Hammock
    Crinkled Taffeta
    Tarp
    Under Construction
    Insulation
    Under Construction
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Is there a way that you can use these to replace a marlin spike in the MSH?
    I think I remember reading that, but can't remember where or figure out in my mind how it would work.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    No, you can't replace the toggle (marlin spike) in a MSH with a soft object.

You might be thinking of posters using the long edge of a climbing rated biner for the toggle or using a soft shackle/nacrabiner to attach to the sewn loop on the end of a tree strap.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 05-31-2012 at 11:17.

Hammock
    Crinkled Taffeta
    Tarp
    Under Construction
    Insulation
    Under Construction
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    That must be it. Thanks!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Instructional Video

I may have missed this somewhere in the thread, but here is a link to a Youtube video on how to make one of these complete with bury and step by step on tying the diamond knot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH66tGsWv_Y

In the video above, larger diameter Amsteel is used, so it's pretty easy to see what's going on.

Another great link where 7/64" Amsteel is used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bwKJIhSLEs
    Last edited by markrvp; 12-02-2012 at 22:14. Reason: Additional information added

Hammock
    DIY Green Cat cut
    Tarp
    SUPA FLY
    Insulation
    golite TQ, Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    ok these have some serious options! i'm really excited!

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    My first contribution to this great forum.

I use a homemade version of these on sailboats using 1/8 spectra or vectran to replace a clevis or shackle. Spectra handles the chafe a little better than vectran, but I have a lot of 1/8" vectran on hand. Probably some good applications for ultralight folks or hammocks.

http://www.kohlhoff-online.de/index....=90&Itemid=126

These could be used in suspension systems in place of biners, marlin spike hitches and other areas where two lines or eyes needs to be joined quickly.

These work by allowing one side of the loop to adjust opening the eye and when tension is applied the eye closes and secures the knot end. Very easy to make if you have any skills at all splicing 12 strand.

Any strong stopper knot will work on the end, I use a special knot (it's probably a lanyard knot) so that I can cut the tails very short, but it is complex knot to tie while balancing the lengths of the two "legs". A good stopper knot with a little extra tail is much simpler.

They are very strong, the applications are for racing sailboats, where weight and strength are at a premium.

I believe APS sells these as well as the Tylaska Spool Shackle, which is another great way to form a cow hitch when you don't have access to the end of the line.

=====

MOD'S EDIT: See Post 71 for Schneiderlein's findings re: load testing the shackles:
    sweet.....this is the answer to the my spindrift storage issue.im going to replace the steel piece in the head end of my ridge runner.i wont have to take the suspension apart if i dont want to use spindrift.just undo the loop ,take the line out of webbing,pull the spreader bars and hammock out of the drift.reconect go to other side do the same .now you can roll up the drift ,and store it in the foot end rolled up nice, and neat.with this loop it will only take moments to deploy, or store,would be strong and light.great job dude you made my day....hairbear..ps ill cut a little slit in the drift so the knot can get through,using a small piece of velcro to seal it back up.id buy you lunch one day if we ever meet.

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    i made it about 3/4 through this thread and got side tracked by the ring buckle thread and read it all the way through. finally got around to finishing this one up. i gotta make a few of these. there's so many times i wish i had an extra biner or 4, but i can't justify the cost.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, HH UL Explr Asym
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Lanyard / Diamond now an Animated Knot by Grog

I know this is an old thread, but a few of the earlier posters were lamenting the fact that descriptions on how to tie the lanyard (diamond) knot were not available on the Animated Knots by Grog website. But at some point since those posts, the lanyard knot has been added, and makes it very easy to tie. I'm not very adept at this, and I got it on the first try!

http://www.animatedknots.com/lanyard/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I've made two of these this evening, and while the diamond knot was intimidating at first, it isn't too bad, just a little tedious to dress properly. I got all my instruction from http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_9.php, and the included calculator really helped.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    sweet.....this is the answer to the my spindrift storage issue.im going to replace the steel piece in the head end of my ridge runner.i wont have to take the suspension apart if i dont want to use spindrift.just undo the loop ,take the line out of webbing,pull the spreader bars and hammock out of the drift.reconect go to other side do the same .now you can roll up the drift ,and store it in the foot end rolled up nice, and neat.with this loop it will only take moments to deploy, or store,would be strong and light.great job dude you made my day....hairbear..ps ill cut a little slit in the drift so the knot can get through,using a small piece of velcro to seal it back up.id buy you lunch one day if we ever meet.
    Hey there hairbear, I'd like to follow up on this post since I am thinking of doing something similar to make my Spindrift easy to store and deploy on the fly. Would you mind posting a photo or two of this? Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast