custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

like cake

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Some folks drink Coke, some folks drink Pepsi. Pepsi is sweeter, some people like that. Coke is a better mixer, some people like that. It really isn't much more than that when it comes to hammocks...of any kind
    "Some people drink Pepsi, some people drink Coke... the wacky morning DJ says democracy's a joke"

Hope that doesn't get me mod'd.

My 2cents having both... first, because HH was the leader in camping hammocks, you're going to have 90% of everybody going form HH to WB as a matter of default. People always like to try new and "improved" things and then there is also a tendency to overstate how much better the improvements are. That said, details do make a difference, and there's a lot of different details about the WB that are appealing.

I love the classic HH bottom entry. If you have to deal with bugs, especially at night, nothing is better than having a light on inside the hammock and getting in and out of the hammock with no bugs coming in - because they are attracted to the net area where they can see the light.

Other than that, there doesn't appear to be much to sell the HH these days other than the availability of different sizes. The lay is arguably better in the WB and throw in other details, not the least of which is weight, and you've arguably got a better hammock. Still, as an all-in-one package(complete with tarp), the HH is hard to beat.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    <snip>That said, details do make a difference, and there's a lot of different details about the WB that are appealing.

I love the classic HH bottom entry. If you have to deal with bugs, especially at night, nothing is better than having a light on inside the hammock and getting in and out of the hammock with no bugs coming in - because they are attracted to the net area where they can see the light.
    <snip>
    Excellent point I have not seen before, and a good tip on how to reduce the number of biting insects that come in with me no matter how fast I unzip, get in, and zip up again. Thanks.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG burrow &amp;pheonix
    Suspension
    Rings &amp; straps
    Images
    definitely deserves a try. just haven't been able to get comfy in the Hennessy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    {...}The bottom entry was a goofy gimmick that Tom was extremely attached to, and for most* users it's way more hassle than it is worth
    * the exception here is for those people who, for whatever reason, can't get into a side-load hammock. Some folks with mobility issues owe a lot to the bottom entry and it has made sleeping in the woods possible where it might not otherwise be. That's definitely commendable - it's just that the bottom entry is really annoying for MOST hammockers, and his refusal to offer anything else back then was incredibly frustrating.
    So I was about to go into a rant about the whole 'gimmick' thing 'till I read your caveat. I am one of those people who can't get into/out of a side entry hammock, and the HH has been a tremdous opportunity for me because without it I wouldn't be hangin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke1 View Post
    {...}just haven't been able to get comfy in the Hennessy.
    I've tried a couple of different HH models and the ExD was the most comfortable ones I tried. (I haven't tried safari or DJ, but I would suspect they are even more comfy) I would offer that you try chainging up how you hang it - IOW try hanging it looser, or tighter - I currently have an ExUL and had some troubles getting it 'Just Right', it took some time trying to figure what had to be where and how high, tight each end needed to be, etc. I finally found that my feet needed to be slightly higher than my head and that I had to 'hang and crank' (on the suspension) then get in, then get out and re-crank, then I was comfy.
    There's a lot out there on the forums about finding the right hang, much of which is specific to HH, take a bit and look around, there's alot of teqniques available, maybe one of them will suit you.

Good luck on your journey
    Cheers-
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I love my HH (side zip - had the bottom entry - too much velcro for long hair!) I like the attached bug net, here in Northern Ontario, the bugs can cart you off if you're not careful. I use a Jarbridge UQ from Arrowhead Equipment and have no complaints at all. Keep in mind I don't do winter camping though.
    I do think Arrowhead Equipment makes a quilt specific for the bottom entry HH though, I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but if you look at the site, it's easier enough to find.
    My HH is my first hammock I didn't know there were others out there when I bought it. But I can sleep for ten or eleven hours in that thing, why would I want to change that??
    Debi

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have a Hennessy Asym Explorer and a Clark NX-250. Both are good, but to me, the Clark is the Cadillac! Once you get the learning curve down, it is fantastic! I use a sleeping pad that inserts into the back of my Big Agnes sleeping bag and have no trouble finding the sweet spot!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123