Hammock
    Tommy Hamamca XX Grande
    Tarp
    roof over my head!
    Insulation
    sleepnbag+blankets
    Suspension
    vario stand
    If it's car camping, and you won't have to hike very much, then I have a suggestion:

Use a quilt. No not an underquilt, but a regular quilted quilt. I do this with my mayan hammock. I double the quilt up and put it under me, then I'll use a sleeping bag on top of me. I've done this many times and it keeps me cozy. However, I've only tried it down to about 24*F. My sleeping bag (cheapo-walmart one) is only rated to 32*F. I'll have to dig out my nice expensive sleeping bag if it gets colder.

Quote Originally Posted by kibakichi37 View Post
    If it's car camping, and you won't have to hike very much, then I have a suggestion:

Use a quilt. No not an underquilt, but a regular quilted quilt. I do this with my mayan hammock. I double the quilt up and put it under me, then I'll use a sleeping bag on top of me. I've done this many times and it keeps me cozy. However, I've only tried it down to about 24*F. My sleeping bag (cheapo-walmart one) is only rated to 32*F. I'll have to dig out my nice expensive sleeping bag if it gets colder.
    That's probably a good idea there, that does not involve me buying anything extra. You just use the quilt under you, and the sleeping bag over you like a blanket, or do you actually zip up in the sleeping bag?

Although I did see a Windshield Reflector on clearance at WM that I picked up.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I'd go with the quilts from the Mayan hammocker.

My first 2 hangs were in the desert and I had similar conditions as you.
    I mistakenly brought WAYYY too thin of a gossamer gear 1/8 inch pad.
    The next night, I tried the Thermarest Neo
    I fought all night with the movement.
    So utterly frustrating.

Had I made a post like this, I would have been better armed the first time.
    I am soooo not into that "freezing makes for learning."

I learned to hang in my house.
    I bought some porch swing thingies for 3.47 from Wally World.

I then practiced every night with any type of pad.

within a few short weeks, I sprung for a fellow HF UQ, for which I am ever so grateful!!! Even then, it took me 3 nights to realize I needed to really
    cinch it up at the head and around me to stay warm.

I also experimented with my down 0 degree sleeping bag as well as my North Face 15 degree synthetic bag.

I now sleep in my hammock nearly every night.

Make it comfy , I say!!

Hammock
    Tommy Hamamca XX Grande
    Tarp
    roof over my head!
    Insulation
    sleepnbag+blankets
    Suspension
    vario stand
    Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    That's probably a good idea there, that does not involve me buying anything extra. You just use the quilt under you, and the sleeping bag over you like a blanket, or do you actually zip up in the sleeping bag?

Although I did see a Windshield Reflector on clearance at WM that I picked up.
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner! I actually sleep in the sleeping bag with it zipped up.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Go for it!! Get a pad, use a sleeping bag and put a windshield reflector up around your shoulders. May have a few cold spots, but you will be hanging

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    I'm in exactly the same situation. Bought (spent all my $$) my HH and plan to hang at a scout hike on the 17th in NE Alabama. It's a hike in and out. I expect it to be cold. I'm hoping I can practice a little between now and then.

I have a decent mummy bag rated to 30*. I have a thermorest ridgerest now, but hopefully a Big Agnes Insulated AirCore before then. I have a large reflective windshield screen I could use. I was thinking of putting the pad and windshield screen in a fleece bag underneath, get in the bag or use it as a quilt and pull the tarp down low. I was also thinking of draping an emergency blanket over the netting.

What about putting an emergency blanket under the bottom of your hammock like an underquilt.

I'm sure all these things have been tried before. Thoughts?
    Last edited by AlabamaDan; 12-07-2011 at 16:33.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    I tried hanging last night in 40* weather. Just my 30* mummy bag in the hammock. Didn't work. Within a 1.5 hours my backside, shoulders and such were freezing. It wasn't a down bag, but synthetic. I aborted.

Tonight I'll try a pad and down bag.

I've seen some poeple on here using Heatsheets gathered underneath their hammock.. don't know how far it'll take but but will definitely help under a decent sleeping bag. Fixed by Doc did a cool video ona good cheap quick throw away UQ out of reflectix or windshield reflectors, it should be on youtube, check it out.

Also had a member recently on here stick some reflectix onto a cheap blue walmart closed cell foam pad and put some sticky stuff for your cabinet to keep dishes in place, on the bottom of the pad to prevent slippage. Dont' know if he's had a chance to test it but CCF pads are GREAT insulators.. just bulky, though VERY light

Well, weather update is showing a predicted low of 26.

I'm going to give it a shot, but I'll make sure that I have a spot available in a tent if I have to bail out.

I've got a CCF pad, a couple quilts and a 20-40 sleeping bag, and I don't think that's going to cut it, based on the feedback here.

Given how much colder a Hammock can be than a Tent, I don't think the gear I have is going to be adequate for that weather. However, I WILL be using it for our Pack's Mar/Apr/May Camping Trips.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Suspension
    SLS/Whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    I tried hanging last night in 40* weather. Just my 30* mummy bag in the hammock. Didn't work. Within a 1.5 hours my backside, shoulders and such were freezing. It wasn't a down bag, but synthetic. I aborted.

Tonight I'll try a pad and down bag.
    I picked it up from one of Shug's videos but a pad underneath you can do wonders. I was hanging the same weekend. i had a cheap Coleman 0-20 mummy bag (Synthetic of course). I had the pad underneath me and I zipped the bag up no more than thigh high. With the top of the bag I pulled it around myself and was as warm as can be. The tarp blocking some of the wind off of me may have helped. If you ever get down to south alabama and wanna hang let me know

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast