Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post
    Great pix !
    Something wrong whith your chevy?
    The hood is up.
    I hate to say it but that is a Ford. Long story but it is my parts truck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I hate to say it but that is a Ford. Long story but it is my parts truck.
    I'm Swedish and not really into cars , but i thought all of you drove chevy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

hung my Blackbird

so my WBG Blackbird came this week (double layer 1.1 oz). I hung it this morning, climbed in, and finally "got it" w.r.t. what WBG has done.

The hammock body is a normal rectangle, on the wide side. When you get and hang on the diagonal it is very much like hanging on the diagonal in an ENO or Treklight. And in the ENO or Treklight you get opposing walls of fabric on the corners of the hammock on the diagonal different from what you're laying on.

What I think WBG has done is to add fabric such that when you're on the diagonal, the "walls" on either side of you are symmetric, not one end high and one end low like you have in an ENO. He's put a bug net on top of that, and then the "wings" pull these walls down. The shelf you get is the wall of fabric near your head, on the corner opposite the corner you're laying in, pulled down and out by the wings.

Very clever.
    Very very clever.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post

Very clever.
    Very very clever.

Grizz
    Yes, yes but do you like it

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    The price beets all the other competitors like Hennessy and the Bear Mountain Bridge, Clark Jungle Hammock. The only down fall is that it does not come with a tarp but most people including myself end up buying a bigger tarp anyways. For the price, room and comfort I would highly recommend this style hammock to all.
    I'm definitely considering this hammock, but this quote sort of confused me. A HH, with tarp, can be had for, what, 130 bucks for the normal one, 190 for the backpacker? And if you order direct from Hennessey, you can substitute a hex fly for no additional cost.

The warbonnet, with a hex fly, would be around 250 dollars, depending on which model you got. Doesn't seem cheaper to me.

However, I'm still leaning towards the warbonnet - the pad slot is a big selling point for me. Only downside is, I could buy a HH from REI and take advantage of REI's generous return policy if I was unsatisfied.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I'm definitely considering this hammock, but this quote sort of confused me. A HH, with tarp, can be had for, what, 130 bucks for the normal one, 190 for the backpacker? And if you order direct from Hennessey, you can substitute a hex fly for no additional cost.

The warbonnet, with a hex fly, would be around 250 dollars, depending on which model you got. Doesn't seem cheaper to me.

However, I'm still leaning towards the warbonnet - the pad slot is a big selling point for me. Only downside is, I could buy a HH from REI and take advantage of REI's generous return policy if I was unsatisfied.
    I'd go with the Blackbird. You will really like having as pad pocket (slot).
    From what others have said, the extra room on each end while on the diagonal sounds to me like a more comfortable hammock than the Hennessy. I have owned 3 different model Hennessys.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Disclaimer: 1st season hammocker.
    I use a HH ULBP and now a Blackbird single 1.1 (only two nights of test hanging). For me a significant factor in making the Blackbird my #1 hammock is the comfort of a flatter lay, easier to climb into my bags and the shelf storage area. HH is fine hammock, but for me the Blackbird is the better of the two. Also now with no bugs plan to see the stars clearly instead of through the bug net. Just unzip completely and flip the netting to the side.

If you have or plan to use any JRB UQ, WeatherShield2 the Blackbird is compatible. So is the HH ocf underpad & space blanket combo. I just suspended the under pad by the head and foot shockchords using glove hooks attached to the Blackbirds suspension line by light line and a Prusiking hitch.
    Noel V.

Images
    i'll give you a 60 day money-back satisfaction garantee.

you have to consider what kind of tarp is "included". don't know for sure, but the hh's used to only come "standard" with a pu coated fly. pu coated nylon is signifigantly heavier, cheaper, and the coating can wear off after repeated stuffing, you might check, but i wouldn't be surprised if you had to pay extra for the sil hex.

the hh is probably still cheaper depending on the model, i can't beat the price of a china made hh, i have to charge more to afford to do this, but i'm not selling the same thing for more, i'm selling something different.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    For what i'ts worth, I wasn't questioning the value, just questioning attroll's statement that the warbonnet is cheaper than a hennessey. That didn't make sense to me.

Either way, I've been convinced that this is the better hammock, and sent my PM to place an order. I'm already thinking about how I'm going to be able to make myself warm enough for mid-30 degree nights over the next month or so. I am thinking thermarest in the pad slot, old 40 degree synthetic bag used as an underquilt, and 15 degree mummy bag inside. That 'oughtta do

Did I mention I don't do much cold weather camping and generally hate it?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    For what i'ts worth, I wasn't questioning the value, just questioning attroll's statement that the warbonnet is cheaper than a hennessey. That didn't make sense to me.

Either way, I've been convinced that this is the better hammock, and sent my PM to place an order. I'm already thinking about how I'm going to be able to make myself warm enough for mid-30 degree nights over the next month or so. I am thinking thermarest in the pad slot, old 40 degree synthetic bag used as an underquilt, and 15 degree mummy bag inside. That 'oughtta do

Did I mention I don't do much cold weather camping and generally hate it?
    Come on now, cold weather hanging is when it starts getting real fun.
    Had my best hang at 10 degrees on Blood Mountain last year.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast