was bad and fixed to ground and ove his hammock tarp. It didn't go all the way to ground on other side but didn't need it too. It was cheap and light enough and did the job. Have fun either way you go!!
    Yes. The 5x7 outdoor tarp from walmart only weighs 9oz. Never leaves my pack. Totally forgot about it.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good responses! I'm no newcomer to bad weather...in fact I love pushing it and actually wait to take trips until it arrives. Praying for snow every day of winter! Got the snowshoes ready for the end of the trip.

I love extreme weather but I'm questioning my setup with this wind. I think I'll give it a try. I didn't think about hanging my jacket and pack on the ends, or using sticks and whatever to block down below.

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I don't winter camp (yet), so no advice from my experience.

What's your backout plans if things are bad? Short walk to the car? Setup the tent in case it is more than you can handle?

Seems like picking a good location with natural wind blocks would be very important.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I don't winter camp (yet), so no advice from my experience.

What's your backout plans if things are bad? Short walk to the car? Setup the tent in case it is more than you can handle?

Seems like picking a good location with natural wind blocks would be very important.
    I'll bring my tent and leave it in the car. It would really suck packing up in the night and going back, but I would rather do that than carry both. No space anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast