Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    UK hammock UQ & SB
    Suspension
    Woopies

Best fabric for DIY hammock

Hi,

I'm saving up for a good rig from WB, but while I'm wating I wanna make a DIY rig for myself and a buddy. I live in Denmark so I think that http://www.extremtextil.de is a good place to shop. The question now is. What fabrics should I use??

I weigh 230 lb or 105 kg. I'm 185 cm as is my buddy.

I wanna make a simple gathert end hammock hopefully in single layer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    The best thing would be a fabric that is curenty in stock and ready to ship :-)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Stay away from the Jersey fabrics. They are knits and not suitable for weight bearing applications, unless of course you want to end up on the ground from the stretch. Polyester or nylon fabric untreated is what most people end up using. Ripstop or taffeta are both reasonable choices. My personal preference is polyester taffeta.

Neoprene sounds a little kinky but I doubt it would be a successful choice if for no other reason and bulk.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    UK hammock UQ & SB
    Suspension
    Woopies
    I def. have my sights on ripstop but the question is what type. Untreated is fine but what quality.

Can you/anyone look at the site and maybe give me a hint? :-)

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Having just made two hammocks I can highly recommend anything from http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/ I know it's not in Denmark but you will get good quality product and good service.

In particular I used the 2.8oz plain weave fabric. It's very strong, easy to work with and feels good against your skin. Nothing wrong with ripstop at all though. If you are after strength the 2.8 plain weave is stronger as it is a 70 x 100 denier per Scott at DIY. Hope this helps.
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    On warbonnets website they have a chart that is very helpful as far as what weight fabric to use for your body weight etc. I weigh about the same as you---1.9 ripstop seems to do just fine. I tried some 1.5 from diygear supply---it was strong enough, but seems a little more stretchy. I've never had the fabric of a hammock split on me and dump me on the ground--------but I always error on the side of safety, and use a heavier fabric than is technically required-------I tend to sleep better!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

I've made several hammocks since the 1990s and used one of them for 5 months on the Appalachian Trail. I weigh from 200 to 235 pounds and stand a bit over 6 feet tall. I've used polyester mesh (mosquitoes bite right through it), 1.1 oz parachute nylon (too stretchy), 1.9 oz bargain ripstop, and Tyvek Homewrap (not adequate for my weight), and have hung them from 3/8 inch MuleTape (scary), Spectra line (good, but requires 'tree huggers"), cheap polyethylene rope, and polypropylene webbing. These days I use uncoated 1.9 oz ripstop with 1.5 inch polypro webbing for the support lines and simple double sheet bends to attach the webbing directly to the hemmed hammock body. The webbing is easier on trees and eliminates extra 'tree huggers." I use any strong cord (1/4 inch spectra) as the static line between the ends of the hammock body. The static line keeps the sag uniform from set-up to set-up and therefore makes set-up fast and easy. It also supports the mosquito net.

And, by the way, the supplier you posted has polyester taffeta. Polyester stretches much less then nylon, but is a bit heavier for the same strength. It makes a fine hammock becayse of its low stretch if weight is not a critical consideration.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    UK hammock UQ & SB
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

Have been doing a bit of contemplating on the subject and I think I really like this one:
    http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/R...m-2::1749.html

Anyone with any experience with this sort of thing?? :-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have some very similar material, in a 300 by 400 denier. I didn't see the denier on that, but I can tell you, you will not like the "hand" on that. It is pretty difficult to sew, difficult to roll hems, difficult to feed through the machine unless you have a walking foot (the stiffness of the fabric, and the slickness, just make it funky). Just my two cents. if you try it, please post how it turned out.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Woodsman X single
    Tarp
    Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    I would go for this one personally, you need your hammock material to allow your body to breath slightly.

Mat
    Don't mess with Mother Nature as we are small and biodegradable!

http://ukhammocks.com

Mats YouTube Channel
    "Making it a great night in the woods!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast