RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps

Not Fancy but hot pea pod!!

It's 84 degrees so the test hang was very short. I just took a 0*Alps bag and cut a hole in the foot end and taped it up since I don't sew. Kinda crude but it sure is hot in there. Only problem I had was getting the bag zipped up once I was in there. I think the answer is attach the left side of the bag to the hammock (WBBB) with velcro or something like that. I can only imagine how warm it will be in the winter but I bet it will go into the single digits and maybe below. Bag is synthetic fluffy stuff and the loft is about 3". Icouldn't tell if there was any compression of the bag while I was inside but Idon't think there was since I couldn't feel the bag very well when it was zipped. The plan is to have a breathing hole at the head to deal with condensation.

Comments please??

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    That sure looks warm! Let us know how it works out for you.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    The perennial problem with sleeping bag to peapod conversions is how to get the bag snugged up to you underneath the hammock. Air space equals cold space. Good luck. Let us know how it works when you get a chance for a backyard test next Winter.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Lowrider, I second Timberrr's comment.

You may need to consider attachment points at the head end of the bag to snug it up to the underside of the hammock. 1/8" bungee cord is often used for that application. Attach it to the Alps bag, hang it over the end of the hammock, and adjust as needed....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Leighlo 66" 30* UQ
    Suspension
    stock WBBB webbing
    Being brand new to this whole hanging thing, why would that air space be an issue? Wouldn't your body heat warm that air up and the bag keep it warm, as long as there weren't any drafts to let the air out?

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor 3x4m
    Insulation
    Built-in (Fat)
    Suspension
    Ring suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by fly-chucker View Post
    Being brand new to this whole hanging thing, why would that air space be an issue? Wouldn't your body heat warm that air up and the bag keep it warm, as long as there weren't any drafts to let the air out?
    I believe what they are referring to is air space between the bottom of the hammock and the pea pod.
    Just like the cold air under a bridge in a Minnesota Winter makes the bridge itself much colder. At least I think that is what they meant.

I am also new to this hammock thing, but am learning more and more. The dead air space in the photo lead me to the same conclusion, the bag being snug against the bottom of the hammock.

What if a ridgeline were used and some bungee cords were sewn into the sides of the pea pod (inside it) and ran up to something like a shower curtain ring, (not actually a shower curtain ring, but something that works like that). That way, when one wanted to exit the hammock, you would simply slide everything down and out of the way, just like sliding a shower curtain out of the way? Im thinking on my own here without any adult supervision so if this don't make sense, just ignore LOL
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Leighlo 66" 30* UQ
    Suspension
    stock WBBB webbing
    Be careful with that thinking thing, it can be dangerous

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    That big hole at the foot end is gonna be like an open window in February.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    heres my -20 alps done up allmost the same.

to snug mine up i sewed some loops of ribbon on and use some shock cord just like a regular undequilt,to adjust the undersag.these also keep the bag from falling off when you unzip it to get out.
    i put the hood on the top and tuck that in over my chest.

the foot end i sewed a bit of cloth on and have a series of two draw strings with line locks.i stick a sweater or something in between them to plug the hole then tighten the draw strings.

i slept in mine in a blizzard 7degf and 40 mile an hour wind and snow.was warm all night.was actually a bit surprised to wake and see all the drifted snow.the thing i do not like about it is i can not curl up in a ball in it the bag is to narrow.
    i think the way you have yours will work just stuff something in the foot end to stop any drafts and figure a way to hang the front end a little so you can get rid of the air space.
    Bill
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Thanks Lone!!

I have not played with this set-up at all...just came to me this morning and out came the knife. I looked at the sag and came to the same conclusion...needs a support system to keep it in place. Someone else suggested a pickup cargo net to support the bag and that seems to make sense using some bungy to hold it up against the bottow of the hammock.

It was way too hot and humid to spend much time experimenting today but I think the concept is sound. Now I need to do some sewing and maybe wait for Fall to continue development.

Any other comments are welcome!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast