Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Thoughts on mayan hammocks?

I currently sleep full-time in a brazillian hammock, basically a large cotton sheet. I was considering getting a Mayan hammock, but wanted to hear some thoughts on the matter before I go off and buy one.

-Aduro
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AduroNox View Post
    I currently sleep full-time in a brazillian hammock, basically a large cotton sheet. I was considering getting a Mayan hammock, but wanted to hear some thoughts on the matter before I go off and buy one.

-Aduro
    I bought a family sized one from mayans.com recently. Amazingly fast shipping and great service. I LOVE it... I've not used a Brazilian (though I guess my nylon camping hammock has similar properties), so I can't compare, but the Mayan is very comfortable. I love how it conforms to my shape in every way, sinking in to exactly match my body. The only negative that I see is that you can feel the individual strings a bit if you don't wear at least some shorts and a t-shirt (don't worry, mine's in the house!), though I'm getting used to that and hardly notice anymore.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If you are going to be using it for full-time sleep, I have 4 words for you; Spend lots of money! The lower priced Mayan hammocks are all but unsuitable for sleeping in night after night. The threads are thin and the weaves are more open. The result is a full body tattoo of the hammock pattern in the mornings and worse yet, the occasional pinch of flesh. The higher-end models use a tighter weave as well as larger diameter cord. They are generally very soft and supple and provide a great night's sleep. Two more words; Go Big! In my experience, the best way to sleep in a Mayan is perpendicular. In a large enough Mayan, I can get just as flat of a lay as I can in a Bridge style hammock. It takes a wide hammock bed and A LOT of sag; probably twice as much as I use for a gathered-end camping hammock.

If you are anything like me, you'll keep your Brazilian for the bedroom and the Mayan for the yard or for the guest that will be staying a night or two with you. I've got my eye on a sleeper Mayan right now, the price is over $200, but man o man is it a comfy ride. The sub $100 Mayans vary greatly in quality and you may just get lucky and find a gem in the rough, but the odds are against you. I have one that I think I only paid $30 for and it is a very comfortable hammock. The threads are thin, but still (somehow) soft. I think what saves this particular one is the fact that the weave is tighter than any other I've seen in the base category. If only it wasn't orange!

Another thing to consider is that the feel of a Mayan is very much different from a Brazilian. Cousins maybe, but not siblings. I would encourage you to spend a little first and see if you like the lay. I can't really describe the difference, but it's there. Like I said, perpendicular is more comfortable (to me) than diagonal. If you get one and it isn't comfortable to you 'out of the box', spend some time in it trying different positions to find your sweet zone. Just a different beastie than the Brazilians. For lower-end Mayans (far from the bottom shelf), I really like ordering from Hammocks Rada. I've most always had good service, their prices can't be beat, and their hammocks seem to be quality for what they are. This one isn't bad for $45. I've slept a week or so in a row in that hammock and was on the positive side of happy.

A word of caution from one who has the merit badge; get out of 'bed' slowly in the mornings. I once got a toe caught in the weave of the fabric and didn't realize it until I was shifting my weight to exit. There are few things worse than a faceplant out of your hammock first thing in the morning.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dang it, Cannibal! We live in a small cottage with correspondingly small rooms. In short, I have no place to hang one of those big boys. Now you've convinced me I need one. Arghhh!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good news oldgringo, they don't actually take as much room as the Brazilians because I hang them with way more sag. I'd have to measure when I got home, but I think the Mayan currently hanging in the guestroom is about 13' long. I doubt my attachment points are 10' apart.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Good news oldgringo, they don't actually take as much room as the Brazilians because I hang them with way more sag. I'd have to measure when I got home, but I think the Mayan currently hanging in the guestroom is about 13' long. I doubt my attachment points are 10' apart.
    Uh-oh!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    I've seen sites selling Mayan hammocks recommend 3/4 of the length of the hammock. Mine is about 13.3 feet long (I didn't measure it, just going from the specs on their website) and my support spacing is 11.5 feet.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

Not a Mayan

...but a Brazilian...is that *gasp!* a snakeskin I see?

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...ianhammock.cfm
    Dave

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Mayan

I've been sleeping in my Clark indoors... it's pretty much overkill but my only option right now.

My income last year was $6500 so spending $200 for a hammock to sleep in is out of the question... does anyone have a website for a GOOD Mayan Hammock I can buy for under $50?

Help?
    Thanks!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I think you got me sold on getting one...............Thanks!!!!!!
    Fancee Feest = preferred alcohol stove of "informed backpackers"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast