WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have both and as mentioned, the shelf is one of the big differences. Having the bugnet separate gives you more options for lounging or dayhiking.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FWIW, the packed bulk of the Traveler plus bugnet is more than that of the Blackbird. If pack real estate is an issue, stick with the WBBB!

I solved the problem by having both...WBBB for buggy seasons and environments with a Traveler for cool/cold weather (with a bugnet just in case).
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post

I solved the problem by having both...WBBB for buggy seasons and environments with a Traveler for cool/cold weather (with a bugnet just in case).
    Same here

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

But when it is cooler...

...it is nice to have BB with sides and bug-net to protect You from cold wind blows even if You lose some of the visibility.

Traveller dl 1.7 with bugnet 39,5 oz with adjustable webbing
    BB dl 1.7 40 oz with adjustable webbing

So...

1. BB weights almost same than Traveller with bug-net

2. Bug-net is must have if it is warm, there are always some bugs around.

3. If it is cooler and/or wind blows then there are no bugs but you need some protection from cold or/and from wind. Bug-net keeps the warmth around You. And once again bug-net is must have.

First conclusion: With these premises there is no place for Traveller. And with BB there is very useful shelf as an extra.

Second conlusion: Only if there are no bugs and it is warm enough or hammmock is used just for lounging during brake Traveller wins.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    When I think I'm going to spend a lot of time in the hammock or when the weather is colder on a camping trip, I take the Blackbird because I'll have more stuff in the hammock with me and like having the pocket and netting to keep things from dropping on the ground.

If I don't think I'm going to spend a lot of time in the hammock or wanting to go lighter I take the Traveller with bugnet.

I got the Blackbird with 1.1 double layer and straps and then the Traveller with single layer and I put whoopie slings on it so there is a weight savings with my setups. It's about a pound lighter so a decent savings when you're counting ounces.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by voivalin View Post
    ...it is nice to have BB with sides and bug-net to protect You from cold wind blows even if You lose some of the visibility.
    The top fabric doesn't cut the wind much, but it does trap exhaled moisture for condensation. And wind should mostly be blocked by a properly pitched tarp. Insulation is more effective, per ounce of weight, in other pieces of gear than the hammock itself.

My experience shows that it's just the opposite. The BlackBird is the one with the narrower range of use. I only want the netting at specific times in warm weather..and never when it's cold.

BB weights almost same than Traveller with bug-net

Bug-net is must have if it is warm, there are always some bugs around.
    The weight of the combo is the same, so there is no benefit to not being able to remove the netting when you don't need it. This year alone I've taken the lighter Traveler on 15 or so warm weather trips where I didn't need the netting at all.

If that makes 'no place for the Traveler', you can all send them to me for disposal. I'll take one for the team.

Both are fine hammocks!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

**** You angrysparrow!

It would be better if You changed Your opinion! I have been fighting many weeks against urge to get me a Traveller and now You tried to call my bluff.

I all ready have two Blackbirds, one 10 feet x 6,5 feet cotton hammock from Brasil, almost as big Hamatex hammock and "one ticket to the moon" with bug-net. I do not need another hammock...

**** You!!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I do not need another hammock...
    On HF, you won't ever get advice to not buy a hammock...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    How about this?

Buy a Blackbird but make your own Traveler.

Since it has no zips and attached netting the Traveler is an easy project. I think my sticky in the DIY section produces a hammock much like the traveler.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    It would be better if You changed Your opinion! I have been fighting many weeks against urge to get me a Traveller and now You tried to call my bluff.

I all ready have two Blackbirds, one 10 feet x 6,5 feet cotton hammock from Brasil, almost as big Hamatex hammock and "one ticket to the moon" with bug-net. I do not need another hammock...

**** You!!

LOL! So the 1.7 dbl BB weighs 0.5 oz more than the Traveler with net. Not much to debate about there one way or the other, except maybe for the most obsessive of gram weenies. I was surprised the Traveler Net combo was lighter, because the WB net weighs at least twice as much as the net I removed from a HH Expl. But I suppose the extra weight of fulllength zippers, shelf and footbox slightly exceed the weight of the net below you with the Traveler net.

But it has been pointed out that the volume of the BB is less, so that may count for more with those whose packs are always lacking adequate volume. For me this has not yet been a problem with the packs I am likely to use.

BUT: The Traveler/Net combo costs $35 less! That is enough to be significant for a lot of people. And for the gram counters, 0.5 oz lighter to boot! Lighter and cheaper!

And: you should not need a dbl layer, at least for protection of your back side from Mossies. The net hangs far enough below the hammock to solve any problem with that. Unless the mossies got inside anyway and you didn't manage to kill them before passing out. But then your top side would be at risk also, so.....? So, more weight savings by using a single layer hammock. Naturally, if you need the 2nd layer for a pad or additional hammock strength, the above is irrelevant.

And, how about this: What about sitting in the hammock while the mossies rage? I can do this with the Traveler net closed. Pretty difficult to do that with the BB. ( EDIT: see follow up post, I don't think this is reall practical with most hammocks)

And: serves as light duty gear hammock. I have thrown some light weight stuff down there with no problem.

So, Traveller(or other hammock)plus net pros:
    1: lower cost
    2: lighter weight ( 0.5 oz baby! )
    3:double layer not needed for Mossies ( so lighter weight again IF that is why you want a dbl layer)
    4:Can be left at home when bugs are no issue ( more weight savings)
    5: Can sit in the hammock and still have pretty good bug protection ( Edit: or probably not actually!)
    6:very light duty gear hammock
    7: Oh, for those who might like an additional bit of warmth from the hammock net blocking breezes, you will mow also have that benefit below the hammock. IOW, a serves as a VERY light duty wind/drizzle sock.

Cons:
    1: more volume
    2: Is there maybe more room inside a zipped up BB, unless you rigged a tie out for the Traveler Net?
    3: No shelf. I do love the shelf, but one can always hang thing over the RL in a container, etc, and just reach out of the hammock where things are on the ground.
    4: ?

But either way is good. But if you need a net for some other hammocks you like to use, the cost factor becomes more significant.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-14-2010 at 12:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast