Thread: 550 to Whoopie

550 to Whoopie

OK, so I hear that my 550 suspension is not going to be a good idea. (It was what I had on hand) And I keep seeing this whoopie thingy everywhere I look, so I broke down and splurged for a pair of 6'ers off ebay for $16. I guess I will give them a shot as soon as they get here...I'll use my 550 for a ridge line (non-structural I guess).

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Good call !

I love paracord. I hoard every last stinking scrap of it that I can because you never know when even a bit of it can come in handy (just today I was stringing up my tyvek tarp and was looking for an "acorn" alternative--tied a quick diamond/knife lanyard knot, cut off the ends on both sides and have a perfect little ball to wad the the tarp around and tie off).

While paracord may be the James Brown ('hardest working man in show business') of the cordage world, it makes for a pretty crummy suspension or structural ridgeline. You'll really like the Whoopie sling, and you can use some of that paracord to tie a solomon bar slider knot to keep the whoopie from sliding off your toggle :

Last edited by timabababaluka; 06-27-2012 at 17:19. Reason: confound the pronoun
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Nice knot, I like the colors.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugene View Post
    Nice knot, I like the colors.
    The colors that never run (unlike me--first sign of trouble, I'm usually a speck on the horizon ).

So if I don't use 550 for the ridge line, does that mean I need a 3rd whoopie for the RL? 1 for each end and the the RL?

Today I picked up 12' of 3mm coording from Outdoor Provision Co. that has like 545lb strength. Can I use that for RF? If so, hoow do I attach it?
    Last edited by Scottydog; 06-27-2012 at 19:56.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Primaloft PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Straps
    Images
    You won't necessarily need another whoopie for a ridgeline, but something from amsteel or zing it would be my choice. I have used 550 for a ridgeline on one of my hammocks that I use just for lounging, but for my go-to gear I use either of the above mentioned items.

I saw in your profile that you are in Raleigh. I am in Nash County and would be happy to help you out with getting your initial gear in order.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottydog View Post
    So if I don't use 550 for the ridge line, does that mean I need a 3rd whoopie for the RL? 1 for each end and the the RL?

Today I picked up 12' of 3mm coording from Outdoor Provision Co. that has like 545lb strength. Can I use that for RF? If so, hoow do I attach it?
    My ridgeline takes very little stress, so I just use a cheap poly rope rated at one or two hundred pounds. I tie a bowline on one side and larkshead it around the whoopie (although you could probably just slip the whoopie through the bowline). On the other side I tie a tautline around the whoopie so as to make my ridgeline adjustable.

If you plan on putting a lot of tension on your RL then go with zing it. If not, heck, just use what you've got (provided it's not nylon).

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    My ridgeline takes very little stress, so I just use a cheap poly rope rated at one or two hundred pounds. I tie a bowline on one side and larkshead it around the whoopie (although you could probably just slip the whoopie through the bowline). On the other side I tie a tautline around the whoopie so as to make my ridgeline adjustable.

If you plan on putting a lot of tension on your RL then go with zing it. If not, heck, just use what you've got (provided it's not nylon).
    I'm using 550 for the time being. I dont have any more amsteel. I'm using a bowline on the head end and simply wrapping the cord aroun the foot end and looping it back onto itself, then I use a prusik knot with a soft shackle to adjust as needed. For now it works. I will end up using amsteel, but I cannnot order any more right now. Kinda broke in the wallet department.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

• + New Posts