Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Just to throw in a follow up, my brother and I will be attending (regardless of the date).

I just sent in my order for my first hammock and my brother may be looking to convert. Most gear/techniques will be new to me (and him) so anything with some in camp downtime (aka gawk at other's gear) would be cool. We are born and raised in the region (Northwest Indiana) and have just started to get back into the outdoors/backpacking. We've only visited Low Gap Trail (last year) so far in Souther Indiana. As far as we are concerned, anything in a forest is a welcome change of scenery so feel free pick any place. I am sure everyone will be happy in the end.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    The gawk time is a must! Glad to here both of you will be attending.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds like something of interest to me also.
    I am new to both backpacking and hammocks, 1st year ( 3 trips beyond the backyard hangs). I like both activities, but find hills do not agree with me, so flatter trails of medium length suit me fine.
    Have done a small section of the Adventure trail and it kicked my butt (ps NO Water, it must be carried in).
    Last edited by exdiver; 12-29-2009 at 20:38.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    That leaves us with the weekend of the 16th or the 30th (Easter is ruled out).

I did part of the Tecumseh Trail this year and didn't think too highly of it. I've heard nothing but good about the Deam. There also seems some positive feedback for it. If the trail is busy that day, we can make a last minute change of location. Everyone can print out a copy of the trail map, so no problem in making a change of trail at the Deam. I would defer leadership to someone else with more knowledge and experience wants to lead - I just like the idea of getting outdoors with some HF members and checking out people's rigs.

I was thinking a yearly Hoosier Hang would move locations, so that we can experience different trails at various parks, etc...
    I'd prefer to avoid the 30th as that's the most likely time I'd be taking my son on his birthday backpacking trip. OTOH, I might be able to talk him into going along...
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Buckle
    Images
    bonsaihiker - how old is your son? Sounds great having some father and son time. Has he done the backpacking hammocking?

exdiver - yeah, flatter trails and medium miles seems like ideal backpacking. The body doesn't take a beating and there's more time for gawking it up! Six miles on relatively flat ground is enjoyable for me, eight miles and I can get grumpy if I haven't seen flat ground. LOL

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've got a 13 year old that likes to hang. Not sure if he will be going on this trip though. Kind of depends on how it develops and when it is.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing &amp; Buckle
    Images
    Oms - what would you like to see happen? Without the input of all interested, it's hard to know how to develop this hang to get the most people involved.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    The trails we are considering here, the Crescent Valley, Brown Hollow, Browning Hill, Bad Hollow and Hayes Branch all have hills. CV and BH have the least for a moderate hike. BH has about 14 saddles, some large some small, as well as BH and HB would be considered moderate/strenuous. It may take some a little longer but all these are doable. My five year old grandson did BH this summer without a rest break either way.
    Remember, we all have to hike our own hike. Some slow, some faster; faster for sure than am I.
    All of these trails mentioned are nothing like the Smokeys. Compared to the Smokeys these are really easy. Compared to Mount Rogers, these are a little harder.
    Whoever makes this hiken, no matter how slow you hike, we will get you there. I will walk with the slow group probably.
    I don't go out there to prove my fitness anymore. I go because I love the place.
    Walking these trails is not a difficult challenge.
    Here they are again, mileages given for one way:
    1. Brown Hollow, 2,
    2. Crescent valley 2
    3. Browning Hill 3
    4. Bad Hollow 4
    5. Hayes Branch 4 to 5
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    bonsaihiker - how old is your son? Sounds great having some father and son time. Has he done the backpacking hammocking?
    My son is 6, this will be his 7th birthday, and his third birthday backpacking trip. The time is better than great . . . there is nothing like it. We both hammocked last year, but he has outgrown his little DIY hammock, so I made him a new one this year. Both kids got one for Christmas, complete with bug netting and reversible stuff sacks with fleece panels to use as pillows. His is blue, hers is grey/pink.

As far as the type of terrain/mileage, I'm good for whatever the majority wants. I like having water available to reduce my pack weight, so I would pick a trail with water stops over a totally dry trail, but I can accommodate either.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    My son is 6, this will be his 7th birthday, and his third birthday backpacking trip. The time is better than great . . . there is nothing like it. We both hammocked last year, but he has outgrown his little DIY hammock, so I made him a new one this year. Both kids got one for Christmas, complete with bug netting and reversible stuff sacks with fleece panels to use as pillows. His is blue, hers is grey/pink.

As far as the type of terrain/mileage, I'm good for whatever the majority wants. I like having water available to reduce my pack weight, so I would pick a trail with water stops over a totally dry trail, but I can accommodate either.
    TroutEhCuss and bonsaihiker, I think we should go ahead and rule out Bad Hollow (too far) and Browning Hill (bad water), using BH for a possible day hike destination. What other places are being suggested? I may also bring my 5 year old grandson if some other kids are coming. It's always fun with the kids there.
    Crescent Valley is enough of a hike to give you a sense that you are OUT THERE, but is doable for the kids if we take the one big hill slowly. On that hike, you turn up a spur and climb it out of the valley to the top, then walk down the ridge for about few minutes then drop down going North into CV. It's a fairly hard bushwhack for Indiana, but we do have all day. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast