Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

Jeff has the best ideas...

I made a Just Jeff all-in-one last night. The stitching isn't the best, but it works great so far!

I cut up my stock HH tarp to make it, so it's a nice stealthy brown. I used some cord I had lying around the house for a drawstring, but I'm going to replace that soon. I haven't decided to stick with static cord like Jeff's original version or use shock cord like the JRB model.

I need to hang my HH today anyway to measure for an overcover (thanks for the idea on that one, headchange!), so I'll string up the A-I-1 as a gear hammock while I'm at it. I tried the pack cover application already and it works like a charm. I'll get some pics up soon!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Use the shockcord. I just used the regular cord b/c I didn't have any shockcord. Be sure to add the tabs if you didn't, too.

Most of my ideas are just different applications of things I've seen somewhere else, so I can't take credit for them. I'm kinda proud of the gear hammock pack cover, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Use the shockcord. I just used the regular cord b/c I didn't have any shockcord. Be sure to add the tabs if you didn't, too.
    I'd thought about shock cord and tabs, but I wasn't really sure how that would work from the description on the JRB site. Will the gear hammock be long enough to reach from the HH whipping knot to the side tie out, or will I need to add static cord for attachment via corner tabs? I just figured static cord all the way around, with mini biners in two corners...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have 2 AIO covers I have made myself. My first one was one of the first sewing projects I tried so it's not the pretties thing in the world but it works great. I made a new one last week and really took my time and it came out really nice.

I agree Jeff's AIO is a great idea.

I had no idea that the JRB model used shock cord. I am going to have to change mine. Has anyone had good luck with the shock cord sold on Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post

I need to hang my HH today anyway to measure for an overcover (thanks for the idea on that one, headchange!), so I'll string up the A-I-1 as a gear hammock while I'm at it. I tried the pack cover application already and it works like a charm. I'll get some pics up soon!
    I would suggest you try setting it up as a gear hammock using slowhike's idea of a hiking pole and line. It's great setup. Here's a pic:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=27

I tried measuring when I made my top cover but the HH weird angles made marking the pattern on the fabric time consuming and tedious.

When I made mine I laid my HH out on the floor netting side up. I streched the hammock out by tacking 4 small nails in the floor and then hooking the side tieouts on 2 nails and tied the head and foot off to the other 2 nails, making sure the hammock was streched out fully. Then I just laid the fabric diagonally over the streched out hammock, and then I eye-balled about a 4" overlap on all sides and drew lines using a yardstick, and then cut it out. If you arrange the fabric right you only have to make 3 cuts.

I folded the fabric back at the side tie-outs and the head and foot and marked where I wanted the edge of the hem to be located and then roll hemmed those 4 points. I made sure the netting was not exposed at these points (I was trying to keep as much warm air as possible inside the hammock).

I then sewed in 4 drawstring channels just like Jeff's AIO. In all honesty my top cover is nothing more than a lop-sided AIO.

The top cover I made was made very quickly and is certainly not my best work. One mistake I made was not taking note of the orientaion of the cover on the hammock when I hemmed it. The finished side of the hem faces down when the cover is installed on the hammock. It's purely a cosmetic thing but it still bothers me.

• + New Posts